Author Topic: My son has earned his kilt  (Read 558 times)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Re: My son has earned his kilt
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2013, 04:45:55 PM »
Congrats to your son from another piper.  Is that the Canadian school he's at Curval?  I probably know some of the older instructors, the founder of both that piping school and the one in the maritimes instructed me back in the early 1980's.  I played with Canada's drill band for all the the Expo world's fairs back then, and most of my fellow pipers went on to play with Simon Fraser University and the 78th Fraser from Ontario, both having done well in the world pipe band competition over the years.

I remember the first day I was allowed to play and march with my band of about 50 pipers and drummers, it was quite the experience being in that much noise and sound in step marching together, and doing various drill maneuvers.  I think I was about the same age, 12 going on 13 if I remember correctly.  I envy your son, he's coming up in time of great new technology for piping, the reeds, bags, new drone manufacturing processes - everything is incredible compared to when I was coming up.  Tell him great job and to keep it up.

Is he using a standard practice chanter for playing at home?  A great gift idea for xmas is one of the newer electronic practice chanters if he doesn't use one already.  I got one for my 40th bday last week, and even though I don't play much anymore, it's nice to put on the headphones and play without bothering anyone else in the house, plane, doctors office, or where ever else I find myself surrounded by others.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2013, 05:33:14 PM »
very nice  :rock :rock.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 02:16:18 AM »
Wouldn't earning your kilt require something like giving an englishman a glasgow kiss and molesting some sheep?

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2013, 05:09:59 AM »
Congrats to your son from another piper.  Is that the Canadian school he's at Curval?  I probably know some of the older instructors, the founder of both that piping school and the one in the maritimes instructed me back in the early 1980's.  I played with Canada's drill band for all the the Expo world's fairs back then, and most of my fellow pipers went on to play with Simon Fraser University and the 78th Fraser from Ontario, both having done well in the world pipe band competition over the years.

I remember the first day I was allowed to play and march with my band of about 50 pipers and drummers, it was quite the experience being in that much noise and sound in step marching together, and doing various drill maneuvers.  I think I was about the same age, 12 going on 13 if I remember correctly.  I envy your son, he's coming up in time of great new technology for piping, the reeds, bags, new drone manufacturing processes - everything is incredible compared to when I was coming up.  Tell him great job and to keep it up.

Is he using a standard practice chanter for playing at home?  A great gift idea for xmas is one of the newer electronic practice chanters if he doesn't use one already.  I got one for my 40th bday last week, and even though I don't play much anymore, it's nice to put on the headphones and play without bothering anyone else in the house, plane, doctors office, or where ever else I find myself surrounded by others.

Yes Canadian school.  I suspect you'd know his teacher (and academic advisor) - Jim McGillvary?  When I took my son for some lessons here on the island I was asked who my son's instructor was and I said "Jim McGillvary" and the two instructors that were there kind of laughed and said "Well, no doubt he's in charge of the program, but who actually teaches him?"  I answered "Jim McGillvary".  They were shocked and quite honestly - jealous.  One of the instructors was flying up to get some personal instruction from him, at his own cost, later that month.  Those were his (Jim's) words that described my son in the post above.  I don't know the other instructors yet.

The electronic chanter is a great idea.  I don't really mind it but my son's sister HATES hearing the chanter or bagpipes now.  Quite a bit of sibling rivalry going on there.  She is only 9 but cannot stand the attention her brother gets because of the pipes and his success in school.  I am not worried about it though.  She plans on becoming a lawyer, and she should, believe me.  Her law career though is scheduled to begin AFTER she becomes a famous singer or actress.  lol
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2013, 05:13:43 AM »
Where do you live Gman?  Anywhere near Toronto?  We should hook up, I'd love for you to meet my son.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain