Author Topic: Build #1  (Read 502 times)

Offline wiskyfog

• Copper Member
Build #1
« on: December 23, 2013, 01:30:24 PM »
I'm looking to build/upgrade a pc. what i'm experiencing is info overload when it comes to the components being balanced/compatible with eah other. is there a thing like a configurator to mix and match hardware?
The Alchemists-- "Always brewin up sumptin"

Offline 68valu

• Nickel Member
Re: Build #1
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 04:38:27 PM »
first thing is to pick a CPU and matching motherboard socket. Like an intel i5 core socket 1150 and  motherboard with an 1150 socket.

Here is an example only of a matching set:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1515377

then look at the specs on the motherboard and see what the memory specifications are and find that type.

now for video cards, that would be a matter of use, meaning a gaming rig would be better with a stand alone card(PCIex16 slot on the motherboard), but just a computer for household that is not graphics demanding might not require a video card. I think most of the i5 or i7 series CPU's have limited graphics on the chip.

many additional options are out there like HDD or SSD (hard drive or solid state drive), sound card, operating system ETC.

newegg has a basic computer building tutorial on their website that is helpful located on this page: http://www.newegg.com/Computer-Hardware/Store

I am by no means an expert and many of our other readers can help better than myself. I just build my systems for the fun of it.

68valu

Flying since tour 84

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 05:01:23 PM »
I'm looking to build/upgrade a pc. what i'm experiencing is info overload when it comes to the components being balanced/compatible with eah other. is there a thing like a configurator to mix and match hardware?

post your budget.  some of the guys will give you an opinion and you can make your own decision. 

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 05:05:16 PM »
PCpartpicker has a quite nice building aid on their site: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/. Be sure to check the option for matching parts only. There's many other adjustable variables, too. At least all your components would match. Balance is another subject.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 06:32:12 PM »
Whatever you end up buying don't skimp on the power supply you'll be sorry of you d.  Maybe not right away but it'll be a problem. Do your homework.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 10:57:17 AM »
just got my evga 770 card yesterday.  thing is great and quiet as hell.  I have to look down to make sure the thing is on as I dont year the fans.  the damn thing doesnt hit over 60 degress c and is cooler than my cpu at idle.  30v32 degrees.

one thing I found out really weird is that the 109-g14 or the k4 cant remember which one has a bluish glow around the icon tag.  always thought it was my previous card that had that problem but I see it in the new one too.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 07:23:12 AM »
one thing I found out really weird is that the 109-g14 or the k4 cant remember which one has a bluish glow around the icon tag. 
Try with a different text size for the icons. I've noticed some sizes to be blurry while others are sharp. Just a wild guess.

@wiskyfog: +1 on posting your budget here for suggestions. Another way is to plan a build with e.g. the partpicker and send it here for reviews. Reading the suggestions on this very forum from the last year or even half of it would give you a good starting point.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni