Author Topic: Don't take chances  (Read 714 times)

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
Re: Don't take chances
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 11:34:27 AM »
All I has was I got very nauseous sick enough that I went to my doctor. They called the ambulance and I had a stent put in. In the ambulance they gave me a nitro pill and I felt better real quick.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 12:01:18 PM »
I was having strange feelings in my chest about 14 years ago.  I told my Dr about it and, after a checkup and an EKG she told me it was probably nothing and that I was too young (40's at the time) to be having any serious issues.  Over the next month or so my symptoms became more frequent and more severe however I wouldn't describe what I felt as pain. 

I went back to the Dr and told her it was starting to scare me.  She hooked up a Holter monitor (portable EKG) and told me to keep a diary of the times and duration of my symptoms.  This was on a Thursday and I dropped off the monitor on Friday with the diary book filled with entries.

On Monday morning my Dr called telling me I had to check into the hospital.  I was leaving on Tuesday to go home for Christmas and told her I'd check in as soon as I returned.  She said "You don't get it.  You're checking in this morning".

I had a 95% blockage in my right coronary artery and got a stent placed to open it and, according to the cardiologist, was having a heart attack as they prepped me for surgery which was done the day I checked in.

Despite the fact they told me no damage had been done to my heart I've since had a regular heart arythmia.  It causes a similar feeling to the one I had when this began and takes my breath away, sometimes severely.  I take medications to try to control it.

About 12 years ago I had a minor stroke.  I didn't go into the Dr until about 4-5 days later when the numbness in my left arm/face/side weren't going away.  My Dr yelled at me but beside that, after the full gamet of tests, there was nothing to be done about it.  I still have recurring symptoms from this when I'm tired.

I've had regular visits with my cardiologist ever since.  My cholesteral and triglyceride numbers are almost spot on although my good cholesteral never gets as high as they'd like.  Every few years I go through the entire series of tests (EKG, Cat Scan, Cardioechogram, Stress test, etc.) and every time I come up clean yet I still feel symptoms similar to those of both my blocked artery and stroke from time to time.

My point in all of this is that it's very difficult to know when and when not to call 911.  A few weeks ago I lost taste in, and was getting numbness in the right side of my tounge.  After calling my Dr then visiting the clinic at work I ended up in ER.  After the full gamet of testing turned up nothing I convinced them to let me go.  It turned out to be the onset of Bells Palsey (for my third time which thankfully resolved itself in a week).

In the meantime I haven't changed my lifestyle.  I sill smoke, drink, eat bad things in moderation and don't excersise much.  I figure one day I'll just keel over and die because I won't be able to decipher what's normal from what's not.  Either that or I'll be riding in ambulances several times a year for nothing so I tend away from having these things checked on constantly.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2014, 02:05:53 PM »
Jim

Glad to here your ok bud I had the exact same thing happen to me at the age of 35 same results high percent blockage and a stent. The Widow Maker missed me this time.

:salute

Molsman
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-
               Wait n Bleed

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2014, 03:20:39 PM »
  Take care Jim,glad you are ok it can be a scary thing to go through.

I saw a cardiologist last year,he told me I had a health heart...I looked at him and said are you sure..... :O  I was having medication issues,as soon as I stopped taking the 1 med I felt better in a day or so.

Look after yourself Jim,take the time to smell the roses! :aok

:salute

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 05:46:04 PM »
The problem is how to know when its real or when its the cheeseburgers you washed down with beer for lunch.

I dropped at work 3 years ago and spent 3 days in ICU cause my heart couldnt regulate my blood pressure. They did every test they had, including an angio, and never found out what in Hell the problem was. They said my arteries were clean and the defibs I was feeling werent really defibs. To this day I dont know what it was.
Maybe was good cheeseburgers and bad beer? No, not possible I know. Glad it wasn't serious. I have ms so any little twinge I right off as nerve damage. In my case with arm numbness was carpal tunnel. Easy to fix, but scared me a bit
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 05:48:56 PM »
Glad you had it taken care of. The depression will pass, probably faster than your cravings for good ole cholesterol dripping fried foods. That's the hardest part I think. Hard to eat a salad with steak or cheese burgers right there so close :bhead :ahand
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2014, 06:26:48 PM »
Almost all the heart attak patients I transport in my plane are grossly overweight and have that 'don't let me die look', as young as early 30s. All the grossly overweight person I know 'laught it off like it will never happen to them'. Human behavior is mysteriously facinating.

It might be too late already, but it's up to you to motivate yourself to change your health habits. Try to scrubb as many years as you can. I'm sure their are people that need you, they should be your inspiration. 

Glad you survived it. :salute
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------