Author Topic: RPM and MP  (Read 981 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
Re: RPM and MP
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 09:41:34 PM »
We were all there once, the fact your asking these questions means ur interested in staying, and lastly there is always someone who wants to ask a question and doesn't, there is a possibility this helped more then you will

For example...  Cremator, you have asked a couple of questions I myself would not think to ask.  And I have been flying Aces High for a couple of years.  So we all learn.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 12:08:21 AM »
Ive said it before and ill say it again, I absolutely love this game. There are so many different aspects of this game and almost every time I play I learn something new. I never played video games as a youth and this is really the only game ive ever played. The dynamics in itself are impressive.  I hope to someday help folks and give insight like yall do. My schedule is fairly open but subject to change with a phone call. I'd like to schedule time with a trainer but I would hate to have to quit during it or be a no show.

I spent some time with Iwlf in the ww 1 arena when I first started and it helped me tremendously..

Thanks again yall.

Good on ya for your curiosity and willingness to ask questions.  The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.  And yeah, there will alway be some goof that will give you grief for asking that.....whatever it is.  When that happens, blow them off and ask away.  :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 12:36:57 AM »
Quote from: Cremator link=topic=363016.msg4827493#msg4827493 date=1401665032
I spent some time with Iwlf in the ww 1 arena when I first started and it helped me tremendously..
[/quote

You may have noticed the WW1 aircraft have fixed pitch propellers. That's why there's a WW1 engine governor option in flight preferences. It prevents fixed pitch props from overspeeding and wrecking the engine. The option was named before HTC added the WW2 Storch, which also has a fixed pitch propeller and benefits from the governor. The downside to using the governor in AH is losing a bit of top speed.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 09:03:07 AM »
In fact reducing RPM too far while leaving the MP at full would cause detonation and possible engine failure.

But it will  not in Aces High  :D

In the *game* the best way to decrease fuel consumption while maintaining as much performance as possible is to simply pull down RPMs. For instance, if you pull the RPMs on an La7 down to 2000 after climbing to 8000 feet, it will show about a half hour of gas remaining and still cruise at ~340.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 09:23:59 AM »
You would never be able to run aircraft engines in real life as you do in AH.  The AH aircraft simulation falls apart on that aspect of the aircraft model.  If you ran a real life aircraft engine flat out 100% of the time , it would overheat.  It would also become subject to detonation and that would  lead to a loss of horsepower and failure.  Unsure exactly why AH even bothered to model it in, other then to say, all the competing WWII aircraft combat simulators of the time had controllable RPM and MP . 

Shock cooling pops into my mind about every other dive.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 09:38:46 AM »
Shock cooling pops into my mind about every other dive.

Don't most people dive full throttle? Heh

I suppose one could model cowl flaps to close when making power-off dives. Oh won't fooling with those be fun :devil
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."