Author Topic: Torrent Software  (Read 1221 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Torrent Software
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2014, 03:16:02 PM »

There are games which use a torrent mechanism to handle all their patches and updates.  If you are not careful, your computer becomes part of their distribution system.

*cough* WOT *cough*
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2014, 07:10:09 PM »
The other downside to using TOR is the NSA has targeted people using it, and labeling them as "extremists".  Just saying.

The best way to get attention, from those you do not want attention from, is to make sure you do everything you can to piss them off.

as numerous have learned on this board
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2014, 12:20:35 AM »
*cough* WOT *cough*

good thing they give you the option to not use it.  I never use it

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2014, 01:27:44 AM »
good thing they give you the option to not use it.  I never use it

semp

I wouldn't even notice the torrent option unless it crashes when trying to run WOT on linux. I'm sure most players haven't checked what's behind the options in the loader.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2014, 10:57:21 AM »
The other downside to using TOR is the NSA has targeted people using it, and labeling them as "extremists".  Just saying.

How so? I have read a few instances where several agencies -  not just the 3 letter Intelligence ones - are doing "questionable" things to investigate U.S. citizens and non citizens alike but I have not read/heard anything about what you reference.  Not a loaded question -  I am very curious.  After all, I used to work for the NSA.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2014, 11:55:15 AM »
How so? I have read a few instances where several agencies -  not just the 3 letter Intelligence ones - are doing "questionable" things to investigate U.S. citizens and non citizens alike but I have not read/heard anything about what you reference.  Not a loaded question -  I am very curious.  After all, I used to work for the NSA.

For example this is a recent article/documentation http://daserste.ndr.de/panorama/aktuell/NSA-targets-the-privacy-conscious,nsa230.html

This topic is one of the very rare cases where I wished there was no #14 here.
But then, it's probably better there is  ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2014, 12:00:57 PM »
For example this is a recent article/documentation http://daserste.ndr.de/panorama/aktuell/NSA-targets-the-privacy-conscious,nsa230.html

This topic is one of the very rare cases where I wished there was no #14 here.
But then, it's probably better there is  ;)

Rule# 14 keeps me from posting all the time.  The issue is there are too many that can't keep their emotions in check and have a great discussion.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2014, 05:42:40 PM »
After all, I used to work for the NSA.
Enough reason to connect to the forum w/ TOR.   :D
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2014, 10:58:15 AM »
Enough reason to connect to the forum w/ TOR.   :D

With a face like that no wonder!

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2014, 04:48:44 PM »
Only used it to dl one file and now am done with it. So far so good. I don't venture into deep water without good reason or a good inflatable.  :D

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.