Author Topic: Minefields surrounding spawn points = new object for terrain developers  (Read 2061 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
If HTC increased the spawn area....which they can already do, say to a 5 mile circle. You couldn't cover a spawn point as gvs could spawn up to 5 miles away from your hiding spot.

So, seeing they can already do this just by changing a setting..... and don't , I think spawn camping is NOT something they are looking to do away with.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Yes, or maybe they feel that boosting random spawn area would hurt the game in some way.  I recall having spawns that randomly placed you on a steep cliff, or in other awkward positions.  IN any case, I try and think of things that are close to what are already in place and then think outside of the box. 

It would be nice if HTC had a tool that handled spawn camping, somewhat like the auto ack guns provide risk for Vulching airfields.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
If HTC increased the spawn area....which they can already do, say to a 5 mile circle. You couldn't cover a spawn point as gvs could spawn up to 5 miles away from your hiding spot.

On most spawns, you already can't cover the whole spawn with a single GV. It's only a few, prominent spawns where you can do that.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Yes, or maybe they feel that boosting random spawn area would hurt the game in some way.  I recall having spawns that randomly placed you on a steep cliff, or in other awkward positions.  IN any case, I try and think of things that are close to what are already in place and then think outside of the box. 

It would be nice if HTC had a tool that handled spawn camping, somewhat like the auto ack guns provide risk for Vulching airfields.

Guns really don't hinder vulching all that much. The point is vulching and spawn camping has been a part of the game forever. I'm thinking the designer wants it that way seeing as there are already mechanisms in place that could curb them.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Guns really don't hinder vulching all that much. The point is vulching and spawn camping has been a part of the game forever. I'm thinking the designer wants it that way seeing as there are already mechanisms in place that could curb them.

Really?  Then how do spawns get camped?  It is simple.  Have 2 or 3 tanks that have advanced to the enemy spawn, observing where they spawn in, and drive to the "perfect" location and collect 40 or more easy  :ahand kills.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Really?  Then how do spawns get camped?  It is simple.  Have 2 or 3 tanks that have advanced to the enemy spawn, observing where they spawn in, and drive to the "perfect" location and collect 40 or more easy  :ahand kills.

exactly, and as designed!

Vulching is how a nubie gets his first A2A ....sorta..... kills

Spawn camping is how a nubie gets his first tank kills

The problem is too many don't grow out of that "easy kill" mode. Forcing them out of it isn't how you KEEP subscribers.

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
exactly, and as designed!

Vulching is how a nubie gets his first A2A ....sorta..... kills

Spawn camping is how a nubie gets his first tank kills

The problem is too many don't grow out of that "easy kill" mode. Forcing them out of it isn't how you KEEP subscribers.

:rolleyes:

Spawn camping was not designed into ANY game. It's a negative consequence of hardware and software limitations and vultching is not spawn camping unless they are hovering over the spawn. Even then it's not extremely far from reality.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
I am not buying that new guys are the ones spawn camping, or that is the easiest way to get your first kill.

Yes, it is the easiest way to get multiple kills, and there is a large difference between the two.

On another note, I hadn't logged on for more than 10 minutes today when, a player landed 20 GV kills.  It would be very nice to KNOW that they were hard earned from exhibiting good gunnery and situation awareness, rather than having any suspicion that the player was simply ringing up easy  :ahand spawn camp kills.  (In deed, I would want to believe it was a show of skill). 

I wonder who is more likely to keep their subscription, the guy landing 20 kills or those 20 killed (account for same player spawning multiple times)?  If that type of play is "all" they subscribe for, maybe the game would grow with their departures..... (I am just saying).

This game has always evolved.  I don't recall the original game having tanks.  I remember when the M16 and Ostwind were added.  :eek:

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
vultching is not spawn camping

yes it is. its a cheap easy kill. and if you have the field deacked, zero risk. at least in a gv camp the guy has a chance of swinging a turret around.

I think fugitive is right however, htc could do away with both, but they apparently don't see either as a negative.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
yes it is. its a cheap easy kill. and if you have the field deacked, zero risk. at least in a gv camp the guy has a chance of swinging a turret around.

I think fugitive is right however, htc could do away with both, but they apparently don't see either as a negative.

In spawn camps, the spawner rarely has a chance to locate and kill  the camper.  I have had more kills on vulchers over shooting and landing passing shots than the former. How could HTC do away with either as long as you can drive or fly to the spawn area? (By the way, that is the premise for why I would like minefields = to add some distance and gunnery skills to the adventure).

I also sometimes try and figure on what HTC intends.  Since they surely have a long list of priorities to consider, I do try and not put words in their mouth. 

Anyhow, just enjoying the new map (Fester is up) for now.  New content and new strategies seems to be very pleasing to the masses.  So, I do believe that pleasing customers is very high on HTC's list, and sometimes it just takes some ingenuity, critical thinking and a lot of time, patience and hard work to get there. 

Maybe they see both negative and positive aspects of spawn camping and are satisfied with were they have it balanced, I can agree.  But that doesn't mean that if they are presented with new ideas, that fit the main theme of WW2 equipment performance and accuracy, they would not make adjustments.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
I always wondered why the spawn didn't describe a half circle of random points rather than an arrow with a random area zone. That defined an area like having a road which half ringed the target field and tanks would randomly appear on or near the road(1000yds either side) anywhere on the half circle. It would take a large investment in players to watch the whole half circle or camp it. The attackers would already be dispersed with a greater chance of surviving and creating combat.

To enhance this the map maker could account for terrain by being able to change the path of the half circle to not spawn you on the side of a cliff. But then you would need a bridge if you ringed the field with a river.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline muzik

• Silver Member

The only difference between vultching in AH and vultching in ww2 is that, attackers in ww2 rarely could, or would, circle an airbase with impunity waiting for someone to take off. It was too dangerous.

Yea, it is a cheap easy kill, but it is a realistic scenario. We can look out the tower windows or look at radar to see if the coast is clear before we take off.

Spawn camping is not the same because we can't see the spawn before we get there and there is no correlation to real combat in spawn battles.

In AH, vultching is only gamey because after field guns are down, there is little risk to circling the field. Other than that, real life and AH are close enough by any standards... if someone is dumb enough to take off from a base under attack the scenario plays out the same in real life or in AH. That can't be said about vehicle spawns.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod