Author Topic: Syncro'd Breda ROF too low in game?  (Read 1435 times)

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
Syncro'd Breda ROF too low in game?
« on: August 14, 2014, 08:56:01 PM »
Can anybody verify any truth in this quote I pulled from the worldwide web ?
a very recent discovery made by Italian experts (engineers and historians) , with original Regia Aeronautica documents and even studying an original Synchronization unit, found out that the synchronized rate of fire of the Breda Safat 12,7mm guns was very high... In fact , depending on the engine RPMs, the ROF varied from 550 to 700 rpm in the DB601 engined Italian fighters (Macchi C.202 and Reggiane Re.2001) and from about 500 to 700 in the radial engine fighters as the C.200, Fiat G.50 and Cr.42 fighters...
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Syncro'd Breda ROF too low in game?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 09:41:14 PM »
Given AH only docks 10%, probably not.  Browning based guns aren't as penalized as they ought to be though.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Xavier

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 10:18:25 AM »
Given AH only docks 10%, probably not.  Browning based guns aren't as penalized as they ought to be though.

What do you mean by that?
Started from the bottom...still at the bottom.

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 01:24:08 PM »

I'm sure Karnak means that .50 didn't like getting synchronized...the rate of fire dropped far more than the ~10% which is the amount all synchronized guns' rate of fire is reduced.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 01:53:52 PM »
Oops.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 01:56:00 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 01:55:08 PM »
The loss in RoF for the Brownings was 40-50% when synchronized.

I'm sure Karnak means that .50 didn't like getting synchronized...the rate of fire dropped far more than the ~10% which is the amount all synchronized guns' rate of fire is reduced.
The Japanese Ho-103 12.7mm and Ho-5 20mm also had that problem as they are derived from the Browning .50.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 07:52:48 PM »
Then what does that have the wing root synchronized MG151/20 down to in Fw190?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline alpini13

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 11:50:17 AM »
i thought the wing root 151/20 were outside the propeller arc and are not synch'ed

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 12:05:50 PM »
i thought the wing root 151/20 were outside the propeller arc and are not synch'ed

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 04:59:43 PM »
FW armorer's general manual describes having to sync the wing root cannon from the same shot pattern disk set on the prop hub used for the cowl MG. The manual gives the data to fill in the formula for the MG151/20. But, no formula. Guess that is in a manual I've never been able to find. The German version of the AAF's gunnery harmonization manual.

MG151/20e

Muzzle Velocity = 705m\sec
Round advance time = 0.0005 sec.
Airscrew reduction gearing = 1.84:1
Weapon radius = 980mm
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 12:09:12 AM »
Nobody has anymore info to corroberate or contradict this? I'm kind of surprised at you guys.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 01:17:54 AM »
Nobody has anymore info to corroberate or contradict this? I'm kind of surprised at you guys.
Honestly, I didn't look further.  Aces High docks 10% of the RoF for all synced guns, which lets the Brownings derived guns off easy as they saw 40-50% reductions in rates of fire.  I'd need to look up the Breda's RoF at home, where I am not as I post this, to see more.  Per wikipedia the Breda 12.7mm had a uninterrupted RoF of 700rpm.  If this is accurate and matches AH then AH would have the interrupted rate at 630rpm, faster than wikipedia's claimed 575rpm.  I am only using wikipedia for this because my books are not at hand.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 01:24:49 AM »
The rof fire in game is 630. I want to know if the quote I posted is truth. The fact that wikipedia sates the rof for the 12.7mm unsyncronized is 700rpm makes me skeptical of the claim of 700rpm syncronized.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 01:27:43 AM by FLOOB »

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 04:15:20 PM »
Is there a master list of AH MG\cannon sync rates?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Grendel

• Silver Member
      • http://www.compart.fi/icebreakers
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 04:01:21 PM »
The rof fire in game is 630. I want to know if the quote I posted is truth. The fact that wikipedia sates the rof for the 12.7mm unsyncronized is 700rpm makes me skeptical of the claim of 700rpm syncronized.

The Finnish Fiat G.50 pilots and mechanics have commented, that depending on the RPM, the rate of fire could be extremerely low as well. So low that you could even hear the invidual shots. And even at its best the rate of fire was not as good as with other types of 12,7mm guns.