Author Topic: Aiming Flak 88s  (Read 2035 times)

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
Re: Aiming Flak 88s
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 10:12:27 AM »
It took some time, but I developed clear plastic overlays for my screen for the 88's, 37's, wirb, and ostwind.  Each one is basically a sight with distance tick marks.  The ostwind/wirb and 37mm overlays have lead tick marks too, which while not 100% accurate, they got me in the neighborhood quicker.  And it was more of a training thing.  I don't use those much anymore.  The one I continue to use the most is the 88 flak overlay.  It looks like a crazy family of graphs and lines, but I understand it.  It shows distance and vertical elevation angle tick marks and lines.  Again it's not 100% accurate and is more of a training aid, but I can nail approaching bombers pretty far out, 8k-ish.  I also have overlays for the M4 rockets (I never use anymore), and for the 88 firing AP at distant targets out to 7-8k (like a nearby gv field). 

Some info on leading came from the internet (mils and sight ring info mostly), but a lot of it was from time spent in offline practice.  I'll be honest I'm probably going to keep the actual overlays to myself, but I will be more than willing to explain how I got to the point of having usable overlays.  It didn't take me long.  Maybe an hour to a couple hours for each overlay.
:salute can they be made to fit a 55in screen?

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 03:25:32 PM »
Hi.

I'd like to get some suggestions as to how you can effectively aim the Flak 88s on fields. I've spent some time trying to figure out how to narrow down your shots to a certain area, but it just honestly seems impossible.

Didn't flak 88s have any sort of iron sight? I find it really hard to hit anything at just 4k+ with only a tracer.

So, any secrets to getting the flak 88 to work effectively?

Thanks.

Before I do any kind of lengthy reply, are you talking about shooting at ground targets or aircraft?

I am fairly proficient with the 88, as I like learning and playing with all the weapons in the game.  Probably the BEST way to go about this is to schedule a tutorial session in the TA, as then I can go over some basics, share some tips, and walk you through some "hands on" shooting practice as well.  I'd even volunteer to fly/drive a target aircraft/vehicle around for you to shoot at to get a feel for ranging and lead requirements.

Like all gunnery, the key is to learn the basics first (weapon operation, ballistics, range effects, lead/deflection, etc.), then establish a practice method to work on it, and then practice, practice, practice.  I can help you with the first two steps to get you going in the right direction, if you'd like.

Anyone interested in getting a tutorial on gunning (this goes for the 88's, 5" or 8" ship guns or shore battery) just shoot me a PM and we'll see if we can set up a time.

<S>
Ryno
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 03:27:21 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 03:54:39 PM »
Ryno is very good in it as well.

He has taken me out numerous times

Thanks for noticing, gents.  When the 88 was introduced, I found it quite challenging to use, so I've practiced with it a bit.  It's not an easy weapon to master, but very effective once you get the hang of it.

On Tuesday night I hopped into an 88 to "swat some vulchers" and got 3 kills in my first 3 rounds fired.  You know you're getting good at it when others on range say "wow, who is in the 88?!"

you'r all cheaters

I've probably gotten about as many "aimbot cheater" accusations (read: compliments) while in the 88 as I have in an aircraft or vehicle.  :)

Like I mentioned above, I'm always willing to share my methods with others.  PM if interested.

<S>
Ryno 
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 09:46:13 PM »
   i have never seen anybody as good in the 88 as ryno!!!!! i have watched him pick off a set of bombers still 5 k away. truly amazing . RYNO i have been waiting for the tutorial for 6 months now
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 03:23:47 PM »
   i have never seen anybody as good in the 88 as ryno!!!!! i have watched him pick off a set of bombers still 5 k away. truly amazing . RYNO i have been waiting for the tutorial for 6 months now
But his gun is an easy kill  :bolt:
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 03:42:12 PM »
But his gun is an easy kill  :bolt:

Hehe. Agreed. De-acking is easy.  The hard thing is to make the de-ackers pay with a few trips to the tower.

Which is where developing skill with the field guns comes in handy...

(And now we're back on topic.)  :P

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2015, 05:37:52 PM »
Me to Ryno, if the opportunity comes up I'll attend.  :D
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76