Author Topic: The Widowmaker flies again after 33 years...  (Read 2700 times)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Re: The Widowmaker flies again after 33 years...
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2016, 10:03:38 AM »
Great vids in this thread - the Italian model Gscholz posted, a friend of mine that runs the website "The Aviationist" is x Italian air force and has written a great book about Italian F104s, and has a lot of great articles on his site too.  Book here - https://theaviationist.com/2010/03/10/italian-starfighters-eng/

A favorite of mine as well, the CF104 was a fighter the RCAF flew here for a long time for better and worse.  Norway, Denmark, and Turkey all flew Canadair 104s in their fleets as well.  The first model I built which I did a decent job on was a Tiger Meet CF104, and it's still my favorite.

It had the rep of the "widowmaker" in the Canadian media too - 110 major class accidents in the 25 years the RCAF flew it, but it did do the job during the cold war, with a lot of Canadian squadrons forward deployed in Germany/etc.  Considering that the predecessor F86 in only 12 years of flying had over 250 major class accidents for the loss of 3x more pilots than the F104, the title IMO while sort of fair considering 1/2 the airplanes built were lost, wasn't completely accurate considering past fighter losses, and that 1/3 of the pilots killed in the F104 when compared to the 100+ in the F86.

Fantastic plane to see at airshows, for sure.   The CF5 is the only other fighter Canada has built and flown in great numbers during the cold war.  It was a great low level attack performer, taken from Wiki, but I've read this quote many places before -

- and, it was a rocket on the deck, again, the air shows it would put on largely consisted of very, very high speed passes, which were always a good time.

Theaviationist is one of my favorite aviation related news sites as well. Usually quite balanced and objective journalism.

No. 637 is a CF-104D two-seater, built in your great country. We had two squadrons operating Starfighters; 331 Sqd. flew the F-104G while 334 Sqd. flew the CF-104. 334 Sqd. lost four jets; two were controlled flight into terrain, one loss of control at low alt, and one engine failure. 331 Sqd. suffered far more with nine losses. Six of those were due to malfunctions or loss of control.

The F-104 was very unforgivable. It could not be landed safely without its blown flaps and boundary layer systems working. This meant that with any engine malfunction resulting in loss of thrust, any problems with the flaps, any problem with the boundary layer system, the only option for the pilot was ejecting. Add to that the fact that the 104 was prone to accelerated stalls due to its high wing-loading, and that if stalled at speed the nose would pitch up and the aircraft would pancake into the direction of travel and enter into an unrecoverable flat spin. Well... you end up with an aircraft that everything must work right and you must do everything right, otherwise your only option is to put your life into the hands of Mr. Martin and Mr. Baker. In US service the F-104 had almost twice the accident rate of the other century fighters.

I still love it though... It just looks right.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 10:08:04 AM by GScholz »
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2016, 10:22:31 AM »
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2016, 12:45:25 PM »
So far I've only been able to find a French TV version, dubbed in French of course. I'm not watching that one.

Mais, pourquoi pas?  :D

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2016, 12:53:55 PM »
Il serait tout simplement tort!  ;)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2016, 01:17:08 PM »
Il serait tout simplement tort!  ;)

Oui!  :aok

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2016, 06:47:31 PM »
I remember the Turks flying those things around. Rumor had it that two were flying in tandem and one turned right when he was supposed to turn left crashing them both and killing his wing man. In short order the offending pilot, who had bailed out, found himself in front of a firing squad. They dont like it when millions of dollars of aircraft are lost cause a pilot doesnt know right from left. I always believed the story.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2016, 10:57:52 AM »
As the F-15 was being developed there was a plan to beef up the 104, add some recessed spots for AIM-7Es and fill the F-15 role. Didn't happen of course, but neat concept.

boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2016, 12:28:29 PM »
Some more video of 637's flight:

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2016, 12:35:10 PM »
How was the F-104 vs. the Soviet competition?  It seems a lot better than a Mig-15 or Mig-17, but is a Mig-21 better?  Is the Mig-21 the plane that would be the F-104's competition?

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2016, 01:53:34 PM »
First flight:

F-104: 1956
MiG-21: 1956
Mirage III: 1956
F-4: 1958

These were the first generation of Mach 2 capable tactical fighters. Of these the Mirage stands out as the best fighter with the MiG-21 in second place. The F-4 stands out as the best fighter-bomber with its massive payload. The F-104 is easily the poorest of the lot. The Mirage stands out to me because it was as good or better than all the other planes in every category (except the F-4's payload). It had excellent acceleration/climb and Mach 2+ top speed. It was maneuverable (for its time). It had long range (longer than the F-4 in fact). It had a good radar and excellent weapons. The Israelis proved the Mirage III's effectiveness in combat vs many other aircraft including the MiG-21.

In addition to these the USAF operated a pure strategic interceptor, the F-106 which also first flew in 1956 and was Mach 2 capable. I'm not familiar enough with this plane to compare it to the others.

Just looking at it it is hard to believe the Mirage III is a 1950s design like the century fighters. The French really were ahead of the curve with this one.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2016, 02:21:57 PM »
Awesome video!  :aok