Author Topic: Version III First Impressions  (Read 530 times)

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
Version III First Impressions
« on: October 22, 2016, 06:13:05 PM »
Well, I got my Aces High disk here in Afghanistan (Thanks HTC!) and left it in the truck for three patrols (whoops, AHIII is now a grizzled veteran). My ASUS laptop is nothing close to a gaming computer, but has an Integrated HD graphics 4000 card (Better than.. nothing, really.) FR jumped around from 5-20 on average, not too shabby. Here are my first thoughts from running every graphics setting disabled, everything set to off, every view range set to minimum :

Mouse flying, what the heck? The new 'mouse' flying, I assume mimicking others such as World of Airplanes or whatever, is pretty crazy. I had to figure out how to go back to the original, which uses the mouse to mimic joystick inputs. Much better.
Updated, now the keys to revert to the old mouse control mode don't work. Possible bug?

The views are a little funky, after playing around I decided I liked the original FOV of 106 better. I'm glad I didn't have to reset all of my head positions though (only flew the P-51, so I don't know if they're all nice and tidy yet.)

Zooming in, I found it weird that when you zoom in it resets your head position to the default view. I'm used to being able to look at something or position myself looking 'over' the nose, and being able to zoom in from there.

Tracers Look great, although there's not much color to them. Were red tracers on the .50 cal an invention later on? Something I noticed only after some real life experience.
I do like their size and they way they fly, and the hit-sprites seem just visible enough without being overbearing, for lack of better term. I've noticed a bunch of threads about how it's harder to hit things, but even after several years off and 5 minutes of trying to get back into it without a joystick, I wasn't doing too bad. I think it can be chalked up to FOV issues and maybe some lack of practice since everything looks all new and crazy.

Clipboard can't be utilized while flying with a mouse, or at least I didn't figure it out in my 5 minutes of goof-around time. This is also weird to me, where I used to be able to hit shift or ctrl H to switch to my cursor while 'letting go' of my virtual joystick, I don't seem to be able to do that any more.
Another note, I think the clipboard model could be upgraded in the future. It seems unfinished as is. It's the small things, you know?  :D
Noticed that under the green 'auto takeoff' text, it mentions needing to hold H to control the plane if the clipboard is open. yet holding H is simply to pan view with the mouse. Is this an artifact from the previous versions of mouse control, or possibly a bug?

Overall, can't wait to buy or build myself a sweet monster rig for this and more.  :aok

Thought I'd share. Take care  :rock

(Note : this was Patch 1, I might update this thread if I can update my game.)  :devil
(Updated to patch 7)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 07:34:25 PM by EskimoJoe »
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: Version III First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 03:17:24 AM »
Keep safe :old:

AHIII is awesome

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 08:50:27 AM »
Personally. There is a ton of nuances and different things to like in this version.

BUT
I am REALLY not liking some of the terrain colors on most of the maps. Particularity the over use of the really light pastel green used on the grasses.
IMO those need to be darkened to about half way of where they are now to how dark the trees are and this really light green should only be where the airfields are to represent mowed/maintained terrain

Orr they should be lightened to be a blondish yellow to better represent un mowed fields.
the light green currently used is annoying to look at at best and makes it real hard to differentiate plane from terrain or any sense of depth while fighting anywhere near the deck.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline LocoMoto

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 02:33:21 PM »
+1

I have the same review  :cheers:

For new players mouse play is a mess. Need to work on more new player friendly approach in many aspects of AH3 if you want to see numbers grow!