Author Topic: Bug in P-51B throttle mapping?  (Read 279 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Bug in P-51B throttle mapping?
« on: May 26, 2018, 05:27:22 PM »
I've been flying the P-51B more often and had noticed some jumping in the Manifold Pressure needle as I accelerate down the runway on take-off.  I first thought my throttle pot needed cleaning, so I brought up Options/Controllers/Map Controllers, selected Z-Rotation (mapped to Analog Throttle 1) and checked the advanced box so I could watch the throttle input - result was smooth input throughout the range of throttle rotation.

So next I got in the P-51B and set it to Auto-Take off.  I brought up the clipboard and went to the Advanced box again so I could watch the throttle axis input.  As I smoothly and slowly advanced the throttle on take-off, I compared the throttle input to the manifold pressure gauge needle.  Both rose slowly and steadily as my throttle was advancing.  Until, at about 44", the needle suddenly dropped to 35".   I hadn't paused in advancing the throttle, but continued slowly increasing my input.  The needle continued to rise again slowly, commensurate with my throttle input until I reached about 44" again - then it really took off and advanced much more rapidly than before, even though I hadn't changed my rate of advance on the throttle.

I also tried this experiment on the P-51D but the throttle input and manifold pressure needle seemed properly linked through out the range - I've only noticed this in the P-51B.

Can any one else verify this, pls?    Thanks!

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: Bug in P-51B throttle mapping?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 12:19:21 AM »
Wasnt EXACTLY as you described...but noticed A MARKED jump up in MP from 44 to full. It was smooth and regular to about 35 slowed a bit to 44 then POOF full manifold. Backing off was same way...real fast down to 44...a bit of a crawl to 35...then steady to 10.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 12:23:20 AM »
Similar results here.   I thought it was my stick.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 07:32:53 AM »
Thanks for testing this guys.