Author Topic: Testing  (Read 969 times)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: Testing
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 01:10:48 AM »
As it stands now..sure. Most of the guys I see running sups, would PREFER to be in a Plane. So MAYBE something like I wrote would at least get THOSE FOLK back in a plane? If your gonna change the Hardness..just change the Resup time for objects. If resup is really the problem...this would go ALONG way into nullifying the need for RESUP FIRST. Most resup because its faster..and best defense as it stands now. So mitigate the choosing of this method. Shoot if taking down towns had similar properties as Strats  as more is killed the longer the down times/neuters the effectiveness of resupping over DEFENDING= more REDS. Not every one would be ok with this..but those have squeakED about anything and everything so let them gripe
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 07:45:25 AM »
You been reading the stories of strats being resupped before the guys hitting them can land? Kind of like pissing in the wind scotty.

So basically, they spend and hour plus to hit a strat, and cant enjoy the fruits of their labor.

If other players coordinate with the strat runner to kill the strat-linked objects on bases, the effect can last for a very long time.

I'm guessing that few players want to spend their time resupplying strat or bases.  But when the choice is to babysit a de-acked base for 2 hours, or run supplies to it for 40 minutes, resupply can seem the lesser of two evils.

My opinion is that the strat system creates some of the most tedious aspects of the game -- resupply, long high altitude bomber missions, CAP for strats, and watching for sneaks.

Maybe the new trains and convoys will change the resupply dynamic.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 03:09:01 PM »
I like having strats and towns. I agree with Lazer though that resupping in M3s is not good for the game. C47s only would be a better option. Infact it should probably cost you perks to be able to resupp a base or strat.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2018, 03:13:22 PM »
I like having strats and towns. I agree with Lazer though that resupping in M3s is not good for the game. C47s only would be a better option. Infact it should probably cost you perks to be able to resupp a base or strat.

While I agree also that m3's should be out and c47 as the only option.

I would throw out also strats and towns and leave only airfields...... this is not ww2ol, we don't need the supply, AH is closer to arcade than a ww2 simulation, and that's a good thing, so why not go all the way?

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2018, 03:19:01 PM »
If I was a CYNIC...Sure you want only C47s...easy kills.  :uhoh I think I know you better than that, just playing the devil's advocate...Some one would say this and believe that was your motivation :confused: It would however REINVORCE this us/them cross fighting..HT only cares about this, or hates Gvs or whatever. It ALWAYS shows up. I dont think the change will ever happen WITHOUT a solution that doesnt favor one side or the other...WHICH IS THE RUB. Noone likes change. there HAS TOO be some settings that could be tweaked, Hardness of Buildings,Guns, Downtimes ect that could help out and not be too complicated or require new COMPUTING CODE, or new terrains :uhoh
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2018, 03:20:58 PM »
If I was a CYNIC...Sure you want only C47s...easy kills.

Hehe, think about the noobs,,,, they would have something to shoot at. win-win for everyone.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2018, 03:21:26 PM »

I would throw out also strats and towns and leave only airfields...... this is not ww2ol, we don't need the supply, AH is closer to arcade than a ww2 simulation, and that's a good thing, so why not go all the way?
I agree with that...the Oceana map has Maprooms on Base /NO TOWN. I would love the Guns be hardened up a bit..just enough to PROLONG the fight. I have YET to try a DEFENSE OR TAKE of one of these fields, that did NOT end up being a hell of a fight. Dont want the arcade though..just tweak what we have would sufice IMO
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 03:23:30 PM by 1stpar3 »

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2018, 04:02:02 PM »
As it stands now..sure. Most of the guys I see running sups, would PREFER to be in a Plane.

Probably, there's some truth in that. However, hardening stuff doesn't help. I don't know what the average player is using to kill town buildings today, but it works nicely with 1klbs or 2klbs bombs (for the big splash radius). The heavy damage doesn't matter today, but it shows that hardening to anything below 2klbs is pretty much meaningless. Hardening beyond that would be somewhat ridiculous as Jabos couldn't even take down single buildings, and tanks would spend half their ammo on one building.

The problem with defending over resupplying is that these days its hard to catch an M3 with troops from slipping through. While GVs (especially unarmored ones) are easy to take down, it requires at least a certain degree of air superiority. During a capture attempt it is even at best, which allows both sides to slip through (with troops and supplies respectively). If the attacking side has air superiority (pretty common during a capture attempt), catching M3s from the air is pretty tough, but there's still a good chance to get through with supplies, as they can be dropped from half a mile out.

With a time from spawn to town of about 5 minutes or so - its not even possible to get there from another field, and absolutely impossible to get rid of the attackers (in the air) in time to create the situation needed to kill M3s.

(the only alternative is waiting in tower, to start defense early. and then only to take off to "defend" against light fighters that don't even intend to capture anything.)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2018, 04:23:24 PM »
Probably, there's some truth in that. However, hardening stuff doesn't help. I don't know what the average player is using to kill town buildings today, but it works nicely with 1klbs or 2klbs bombs (for the big splash radius). The heavy damage doesn't matter today, but it shows that hardening to anything below 2klbs is pretty much meaningless. Hardening beyond that would be somewhat ridiculous as Jabos couldn't even take down single buildings, and tanks would spend half their ammo on one building.

The problem with defending over resupplying is that these days its hard to catch an M3 with troops from slipping through. While GVs (especially unarmored ones) are easy to take down, it requires at least a certain degree of air superiority. During a capture attempt it is even at best, which allows both sides to slip through (with troops and supplies respectively). If the attacking side has air superiority (pretty common during a capture attempt), catching M3s from the air is pretty tough, but there's still a good chance to get through with supplies, as they can be dropped from half a mile out.

With a time from spawn to town of about 5 minutes or so - its not even possible to get there from another field, and absolutely impossible to get rid of the attackers (in the air) in time to create the situation needed to kill M3s.

(the only alternative is waiting in tower, to start defense early. and then only to take off to "defend" against light fighters that don't even intend to capture anything.)
Right, I can see your point with hardness es. Need to find something if for just PROLONGING the chance for a defense to form. True the sneakers would hate this, but IF the COMBAT is what they want it can only help. Those players will just change tactics and find a way to continue sneaking. I dont believe it would kill any ONE aspect of game play..but COULD improve all styles :uhoh

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2018, 04:38:28 PM »
Well if C47s become the only option we definitely need an upgrade and some protection.
Ground Pounders ...

Offline duie

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2018, 04:48:16 PM »
Well if C47s become the only option we definitely need an upgrade and some protection.
(Image removed from quote.)
  you would need a nam  plane set for such c47

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2018, 04:56:26 PM »
On the defense side, there's another alternative to resupply. Usually when resupply is not an option. Its launching something, and bailing, then walking to the map room to kill a single troop. Its a much more viable defense strategy (at least for a certain time) than trying to defend by flying.

Its also pretty ugly from the attackers point of view. Having achieved superiority over the target area, and then... no capture.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2018, 11:52:36 PM »

Nahh!

It makes for nice scenery!

Strats give the bombers something to do

It gives tanks something to do.

Makes the game more war like

I don't think it's really arcady at all.

Every single plane flies differently

You have to fly or tank extremely strategically in the MA. It's all about advantages.

If you had to taxi and press 89 buttens to take off it would just make it tiring. I'd rather fly the real thing if I have to go thru that much trouble.

FSOs and special events are about as real of a war simulation experiencee as you can get.

This is still an extremely hard game without pressing 89 buttons to turn on the engine.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 12:01:25 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2018, 12:15:46 AM »
Used to be you had to make 4 legitimate  passes on town in order to wf/deack it in 1 set of lancs.  Now it only takes 3.... Who needs a fighter to deack it?
it takes 1 pass from lanc's or one pass from B24's. and if you take lancs you can de ack in 2 passes WF with the 3rd pass and still bomb the VH. Or for B24's you can WF bomb VH and then deack in the second pass with the .50's if your good enough, and low enough and slow enough. but that's not really the point of this thread ill go to bed now.

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2018, 12:27:00 AM »
I wish I really didn't care about the map and base takes/ defense.. then all iI would care about is the fighting and not the strategy part.. then m3 or goons or wouldn't even matter you could take away all manned guns or resupplying anything.. and if I couldn't find a fight iI would just log and find something else to do like others
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait