Author Topic: Open Source What You Can  (Read 2830 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
Re: Open Source What You Can
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 06:18:26 PM »
You seem confused about open source content, all of a sudden. I've been a part of substituting (with skins, even) since AW. That's not open source content addition.

Do the scenario guys always have every aircraft they would want?  Or do they make do with what they have a substitute when necessary.

Build yourself a custom terrain with SCW skins and create a set of Staged Missions and make your SCW.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 08:24:03 PM »
Think of how many people are interested in building content for AH (not many). Even less would be interested in modifying code.

HiTech

Would it hurt you to do so?

If you had people improving your tools its a win-win situation.

Does it really matter if no-one added code to your tools? You would of at least reached out and tried?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2019, 08:33:36 PM »
Do the scenario guys always have every aircraft they would want?  Or do they make do with what they have a substitute when necessary.

Build yourself a custom terrain with SCW skins and create a set of Staged Missions and make your SCW.

" Topic: Open Source What You Can"

Which apparently means being a terrain or skin guy. Which we already have. Guess someone should start a wish topic for virtual reality compatibility. ;)

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 02:48:00 AM »
Think of how many people are interested in building content for AH (not many). Even less would be interested in modifying code.

HiTech

Now for the first part I do think you do underestimate how many ppl would. For the second part you might be correct, not everyone is a programmer.

I for one have offered building interfaces and plane meshes for the game. Others have 2, but the offers where turned down or where not replyd to. And than I can already think of a handful of people who actually already do this. CM's provide massive amounts of content for the game. And let's not forget about the skinner's and map makers.
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 04:18:44 AM »

HiTech

It depends on how many SW developers play AH and how they are involved in FOSS...

For example: makeahmap program that most of SEA/AvA maps are now built with. What would be with community content if this program wasn't available?

I can tell for myself that as long as I use some tool a lot I usually find some bugs and fix them. Also I'm not typical sw developer.

So don't underestimate the power of the FOSS community, especially that you see real examples of this.

Edit

I think the more correct question is how big is the effort of open-sourcing some of the code while keeping closed source core + publishing all building testing procedures of partially closed/open source.

And what is the expected contribution you can receive for this effort. You can probably gain much more if you publish the code under non-open source license - for example stuff like CC BY-NC-ND that protect your rights but gives the community an ability to improve the code.

Since:

(a) you still have your copy-rights protected
(b) it would be much simpler as you don't need to change the build/test infrastructure.
(c) the community can actually help
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 04:27:07 AM by artik »
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel