Author Topic: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 AH Pauses and Stutters  (Read 4465 times)

Offline Mol

• Zinc Member
Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 AH Pauses and Stutters
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2019, 04:17:42 PM »
This is related to a driver issue running under Directx 11 API at the OS kernel level and I still get these to date running on the current box in sig below using the latest graphics drivers.

Hi Pudgie

Thanks for the detailed response, but I have always run the game with the DX9 version, so for me at least I don't think it is related to DX11.

I'm pretty sure the pauses and stalls I'm seeing are related to the variance in delay, because the spikes and pauses correlate almost 100%.

That can't be a coincidence, and I'm guessing may be related to the way the game code responds to players with poor connections.

Mol
Man of Leisure (MoL)
InGame as BigMoL

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2019, 04:22:00 PM »
Hi Pudgie

Thanks for the detailed response, but I have always run the game with the DX9 version, so for me at least I don't think it is related to DX11.

I'm pretty sure the pauses and stalls I'm seeing are related to the variance in delay, because the spikes and pauses correlate almost 100%.

That can't be a coincidence, and I'm guessing may be related to the way the game code responds to players with poor connections.

Mol

You do know that the game defaults to DX11. You have to either change where the icon is pointed or make a new icon to start in DX9

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2019, 01:16:05 AM »

Mol

There was some discussion about that when the issue started. If memory serves me right Skuzzy told that the spikes in variance is another symptom rather than the cause.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Mol

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2019, 12:01:58 PM »
You do know that the game defaults to DX11. You have to either change where the icon is pointed or make a new icon to start in DX9

Hi Fugitive

The icon points to the "aceshigh9.exe" and not the "aceshigh11.exe" so I assume that's it.

Thanks for helping.

Mol
Man of Leisure (MoL)
InGame as BigMoL

Offline Mol

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2019, 12:11:01 PM »
There was some discussion about that when the issue started. If memory serves me right Skuzzy told that the spikes in variance is another symptom rather than the cause.

Hi Bizman

Must admit I never thought of that, and probably wouldn't have.

I would gladly concede to Skuzzy's superior knowledge but at the moment all kind of alarm bells and bullschit alerts are being triggered by that idea cause I've never heard of graphics issues impacting on network functions before.

Can that even happen?

Anyone seen graphics impact on networking before?

Mol
Man of Leisure (MoL)
InGame as BigMoL

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2019, 12:14:48 PM »
Hi Bizman

Must admit I never thought of that, and probably wouldn't have.

I would gladly concede to Skuzzy's superior knowledge but at the moment all kind of alarm bells and bullschit alerts are being triggered by that idea cause I've never heard of graphics issues impacting on network functions before.

Can that even happen?

Anyone seen graphics impact on networking before?

Mol

I would expect the logic to be whatever's causing the hitch is affecting other parts of the system as well as graphics specifically.  Just as an example, if it were halting the CPU, not saying it does just using it as an example, everything the system is doing would hitch.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Mol

• Zinc Member
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2019, 03:25:46 PM »

Ok, I spoke to the IT guy in work and it seems I'm not just wrong, I'm also stupid.

Well, whichever way the symptoms work, its pretty frustrating and I wish it would get fixed soon cause it spoils my sense of emersion in the game, big time.

Mol

Man of Leisure (MoL)
InGame as BigMoL

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2019, 09:06:08 AM »
Hey MOL,

Noticed that you are using Windows 10 while looking at your DXDIAG report....

Have you went through your Windows 10 OS and tweaked the settings/services that Skuzzy has previously posted in the stickied threads at the top of the Tech support forum? If not, I highly recommend that you do this

Hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2019, 06:53:30 AM »
Hiya TC! Please provide a link to the specific thread you're referring to. Skuzzy's got a bunch of Win 10 posts in Tech forum. Thanks  :aok

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2019, 05:54:51 PM »
Hiya TC! Please provide a link to the specific thread you're referring to. Skuzzy's got a bunch of Win 10 posts in Tech forum. Thanks  :aok

Hey Max, I went to copy and paste the link to the specific thread and noticed that Skuzzy had went back and edited it to not include or be specific towards Windows 10....

iirc, he did that because of the ways Windows 10 updates itself (and keeps resetting things back to default etc), that it becomes more difficult to make changes to Windows 10 and they permanently stay/stick....

The thread I was referring to is the first top stickied thread in the Tech support forum....you will notice that it has an edited in acknowledgement regarding Windows 10 OS at the beginning of the post

Outside of that, the only other place to look up on how to setup/tweak Windows 10 OS, that I feel comfortable telling others to check out is www.blackviper.com .....but his website has gone offline a few times over the past few years....

Hope this helps

Max, does any of your hotas setup or other components you are using in your USB powered hub require or need USB 3.0 ? If not, have you tried using it in a regular 2.0 USB port?

You saying that it doesn't respond if not used for say 20 minutes, sounds like your power settings for USB to be always on has defaulted back to go into power interrupt mode..... Windows 10 updates will cause that sometimes

(saw your other thread, figure I would respond to both this one as well as that one here in this one reply)

Hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Mol

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2019, 02:17:59 PM »
Hope this helps
TC

Thanks, I'll work my way through it all in the hope something will resolve it.

Mol
Man of Leisure (MoL)
InGame as BigMoL

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2019, 10:34:32 PM »
IF YOU ARE NOT USING VR GEAR: EXAM: OCLULAS RIFT OR VIVE OR SOME OTHER VR GEAR USE DX9. THAT SHOULD FIX YOUR PROBLEM-I RUN  A GTX670 ON WINDOWS 7 AND NO PROBLEMS WITH MOST CANDY TURNED DOWN.
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2019, 10:05:24 AM »
IF YOU ARE NOT USING VR GEAR: EXAM: OCLULAS RIFT OR VIVE OR SOME OTHER VR GEAR USE DX9. THAT SHOULD FIX YOUR PROBLEM-I RUN  A GTX670 ON WINDOWS 7 AND NO PROBLEMS WITH MOST CANDY TURNED DOWN.

I have always run the game with the DX9 version

Mol

Hi Fugitive

The icon points to the "aceshigh9.exe" and not the "aceshigh11.exe" so I assume that's it.

Thanks for helping.

Mol

BigMOL had already posted that he only uses the aceshigh9.exe version of the game which uses DX9

That was my reasoning for suggesting that he tweak and clean up his Windows 10 OS, to make sure that he doesn't have any processes and services starting up and running in the background

Things such as "data telemetry processes" , "Windows Updates", "Antivirus software", etc.....

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2019, 02:14:33 PM »
Hey Mol - I had a Asus 970GTX with the stuttering.  Question - what sound card do you have or are you using the on-board sound?

I too am running a i7 with 16Gb ram, Win10, and had terrible stuttering...however, I discovered it was 100% caused by my sound card.

I had an older Sound Blaster and it was 99.9999% causing my pauses and stuttering. I put in a brand new SoundBlaster and issue went away...

"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech