Author Topic: Perk the Yak3  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Re: Perk the Yak3
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2021, 02:32:20 PM »
And a 30mm round blows them to bits rather than just flying home giggling!

Landing that tater just requires a precise guess of where the negative G stirring yak is going to appear in your gunsite.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2021, 12:29:10 PM »
The 9T had the 37mm right? I remember it being murder against Landing ships.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2021, 06:22:11 PM »
I think I'm calling BS.  Simon, who in a Yak3 beats you?

HONK!
Gooss
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2021, 08:25:15 PM »
Yak-3 only had 8.5mm armor behind the pilot's seat.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2021, 07:06:00 AM »
Yak3 is amongst the top in acceleration, climb rate, top speed, roll rate and its ability to absorb damage.

Perk it please.  :salute

+1

-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Simon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2021, 11:21:07 AM »
Haha Gooss no doubt there are plenty of folks that could rock a Yak3, yourself included.  :salute Lucky for us the better sticks mostly have some semblence of shame and would never degrade themselves to such a level.

Thing is the Yaks attack in bunches. They get their kills from other people's fights. They're not really dangerous on a 1 vs 1, but with their 'get out of jail free' card they can just stick-stir all the way home at the first sign of a disadvantage. Since they're so hard to kill in the first place, it's almost inevitable they'll make it to their ack, or at least to all their buddies. Then they'll come back and vulch you once you're tied up in a fight.

A quick skim shows a majority of the posters in this thread agree that something should be done about the Yak3. We only represent a small percentage, but it seems to be a consistent opinion in the game chat, too.

Is anything going to change?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2021, 11:34:41 AM »
Haha Gooss no doubt there are plenty of folks that could rock a Yak3, yourself included.  :salute Lucky for us the better sticks mostly have some semblence of shame and would never degrade themselves to such a level.

Thing is the Yaks attack in bunches. They get their kills from other people's fights. They're not really dangerous on a 1 vs 1, but with their 'get out of jail free' card they can just stick-stir all the way home at the first sign of a disadvantage. Since they're so hard to kill in the first place, it's almost inevitable they'll make it to their ack, or at least to all their buddies. Then they'll come back and vulch you once you're tied up in a fight.

A quick skim shows a majority of the posters in this thread agree that something should be done about the Yak3. We only represent a small percentage, but it seems to be a consistent opinion in the game chat, too.

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2021, 01:08:48 PM »

I roll to a base with a small but decent dar bar. Get there in my P47. I see 3 yaks and La7... I try to keep em low, put 70 bullets of direct hits in the la7s and yak but they fly away with little damage of course, but eventually one yak3 easily matched my alt. We tango but collide and I lose half a wing. I dive away, now with 2 yaks and a la7 trailing. On the deck. I make it just about stopped on the runway, not before the La7 belines it right to me with 4 other of my friendlies in to engage, to kill me skidding on the runway so I couldn't land my kills. 

This is the state of AH. Lowering the yak3 eny will not make any difference. The spit 16 still gets the second most kills regardless of ENY. These planes should be perked. The p51 is fine at 5 eny, but these others should be perked. The lame gameplay is just out of control with these easy mode super late war planes.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2021, 02:36:01 PM »
Seems the damage and flight modeling is what needs fixed...
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2021, 06:16:31 AM »
I flew a Yak against a P51 last night. He made the mistake of not keeping his speed up and deck fighting out of the vertical. I can remember in the canyon map getting my butt handed to me by a P-51 stick who really knew his stuff and kept his energy up forcing me to fight "his" fight. A slashing vertical fight.

Not that the Yak is a stall fighter but it excels in a P-38 type fight staying about 200 mph and semi vertical with some altitude to retain some energy. Keep it at that level and your bound to get a crossing shot with the nose guns just like with a P38.

Im no good in a P51 but Ive seen guys just upend them and only stay vertical turning their energy into angle of attack and just spin you around. They stay so fast you never get a poke at them. Heck we had a Mossie driver, I forget his name, who would do the same thing. Starting at 10k and always ending back up there. Get in a turn fight on the deck with a Mustang and your fighting "his" fight.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"