Author Topic: Il2 vs AH  (Read 429 times)

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Il2 vs AH
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2002, 10:54:02 AM »
The lack of a 6 view is somewhat subjective. It's up to who's playing the game whether they like it or not. It kind of makes up for the lack of rear view mirrors many of these planes had. However, that's not what I miss.. the fact that I can't move my head just a little bit atleast to get a better view around the cockpit and around those gigantic cockpit spars (in 109, 190 and Il2 specifically) is a big detraction for me for the view system.

Other than that, it's a fun game. I had a lot of fun playing on a "full real" with padlock 1942 server. Took a 109G2 and proceeded to BnZ a MiG3U (admittedly, he was not very good) and then saw an Il2 which I dove down on and hammered for a while before I killed his gunner and had free range on pelting him till his tail fell off.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the hell out of it... I just think the view system is extremely restricted. AH may be too liberal with some of the planes (the newer ones have better restrictions on how far you can move the viewpoint around), but I find that it gives a better simulation of how a pilot can move around in his cockpit.
-SW

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Il2 vs AH
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2002, 11:31:17 AM »
Fair enough, and a good discussion.

It’s my point what you find limiting “the fact that I can't move my head just a little bit atleast to get a better view around the cockpit” is what I’m saying in IL-2 is possible in almost all of the cockpit view spectrum besides the pure 6 view , which I like. With the mouse view, I can micro it out. Most sims I can’t. Couple it with AH’s ability to view and save various zooms? Yeah, that’d be nice. But it’s a far cry from saying IL-2 puts you on a stick pivot. Takes some creative limited zoom view usage, but the mouse scroll makes up for it quite well.

Now to achieve that, the Saitek makes it hands off, but even with the mouse itself it’s a good start. Pry a limited feature if you have a different hotas, I know.

Bottom line is every game has it’s merits, I just hate crow, so have taken a better attitude towards adapting to software that does things a bit different, being a long time AH player.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Il2 vs AH
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2002, 11:47:47 AM »
I understand that by manipulating a few of the "other" views you can somewhat achieve getting your head to "look around" the spars... except for those really, REALLY big ones that impair your view very badly. In the 190, 109 and Il2 I'm referring to the top/front spar where the canopy joins the front windscreen.

If I had a way to move my head down about a 1/2", I'd be satisfied... but by using the "gunsight" view and "non-gunsight" view (the ones that in German aircraft put line you up with the gunsight/line you up with the plane and the view that moves your view position back a few inches in Russian aircraft), I can only achieve looking around the more narrow spars.

With the mouse view, I can scroll my view around, but it's still around a fixed point.. if they could make it adjustable then my major gripe about the view system would be moot and I'd be totally satisfied. Of course, it isn't a MAJOR issue with me.. it's not like it's keeping me from having fun.. it's just the only real issue I have with the view system.

I have a X36 setup, but I use the one rotary that works (I assume you use this to achieve the mouse look? If not, please tell me how you did it) to control elevator trim.. dunno if you knew this, but if you use elevator trim when you are taking off (to maintain being airborne), you gain speed a WHOLE lot quicker than you do by holding back pressure with the joystick. It also helps when you are climbing out, I use trim to control my plane for the most part except combat and landing... and my plane stays faster than most other players planes because of this.

The only thing I absolutely hate about Il2, is that in coops you can't respawn (into another plane in flight, if any are available)... you just gotta leave or watch the action. The dogfight servers on Hyperlobby, specifically the ones that are "full real" and typically earlier war ('41-'42), are excellent games and you can immerse yourself for a good amount of time. Coupled with padlock, full real servers simply rock in Il2. I just wish I could go to external view when I land to look at all the neat bullet holes and other various damage I accrue throughout my engagements. ;)

I don't really prefer AH over Il2 or vice versa... I enjoy 'em both but in different ways.
-SW

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Il2 vs AH
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2002, 11:58:56 AM »
Just make your Mouse Cursor on the Saitek Throttle, "Mouse Button, 1,2,3,4 respective". (I think) Then the Throttle Mouse control lets it acts as the mouse and fine tune around views as the mouse itself, but in limited increments. Works really well that way.

Dunno about the spars, I really never noticed then to the point of finding a work around.

I use the Throttle POV3 for all trim, just like in AH, leaving out the rudder trim. When it gets bad, I use keys for the rudder or constant pressure on my pedals as needed.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Il2 vs AH
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2002, 01:48:38 PM »
Hristo.. I use a hat switch, PAN sucks, and the snap is too slow..

I have spent maybe 10-20 hrs playing IL2, and can't see myself playing anymore (haven't touched it in a month at least)  I gave the view system a chance.  

If Oleg gives me a view system I can live with, I'll give him the price of the game.. until then.... it can collect dust

SKurj

Offline agosling

• Zinc Member
Il2 vs AH
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2002, 02:38:27 PM »
There's another really cool feature - if you step outside and look at your pilot, or the AI pilot, you can see them looking at and tracking the other plane.