Author Topic: 2,500 pounds of US bombs will kill a hanger, but not 2,500 pounds of German bombs  (Read 343 times)

Offline Scot

• Nickel Member
Laz has seen the light............:eek:

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Here Laz... you need this in your signature block...... just cut and paste.

Lazs

Blau 32! Blau 32!/Hut! Hut!

Öffentlichkeitsarbeit-Offizier der blauen Ritter

"küssen Sie Ihr rotes hinteres Ende Auf Wiedersehen, mein Corsair ist auf Ihren sechs!"
« Last Edit: August 08, 2002, 09:52:14 AM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Originally posted by Toad

Lazs

"küssen Sie Ihr rotes hinteres Ende Auf Wiedersehen, mein Corsair ist auf Ihren sechs!"

I don't know German, but I suspect it sames something along the lines of "We know you like men in pink tu-tus?"

:D

Offline runny

• Copper Member
Originally posted by LePaul

I don't know German, but I suspect it sames something along the lines of "We know you like men in pink tu-tus?"

:D

"Kiss your red bellybutton goodbye, my Corsair is on your 6."

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
Originally posted by Toad

Lazs

Public functioning-officer of the blue knights
"Kiss you your red rear end goodbye, my Corsair is on your six!"

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
well..

I put in "Public Relations Officer".. the result is from Alta Vista.

T'was Hooli that told me Laz handles all the PR for the BK's.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
Originally posted by brady
If I drop 2,500 pounds from a US Jabo on a hanger I will kill it.

If I drop the same amount from a German Jabo I will not.

Why is this?

My guess is this. If you dropped 2500 pounds on a hanger and it died?     It was soft.
It takes 3k to kill a hanger. Check your manual...

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
the manual is wrong it takes 2500........

maybe you oughta test it.

the 110g2 carries over 2500lbs (2 x 500kg and 4 x 50kg) but will not kill a hanger. But more then that it effects the 190f8.

a d30 with 2500 lbs or a p38 with 2 x 1000 and 5 rockets will kill a hanger.

Bradys is not a n00b and these things have been tested.

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
X2Lee, trust me m8t, the manual is wrong on the hanger issue and the field object issue, they can be killed with 200 pounds, you nead not drop 250 pounds on them.

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
I just found This site while looking for background stuff on fuse delays.

Seems Charge-Weight ratio could have something to do with it, maybe.

I haven't read the whole page (it's very long and I'm very impatient  :D )

Hope someone finds it interesting.

Gatso

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
Expanding a bit:

Bombs were classified by their CWR (Charge-to-Weigh-Ratio) the percentage of explosive compared to the gross weight of the weapon. GP (General Purpose) bombs had a CWR of 30-35% meaning that most of the weight of these bombs consisted of metal casing not explosive. When it was realized that the weight of the bomb casing is a necessary evil, something to be reduced as much as possible this led to the development of new weapons such as the 4,000 HC ('Block Buster') which greatly increased the offensive power of RAF's bombers.

MC (Medium Capacity) bombs had a CWR of 40-50% while HC (High Capacity) weapons had a CWR of 75-80%, the latter being essentially explosive packed metal drums. Extensive aerodynamic streamlining was dispensed with since these bombs were carried internally. As already mentioned the 4,000 lb 'Block Buster' or 'Cookie' was a very effective weapon in this class and after its introduction rapidly became a mainstay of Bomber Command.

Note: the were MC versions of both the 500 and 1000lb bomb.

SD = SPRENGBOMBE DICKWANDIG - Medium cased steel weapons and, being either anti-personnel or semi-armour piercing, had a charge-to-weight ratio of 35 per cent explosive; 50, 250, 500 and 1700 kg versions

However:

SC = SPRENGBOMBE CYLINDRICH - designed for maximum blast effect having a high charge-to-weight ratio of 55 per cent explosive SC bombs were used primarily for general demolition. Approximately 8 out of 10 of German high explosive bombs dropped on the U.K. were of the SC type. Sizes included 50 kg, 250 kg, 500 kg, 1000 kg "Hermann", and the 1800 kg "Satan". There was even a 2500 kg type although rarely used.

Maybe we've got the SD German bombs modelled?  I dunno. Thoughts?

Gatso

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
At the moment 1 500k bomg = 1000lb bomb,basicly a 500k and 1000lb are the same except for the shape. We will change it to the 0.45359 ratio instead of 0.5 in one of the future patches.

But don't jump for joy yet, I might also change the hangar hardness up a bit. The intent is to have to use 3000 lb to destroy it, with one being able to miss a bit.

HiTech

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
thanks HT :)

Offline Scootter

• Silver Member
Duds??

Must be bad fuses, made by slave's of the Reich

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
TY HiTech:)

So....I will still not be able to kill a hanger with a German Jabo, only an alied one, if the hangers are hardened.