Author Topic: And they wonder why they lose!  (Read 298 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
And they wonder why they lose!
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2002, 04:34:10 PM »
Originally posted by Steve
I remember the scenario but don't remember badgering anyone, heck I don't think I said a word.. you must be talking to Doody.  Thanks though for explaining the logic behind your actions,  I appreciate the lessons.

:)

Steve

Yup, I'm talking to the ever impatient Doody. :)

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline MWHUN

• Copper Member
      • http://www.most-wanted.org
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2002, 04:36:46 PM »
Being defensive accomplishes little unless you can frustrate the enmy into picking a different target.  The Carriers were not being held in reserve to be used for offensive operation when numbers would be more balanced—they were “hidden” way out of any useful reach.  (That’s not a tactic—that’s just lame!)

If the country is going to fold because of 1 or 2 enemy CVs patrolling then there are bigger issues that need to be addressed.  Besides if you have to go down it is much better to do it with guns blazing then on your knees.

Side Note:  Widewing—DOODY understands arena dynamics and strategy more than you could possibly imagine.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2002, 07:55:59 PM »
Originally posted by MWHUN
Being defensive accomplishes little unless you can frustrate the enmy into picking a different target.  The Carriers were not being held in reserve to be used for offensive operation when numbers would be more balanced—they were “hidden” way out of any useful reach.  (That’s not a tactic—that’s just lame!)

If the country is going to fold because of 1 or 2 enemy CVs patrolling then there are bigger issues that need to be addressed.  Besides if you have to go down it is much better to do it with guns blazing then on your knees.

Side Note:  Widewing—DOODY understands arena dynamics and strategy more than you could possibly imagine.

Clearly, neither of you have a clue....

Please present one logical and coherent reason why a captured CV should be risked? Especially when the port for that CV is just 30 miles from a base generally beyond direct support (A48 Mindinao). Suppose you capture CV-35. If you keep it hidden, you prevent it from harassing your southern flank. That means you are not distracted by enemy raids in that area, and can concentrate your manpower elsewhere. Please, demonstrate for us your unimaginable grasp of strat and tactics. Why would you not keep CV35 safely hidden?

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline MWHUN

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2002, 11:51:50 AM »
Well Widewing I was not talking to you but as usual you take everything so personal. (I just made a 1 sentence side note to you)

Even though you are insulting DOODY and I without even knowing who we are or what we are all about I’m not going to turn this into pissin’ contest with you.

The fact remains that CV hiding is LAME! I don’t care which side does it or what the numbers are—protecting CVs and “driving” them smart is one thing—taking them to the remotest part of the map requires NO TACTICAL SKILL.  You want to demonstrate tactics to me—show me how you keep an actively engaged CV alive—not how good your hiding skills are.  A 2 year old can protect a CV by hiding it.  If an area is too hot I have no problem with the carrier pulling back or even steaming for another part of the map where it can eventually be useful; but sailing it out just to hide it- is completely useless.  If you have multiple fleets why not group them tighter and have them act as a powerful offensive force?

A CV can also be used to bait an enemy to commit large resources to recapture their CV and you can exploit gaps and weaknesses at other fields-especially effective when you have a goal-oriented mission up.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2002, 12:12:38 PM »
I'd like...

[ ] an nme CV 3 miles off shore one of our bases.
[X] our CV somewhere where noone can find it.

Offline BigGun

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2002, 12:15:40 PM »
I think it would be a good idea for a team to lose the CV after a certain amount of time has passed without port ownership.

If you can't recapture the port, then you lose the CV. Just my opinion.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2002, 07:33:59 PM »
Originally posted by MWHUN
Well Widewing I was not talking to you but as usual you take everything so personal. (I just made a 1 sentence side note to you)

Even though you are insulting DOODY and I without even knowing who we are or what we are all about I’m not going to turn this into pissin’ contest with you.

The fact remains that CV hiding is LAME! I don’t care which side does it or what the numbers are—protecting CVs and “driving” them smart is one thing—taking them to the remotest part of the map requires NO TACTICAL SKILL.  You want to demonstrate tactics to me—show me how you keep an actively engaged CV alive—not how good your hiding skills are.  A 2 year old can protect a CV by hiding it.  If an area is too hot I have no problem with the carrier pulling back or even steaming for another part of the map where it can eventually be useful; but sailing it out just to hide it- is completely useless.  If you have multiple fleets why not group them tighter and have them act as a powerful offensive force?

A CV can also be used to bait an enemy to commit large resources to recapture their CV and you can exploit gaps and weaknesses at other fields-especially effective when you have a goal-oriented mission up.

Exactly what I expected.... "It's Lame."

You have still not answered my simple question....

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

Offline MWHUN

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2002, 11:40:50 PM »
Because carriers are designed for offensive operation and to allow a nation to take the battle to the enemies back yard.  By hiding it your doing nothing more than “gaming the game.”

Mr. Tactic—why don’t you sail the carrier over to another task group in the south and conduct joint operations with them or position it for a defensive roll near our main land—why hide it out of reach of anything useful?

Offline Ecliptik

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2002, 11:54:38 PM »
A 2 year old can protect a CV by hiding it.

Sometimes, the obvious thing to do is the best thing to do.