Author Topic: Do you like, or dislike the 'Disappearing Icons' feature?  (Read 635 times)

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Do you like, or dislike the 'Disappearing Icons' feature?
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2000, 08:18:00 AM »
 If I recall correctly the icon under the plane idea was nixxed many moons ago as just plain undoable with the AH programming. I suspect part of the reason may be because when the aircraft is on the ground or just above it that the icon cannot go any lower than greound level. In other words it can't disappear and it can't get lower than ground zero. Then again that's only a possible reason and I'm just guessing. No onefrom HTC ever said why it was undoable, just that it was.

-Westy

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2000, 08:39:00 AM »
Even If it worked right I think I would still hate it.

I would rather have no icons at all than 1 that flickers on and off.

------------------
Mighty1
The New Baby Harp Seals
"Come try to club THIS Seal"
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Ice

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2000, 08:58:00 AM »
I like it for the sneaky reasons

Dislike it for the canopy frames causing the light show.

Overall...happy our product gets the level of attention from HTC...if forced, I'll get used to it

I'm Out!

Offline sourkraut

• Copper Member
      • http://www.riverrunne.com
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2000, 04:22:00 PM »
Must admit that I hate it. (Am I the only one?) This has really hurt the lessor skilled pilots such as I - I just can't maintain SA at all. Trying to get guns AND find that contact that is somewhere behind/ above you was almost do-able, but now it is very difficult for me. I have been continually jumped from behind even though I spend most of my time looking aft.

Even though the viewing system for AH is much better than other sims (so I have been told), it still is limited to 8 views on  each plane. Seems that the pilot would be able to stretch his neck a  little to see around that canopy strut.

The disappearing icon thingie is the first thing that I have actually whined about (on-line) to my squaddies - and the first time I have ever logged due to frustration.

Don't know how newbies will ever cope with this.

Besides that the icons popping in and out because of the gun sight edges (in P51) is really silly.

Sour

------------------
Sour
JG-2 Richthofen

"Hey - someone has to be the target...."

edog

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2000, 04:27:00 PM »

These icons now in combination with a whole host of other things in this version have had the effect of creating some of the best fights I've gotten into since.... well... a long time.

Awww, go on, Nash - say it.  It won't kill ya  

edog

TBone

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2000, 05:24:00 PM »
I have both comment and question on the icon issue and would be interested in hearing what you guys think:

I generally like the shorter distance to icon appearance, although I have seen a bogie occasionally disappear momentarily.  I have often wondered if that disappearance was not a problem not so much with the icon as with the scale the planes are rendered at distance.  

Certainly larger scale would be essential to allow earlier ID if the game was an allies v. axis.  But with the structure of a mix of planes, there must be some type of ID assist, which is currently being done by color coded alphanumeric icons. Has eliminating the alphanumeric icon in favor of a only a color ID been considered?  And how about coupling that with a slight increase on the aircraft scale?  

Offline sourkraut

• Copper Member
      • http://www.riverrunne.com
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2000, 08:20:00 PM »
Another comment/question on this -

Tried to work on this new SA problem offline. The drone icons do not disappear when obscured. Is there an arena setting for this?

Sour

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2000, 09:17:00 PM »
I dislike  it. I do like the reduced icon range.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown