Author Topic: Change the map rotation slightly?  (Read 3053 times)

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Change the map rotation slightly?
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2003, 08:52:10 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
Not to worry though, soon TOD will arrive and you can go try to make folks play your way there, general.

the more i see how clueless and easymode beet1e flys... i'm having a harder time trying to accept that even the AI drones in TOD will respect his mad skillz.

:rofl
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2003, 08:54:33 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
The MA never was and is not intended to recreate WW2.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2003, 08:58:48 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e

it didn't specifically say "MA" in that pix anywhere.

SEA (events), CT (great potential)...

besides, you already said you don't beleive that AH is anywhere near "realistic/immersive" enough.  perhaps you might try WB3 or FA(2/3 whichever) or WW2OL, or IL2, or... or... or.... any number of boxed sims with AI that will give you all the challenge you desire - hell, you would probably even earn medals and stuff!!
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2003, 09:01:14 AM »
Originally posted by Shane
it didn't specifically say "MA" in that pix anywhere.
It didn't have to!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2003, 09:01:52 AM »
So this accurately and realistically recreates WW2?

BTW, there's a feature you missed if you really want WW2:

Note it says "historical scenarios" which DO NOT take place in the MA. I stand by my statement.

Funny that in the MA it's a three-way featuring Knights, Bishops and Rooks. Each country has exactly the same aircraft available to them. Where exactly did that combat take place in your version of WW2?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 09:09:05 AM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Cooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2003, 09:29:35 AM »
Yep, Over in the WB "Historical" arena you can re-create the little known about..
 Hellcat vs. Zeke battles over the English Channel ;)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 09:32:34 AM by Cooley »
Cooleyof 367th

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2003, 09:48:34 AM »
I always remember how those Brand-W scenarios would be scheduled for US Prime time - about 4am for me. And the icon range would be so short that you'd be chasing dots. Sure way to get a headache.

Oh well, sorry your not enjoying BI. I was in there this morning for an hour. Was OK at first, CV battles, but then the suicide jabo and 300' LANC formations started appearing... :( :mad:

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2003, 09:53:32 AM »
Are you dodging yet again Beet?

Make the case that the design of the MA is intended to recreate WW2. Be sure and explain how all three combatant sides in the MA get to use the same set of aircraft.

I've had some fun on BI so far. Not much, but some. 90% of the fun I've had is linked to a CV in the equation. Once the CV is sunk, it's usually time for the DA, which has been VERY good of late. The CT this week isn't really too interesting to me.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2003, 10:00:53 AM »
what fate is likely to befall me on account of this weakness of position?

You will remain a stick in the mud for the rest of your days:)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2003, 11:58:27 AM »
Alrighty then. And where did you say the film was?

Check my stats too. I think I do OK, and I get shot down plenty!

Yes I see you fly mostly Spit V. I also see you're an LA7 dweeb, as well as flying most of the other Easymode™ planes. I guess you save those planes for those lonely nights when there's no-one to hold your hand. ;)

Seriously, I used to moonlight in WB with a band called the Scanian Griffins. A very well organised squad, led by a Swedish guy called Rudu. Working in a well organised group (mostly only 3 or 4 of us) I was amazed at how my k/d skyrocketed. So if you're in the company of your fellow dw... er, TAS squadmates, I can see how you'd do well. But go and film one of those sorties where you get a bucketload of kills, working alone below 6K in your Spit V, and then we'll talk again. But post the film, boy. And give my red sig. text a read. :lol

Film ? ... I don't need no steekin' films. I don't usually film, and if I do its for my own edification for learning and not to prove something ... but I might have to roll film just for the heck of it.

I just cheked you stats and your top 4 planes fall into the "if-I-screwup-i'm-outta-here-so-I-wont-die-and-I-can-sleep-tonight" ™ category. Nothing surprising here.

I have been with the TAS for a little over a week now ... and as I pointed out before, I fly more than most in the TAS so I do fly alone most often.

Your lone wolf theory still does not hold water.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2003, 12:09:54 PM »
But go and film one of those sorties where you get a bucketload of kills, working alone below 6K in your Spit V, and then we'll talk again. But post the film, boy. And give my red sig. text a read. :lol

Slapshot didn't make it, but he is in it.

Enjoy.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2003, 12:28:39 PM »
Mr. Toad. I've never seen that animated .GIF that you posted above, and looking at the source, it does not appear to be on HTC's website. Can you point me at the original?

To answer your questions... Of course, we cannot recreate WW2. Those $14.95 subscriptions would soon dry up, what with everyone dying for real! But at the other end of the scale, we have the totally unrealistic suicide crap, LANC divebombing formations, and numerous other Game-the-Game player initiatives. Note my use of the word "scale". Some WW2 games are much more structured, with returning to base after the mission a key factor, and teamwork is indispensable. The bridge connecting these scenarios is a sliding scale like a trombone slide, not a scale with notches representing fixed positions along its length, and certainly not an on/off switch. I was middle of road in Brand-W on the gameplay issues. Some guys there wanted everything to be modelled as in WW2. You'd laugh, but I know of guys who actually dressed up in a military get-up to play the damned game! Hehe, I wasn't one of them. ;) I didn't care to have to fly for 8 hours to get a kill, and clearly concessions are needed for gameplay. WW2 was not fun, therefore the more we move towards REAL the further we'll get from FUN... but as I've said before, I believe that there's a limit to how far we can go the other way (away from REAL) before we're no longer getting any nearer to FUN. And it is my opinion (and that of other players - your opinion may and does indeed differ) that we have long since passed that point.

All sides having the same planes? Yep, but I've seen what happens when the different sides choose between different plane sets - sideswitching, avion du jour etc. So the current set up is a gaming concession. I campaigned to have the sides locked for an entire tour in WB. A compromise was reached - minimum time between side switches increased from 15 mins to 1 hour. :eek::rolleyes:

But weedwacking at 2K in a Mustang - every flight ??? No thanks. But far be it from me to tell you how to fly!

Rude! Hard not to like a guy whose first name is Otto. ;) That is you, isn't it?

Slapshot, you are becoming tedious. Either put up, or shut up. But don't expect me to believe you or take anything you say at face value.
I have been with the TAS for a little over a week now ... and as I pointed out before, I fly more than most in the TAS so I do fly alone most often.

Your lone wolf theory still does not hold water.
I guess those are the times you save for your LA7 - a "if-I-screwup-i'm-outta-here-so-I-wont-die-and-I-can-sleep-tonight" ™ plane if ever there was one. I have film proof to substantiate any claims I might make, and I don't see why it's unreasonable to expect you to provide same. So until that time, go forth and urinate.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 12:45:59 PM by beet1e »

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2003, 12:57:50 PM »
Please do enlighten me - what fate is likely to befall me on account of this weakness of position?  

you'll never be able to ACM your way out of an air castle.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2003, 01:17:17 PM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
Slapshot didn't make it, but he is in it.

Enjoy.

-- Todd/Leviathn
Excellent film, DMF :)    Now why can't more folks do 'em? I really liked #6 of your 10 kills - an LA7. :D   What I'm looking for from slapshot is something like that. I appreciate you posting this film, but it does mean that Slap was not alone.

I don't generally fly turning planes like that, so have to use other techniques perhaps...

I had a good time making this one a while back - alone except for a buff, over an enemy field. Sort of like your film but with the E fiter winning out over the T&B guys. Spit Dweebs!

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2003, 02:13:30 PM »
But weedwacking at 2K in a Mustang - every flight ??? No thanks.

Actually it's a blast.  I don't know about that 2k thing.. I fought Rude the other day but I think we got up to 4K or so.. hmmm come to think of it, I had E.. he might not have gone over 2K.  Anyway, it sure was fun, and Rude was doin just fine in his low, slow pony.

Beet, I read on other threads where you typed that you typically fly from 15-20k. Dude, you also thumped your chest about having a 3/1 K/D ratio in a pony when it was your main ride.  Shhhhh.  at that alt in a pony, if you're not at 15/1 or so you really shouldn't mention it.  :) .... ya dang girl scout.

OTOH, I don't see why these recent furball converts bray so loudly at others who chose not to fly their way. As if, since they now furball, it is somehow less manly to fly any other way. The hypocricy is amusing. Had one of them call me a "sky accountant" the other day, and he had spent the bulk of his AH time as a pony pilot...the irony gave me a chuckle, and this from a guy who has by far his greatest numbers of kills in a pony.  Suddenly, their former "peers" are somehow less than they themselves are because they haven't changed flying styles to what is seen as "cool".  When will they learn that changing their spots does not change their history?  I'm disappointed they behave this way personally because I tend to agree with them across the board on what constitutes a good map/fight/fun.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve