Author Topic: The Frozen Chosin (What are the odds)  (Read 606 times)

Offline GrimCO

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.GrimsReapers.com
The Frozen Chosin (What are the odds)
« on: November 14, 2003, 10:53:39 AM »
I was recently doing some research on my Uncle who was killed November 28th, 1950 at the Chosin Reservoir during the Korean War. I found out he was in the 1/32 Infantry Regiment, B Company, 3rd Platoon. Other than this, my family knew little about it. Only that he was KIA, and likely buried in a mass grave somewhere near the Chosin Reservoir.

I started researching, and found the name of a man living in Lubbock, Texas who served in the same regiment. I found his phone number and decided to give him a call. I told him who I was, and as soon as I mentioned my Uncle's name, the tone of his voice immediately changed.

He proceeded to tell me that he and my uncle were very good friends and were in the same SQUAD! What he said next absolutely floored me.

He told me that they were awakened in the middle of the night on the 28th of November and told to get their rifles ready. It was 30 degrees below zero, and they had no winter clothing.
They were surrounded by Chinese Communist Forces who had poured across the border from Manchuria, and were in for the fight of their lives outnumbered 10 to 1.

My uncle and six others were sent ahead to scout a trail on top of a hill near their command post. They were ambushed by the Chinese and all of them were killed instantly by machine gun fire. "Mowed down" as he put it.

He then told me that he and several others ran up the hill, grabbed the bodies, and dragged them back down the hill. He was the one that dragged my uncle's body down the hill. They lined the bodies up next to eachother, and were then attacked again by the Chinese. They were forced to leave the bodies behind in a fighting retreat. He was then shot 6 times himself and manged to drag himself down an embankment and hide under an railway bridge. He is now missing both of his legs which had to be amputated due to his injuries.

He told me that he has a map and could show me exactly where they left the bodies. He also has several pictures of him and my uncle together in Korea which he is going to send me. My aunt gave a DNA sample last year for possible DNA matching, but the Army had no idea where his remains were located.

What are the odds that the first man I contacted was the one who actually dragged my uncle's body down from the top of that hill? Unbelievable!

I now hope that his remains can be located thanks to the help of this brave man.

<> to my uncle John H. Pekkala, a member of the famed "Frozen Chosin". KIA Novermber 28th, 1950, and special thanks to Cecil McMorris who has helped my family more than he'll ever know.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 11:01:25 AM by GrimCO »

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2003, 11:12:27 AM »
WoW Grim! I've looked for similar information about my Grandfather and his unit in the Phillipines (wounded and since passed away), so I know how hard such a search can be.  You hit the jackpot it sounds like.

Good luck in your search.

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 11:21:53 AM »
and WTG.

I wouldn't even begin to know how to calculate odds that long.  I just take it to mean that it's time for him to come home.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 11:33:42 AM »
Excellent Grimm. You probably made an old man very happy just by being interested too.

Offline LLv34 Jarsci

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2003, 11:36:13 AM »
Hey Grimgo!! That Surname Pekkala is definately of Finnish origin!! Can you confirm/backtrack your family tree that your origins are from Finland?

Just interested about that..

GL with finding the remains.

Offline 1K0N

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2003, 11:39:52 AM »
Great story Grim!!

I having lost a parent several months ago have been given the job of going thru the belongings and distributing to the other kids.
 I have piles and piles of letters and pictures to go thru and while doing this very sad choir I found a letter from a family member during WW2 announcing the death of a great cousin of mine over europe. He was in a B-24 over Italy as the Pilot of the leed Bomber of the group and the bomb bay was hit by a 88 flak they think and 3 B-24's in the group were destroyed when the bombs detonated..  So I am sitting on the floor of the garage sad from the pictures and memories and then I read this letter and by this time I cant talk cause I am choked up from the letter... What a pathetic sight I was...
 But I have a research project now cause I want to know more about what happened..

1K0N

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2003, 11:44:43 AM »
I'd be interested in knowing how you did your research; where you started, who you contacted, such like that.  Great story.  Sounds like you did the right research!

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2003, 11:51:52 AM »
Wow.  Incredible stuff.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Jack55

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2003, 11:57:03 AM »
Some basic historical information on the 32nd Infantry Regiment is on the Global Security web site.  Apparently it was part of the 7th ID during WW2 and the Korean war, and 1-32nd is now part of the 10th Mountain Division.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/1-32in.htm

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2003, 01:10:22 PM »
wow, that's is amazing!  

The chosin was not a great place to be from what I've been taught.  My chesty puller quote in my sig line is actually from that battle.  From what I've been taught everyone had frost bight and there was 12 chinese DIVISIONS surrounding them.  Wounded marines would leave the hospital, go over to a pile of bodies and pick up a weapon so they could go fight.  

both army and marines took a licking but faught on.  Here's a good read on the chosin:

http://www.chosinreservoir.com/smithinterview.htm

Offline GrimCO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2003, 10:47:08 PM »
Originally posted by LLv34 Jarsci
Hey Grimgo!! That Surname Pekkala is definately of Finnish origin!! Can you confirm/backtrack your family tree that your origins are from Finland?

Just interested about that..

GL with finding the remains.

Yes sir, my great grandparents on my mother's side were from Finland. I guess the name Pekkala gave that one away :)

Offline GrimCO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2003, 10:52:41 PM »
Originally posted by gofaster
I'd be interested in knowing how you did your research; where you started, who you contacted, such like that.  Great story.  Sounds like you did the right research!

Hey there Gofaster,

Feel free to email me, and I'll let you know how I did my research. It's too long to post here.

email is hoffylex@insightbb.com

Offline GrimCO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2003, 10:54:59 PM »
Originally posted by 1K0N
Great story Grim!!

I having lost a parent several months ago have been given the job of going thru the belongings and distributing to the other kids.
 I have piles and piles of letters and pictures to go thru and while doing this very sad choir I found a letter from a family member during WW2 announcing the death of a great cousin of mine over europe. He was in a B-24 over Italy as the Pilot of the leed Bomber of the group and the bomb bay was hit by a 88 flak they think and 3 B-24's in the group were destroyed when the bombs detonated..  So I am sitting on the floor of the garage sad from the pictures and memories and then I read this letter and by this time I cant talk cause I am choked up from the letter... What a pathetic sight I was...
 But I have a research project now cause I want to know more about what happened..

1K0N

Yeah, it sure does stir up memories when you look at old photographs. That's mainly what started me searching for information on my uncle. If you need any help on how to go about it, just let me know sir.  

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2003, 11:07:38 PM »
I know only what little I've read and what documentaries I've seen but I believe that the men in the battle at the Chosin Reservoir were tested in the extreme and found not wanting.

Hats off to your uncle GrimCO and all of the other men with him.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline GrimCO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2003, 08:17:21 AM »
Originally posted by AKIron
I know only what little I've read and what documentaries I've seen but I believe that the men in the battle at the Chosin Reservoir were tested in the extreme and found not wanting.

Hats off to your uncle GrimCO and all of the other men with him.

Hey there Iron,

After talking with this man and hearing some of the stories, it had to be downright frightening to be there. But they fought bravely, though outnumbered 10-1, and wound up wiping out nearly the entire 80th Division of the Chinese Communist Forces. Having no winter clothing in 30 below zero weather had to be pretty dismal as well. It's truly an amazing historical battle.