Author Topic: Read it and think about it....  (Read 1526 times)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Read it and think about it....
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2003, 12:11:59 PM »
The true measure of a Democracy is not how it serves the majority, but how it protects the minority.

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2003, 12:21:40 PM »
Originally posted by SaburoS
Name the "right wing conservatives" here that are tolerant of liberal viewpoints. Kind of works both ways, no?

I'm tolerant of liberal viewpoints as far as their right to hold them....when they tell me that I must allow them to be adopted policy in our country, I take exception with voice and vote....kinda like liberals do regarding the beliefs they have ie, enviroment, abortion, affirmative action, etc.

What struck me odd about this thread was not both camps holding opposing viewpoints, that was to be expected.....the insult and namecalling by the first responder caused me to post initially....now I'm continuing a healthy discussion with my liberal friends:)

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2003, 12:28:01 PM »
Originally posted by SaburoS
Hmmm, according to Funked, you must be a "liberal" ;)

Huh?  I didn't say liberal.  And I was talking about people calling the guy "stupid" and "arse" without attempting any criticism of the content of the post.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2003, 12:35:57 PM »
Funked is an arse.  And the content of his post is stupid.  :aok

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2003, 12:51:17 PM »
DAMN LEFTY FURRYASS!!!

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2003, 12:56:56 PM »
Originally posted by FUNKED1
Huh?  I didn't say liberal.  And I was talking about people calling the guy "stupid" and "arse" without attempting any criticism of the content of the post.

Since you want to split hairs here, where did anyone here call the writer an "arse"?

"Stupid and/or ignorant" can mean:
1) Stupid
2) Ignorant
3) Both

Thrawn didn't make it specific because he probably feels he doesn't have enough info on the author, my guess.

You, no the other hand, in your criticism of the "left going Ad Hominem" in this thread, decided to go Ad Hominem on the "lefties" here with that very statement. Ironic, don't you think? Or are you a "lefty"?

I noticed you ignored the very next post after Thrawn's initial one here. Is Hortlund a "lefty"?
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2003, 12:59:51 PM »
Originally posted by Rude
I'm tolerant of liberal viewpoints as far as their right to hold them....when they tell me that I must allow them to be adopted policy in our country, I take exception with voice and vote....kinda like liberals do regarding the beliefs they have ie, enviroment, abortion, affirmative action, etc.

What struck me odd about this thread was not both camps holding opposing viewpoints, that was to be expected.....the insult and namecalling by the first responder caused me to post initially....now I'm continuing a healthy discussion with my liberal friends:)

Sorry to have questioned your motives but your initail posts there don't look that tolerant to me :)

Heathy discussions are always a good thing especially on sensitive subjects. ~S~!
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2003, 02:09:43 PM »
There is some truth...

"I believe a self-righteous liberal or conservative with a cause is more dangerous than a Hell's Angel with an attitude."
sand

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2003, 02:43:40 PM »
Mighty intolerant of many of you not to respect the authors right to an opinion.   I didn't seem him threaten anyone, nor promote violence.

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2003, 02:51:52 PM »
Damn racist.
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2003, 02:59:47 PM »
Mighty silly not to realize that some opinions can be dangerous.

People have every right to have them, but still dangerous.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2003, 03:13:35 PM »
Am I wrong to see almost nothing wrong with the contents of the initial post?

What exactly are some of you getting your panties in a bunch over?

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2003, 03:15:39 PM »
Originally posted by Mickey1992
Hardly any truth at all, I would say.  The author definately appears to be ignorant, or at best an arse.

For those who couldn't find the referance to calling the author an "arse", here it is. Rather close to the beginning of the thread.

As to the "racist" comments towards the author, where is he saying he (or she for that matter) intends any less tollerance towards a racial group than any non racial group should receive? I understand the first "reaction" towards any discussion of discrimination tends to favor a minority or racial group but he doesn't advocate discrimination, just parity.

Before you flame on for that statement let me finish by saying I find a black or hispanic or white (or any other racial moniker you wish to add) only group to be equally racist. Discrimination is discrimniation and applies to all if a population segment is singled out on the basis of a supposed race differance. The same goes for preferential treatment as well as negative treatment.

AFAIAC there is only one human race, they just come in differant shapes sizes and colors. Deal with it.

The author has some opinions and is certainly able to express them in this country. I don't agree with all of them but I certainly do not see a fascist or hate monger displayed by it.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2003, 03:17:48 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
Mighty silly not to realize that some opinions can be dangerous.

People have every right to have them, but still dangerous.

I don't agree MT.

An opinion is not dangerous.  

Actions can be dangerous, but not an opinion.

Opinions may lead to action, but again, it's the action that can be dangerous.

Unless of course you wish to invoke the thought police to insure noone has dangerous opinions.  BTW, who would decide which opinions are dangerous and which ones are not.

Offline mrblack

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2003, 03:21:55 PM »
Funny stuff.
i think It's bye that comedien Dennis Whats his name?????
The blonde haired guy that smokes alot.