Author Topic: Drop Attack Category  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Hyrax81st

• Copper Member
Drop Attack Category
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2003, 04:22:37 PM »
Okey doke...

Thanks for the correction.

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
Drop Attack Category
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2003, 05:17:28 PM »
How about something like:

If you collide with a ground object or terrain within 3 seconds of dropping ord = no points or perks & any damage you do repairs at twice the normal rate for the object.

Or

Death based cost increases for 500kg/1000lb bombs per player and/or cost increases for a/c:

Attack mission sortie/death ratio > 0.75
P47+2 x 1k bombs = 0 perks
ratio between .5 and 0.75
P47+2 x1k bombs = 5 perks
ratio between .5 and .1
P47+ 2 x1k bombs = 20 perks
ratio < 0.1
100 perks

250kg/500lbers or less would alway be free,
but you would need to work with others or make more than one run to have the same effect.

This would cut at the hart of the problem: death doesn't cost anything so why try and stay alive?

I also agree with changing the rules so that a/c still on the ground count as attack kills, not fighter kills.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2003, 05:28:35 PM by Pei »

Offline tapakeg

• Nickel Member
Drop Attack Category
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2003, 05:53:34 PM »
I just wonder why there is a "base capture" score in the attack area.
You know that your landing gear is up and locked when it takes full power to taxi to the terminal

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Drop Attack Category
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2003, 11:00:43 PM »
Originally posted by SixxGunn
I wish they would just automate it.

If your dropping stuff in the dirt or straffing planes on ground it should score those kills as attack automatically.

If your destoying objects score as attack.

If you kill other planes in the air score as fighter automatically.

You would have to stop scoring gunnery accuracy.

Offline Ecliptik

• Nickel Member
Drop Attack Category
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2003, 11:07:26 PM »
One of the reasons ToD seems so attractive to me is that it provides major incentive not to be a suicide dweeb.  I hope ToD is popular.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Drop Attack Category
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2003, 12:23:26 AM »
Hornet - but keep it for LA7! ;) Just kidding!

I used to score fighter and attack sorties separately, but tend not to bother any more. The thing to remember is that jabo planes are going to be slow and cumbersome, and won't be operating at great height. For that reason they are more vulnerable. Jabo is very high risk. You can be cherrypicked en route to the target, you can be acked as you make your attacking run and/or shot by a GV. And noobs may well get blown up as their target explodes. Too much of this can really make a mess of your fighter stats assuming you care about them. So the facility of scoring jabo missions in your attack stats can be useful.

As for automating the sortie type according to ord loadout, I don't think this would work but I can see why the furballers think that it could. The reason it wouldn't work is because what begins as a jabo sortie often becomes a fighter sortie after eggs have been deployed on target. Thus the issue is not black and white; there are shades of grey in between.

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
Drop Attack Category
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2003, 11:29:39 AM »
Originally posted by nopoop
I see them as low experienced guys.

It means you still do not know this game good enough. Lot of suicide attackers are highly experienced in jabo work. Low experienced guys die during first jabo run either due to compression, acks, or enemy fighters, so they never do any significant dammage, unless in packs. When you see front line fields of one country all porked you can bet some strat oriented highly experienced squad working in this sector.

Offline MetaTron

• Silver Member
Drop Attack Category
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2003, 12:20:53 AM »
During WWII the award structure for attack was quite different from fighter status, and this is reflected in the two categories of score. The one shining example of a contradiction in this award system are vultches. Traditionally, a fighter pilot could not claim a kill for planes on the ground. Boyington is the only pilot ever awarded a kill for a ground attack, and not everyone goes along with that to this day. Yet, in Aces High you can boost your fighter score by vultching. Do away with that if anything (yeah, right)!

Attack is scored separately in order to measure your individual ability to hit the target. In scoring as a fighter that target should be planes and not mud.

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.lookupinwonder.nl
Drop Attack Category
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2003, 04:58:00 AM »
You know, I don't mind the suiciders from my point of view. The simple fact is that I don't have the time to commit to the strat idea. Sure, I can (and have done so) help with a goon, capping a field, even ground attack. But it's all just 'what suits my mood at the moment'.

And I have to admit, my whole purpose in this game, if there is such a thing is TO SHOOT DOWN OTHER PEOPLE. After a hard days' work I want to get in my Messerschmitt or Mustang and kill the unwary.  In my 1.5 years here I have found out that I haven't become 'part of the community'. I don't fly enough, haven't found people with a similar mindset either. So I just come here to annoy other people by shooting them down.

Still, I'm learning (slowly) as a lone wolf because that's all I do. I ask for nothing more than aircraft to shoot at (the game gives me plenty) and to re-live something of WWII air combat. Most of my kills are from an advantageous tactical position and I kill a LOT of suiciders and novices.

Indeed, an arena full of fighters, constanly honing their skills... that would not be a nice place to be for the averagely talented and sure as hell not for novices.  The top 50 (100, 200?) of really skilled pilots here already can dominate the game.