Author Topic: Inserting Btmp's  (Read 749 times)

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Inserting Btmp's
« on: December 23, 2003, 01:29:50 AM »
After I make map how do I insert it? When I import it all of the elevations go up so the whole terrain is jagged.

And if anyone has jungle-like and city tiles could you e-mail them to AH_Raptor01@Hotmail.com?

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Inserting Btmp's
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2003, 08:46:14 AM »
Not sure what you mean here, but it sounds like you have your elevations wrong or at least the rise wrong.

The B&W values of 0 to 255 (absolute black to absolute white) define your elevations. If you go quickly from 0 to 255 you will see a sharp jagged rise in your terrain. Try smoothing out you heightfield transitions.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Inserting Btmp's
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2003, 10:07:30 AM »
What do you mean by I have my elevations/rise wrong?
Do I insert the map before raising elevations?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2003, 10:12:59 AM by Raptor »

Offline zmeg

• Silver Member
Inserting Btmp's
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2003, 10:38:15 AM »
What you've done is made a clipboard map and imported it as an elevatoin map. To get your map on the clipboard you must change it to 256 color (8 bit, indexed) then put it in a folder named texsrc. this folder isn't there by default you have to create it, this is also where you put skins & textures.
 Do a search on the boards for tiles and you will find a lot of nice ones.

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
Inserting Btmp's
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2003, 10:39:05 AM »
Raptor, I might be off-base here (if I am my apologies) but it sounds to me like you're trying to include your clipboard map by using the "file->import" function in the menu.
The import function is for importing a gray scale bmp to build a height map (set the elevations of your terrain).

To include a clipboard map with your terrain all you need to do is rename the "map.bmp" file so that it's the same as your terrain directory name: i.e. if your terrain directory is called "mountain" then your clipboard map needs to be titled "mountain.bmp". This file should be placed in your terrain directory's texsrc folder. The TE won't make one automatically for you, so you'll have to do that. Once your clipboard map file is renamed and placed in its proper folder all you need to do is restart the TE and open your terrain, the clipboard map will be included automatically and you don't need to do anything else. It will be a part of the terrain .res file when you run a build.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Inserting Btmp's
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2003, 08:27:28 PM »
I made a texsrc folder under my terrain folder and renamed the map the same as the terrain. It has not showed up on the clipboard though.
you must change it to 256 color (8 bit, indexed)

the lowest color setting I can get on my computer is 16 bit. could that be the problem?
The import function is for importing a gray scale bmp to build a height map (set the elevations of your terrain).

So I do not have to go over the whole map setting the elevations individually? If not how do I do so?

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
Inserting Btmp's
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2003, 11:41:42 PM »
Raptor, yes, 16 bit is a problem. If you open up the file in MSPaint (ugh, but if it's all you have it will do) you can save your map.bmp file with the proper name as a 256 color bitmap, which is exactly what you need. That will work. It is application related - it doesn't matter what resolution your computer is actually working at. (This is for the clipboard map - sorry should have said so earlier in this post )

As for your second question.. You can do it either way. You can import a grayscale bitmap (IMPORTANT - save as 24bit colour) into your terrain in the TE to set the elevation. You'll have to determine what is going to be your highest elevation and then make that setting as you import the file - it's actually simpler than it sounds.
Essentially what that means is that you can draw the elevations you want on a grayscale bitmap, save it as a 24 bit color bitmap, then import that bitmap into the TE and it will read it and make the appropriate height elevation alterations on your terrain.

Email me (through this bbs) if you need a walk-through of how to do this :).

Cheers,
« Last Edit: December 23, 2003, 11:50:31 PM by detch01 »
asw

Offline zmeg

• Silver Member
Inserting Btmp's
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2003, 11:45:42 PM »
Open the map.bmp in paint and save as 256 color bmp.

When you import a elv bmp it must be 1024 x1024, it will cover 512 X 512 miles regardless of the size of your map. max black will be zero and max white will be whatever you set max elv to when you import it (default is 20000) make sure its saved as greyscale or you will get waves all over the map.

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
Inserting Btmp's
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2003, 11:52:33 PM »
Originally posted by zmeg
When you import a elv bmp it must be 1024 x1024, it will cover 512 X 512 miles regardless of the size of your map. max black will be zero and max white will be whatever you set max elv to when you import it (default is 20000) make sure its saved as greyscale or you will get waves all over the map.

This info is right on the money too. - sorry should have mentioned it in my post. Thx zmeg :)
asw

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Inserting Btmp's
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2003, 03:12:18 AM »
OK thanks, I've got the map on the clipboard now. But could you elaborate on the grayscale bitmap to set elevations?

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
Inserting Btmp's
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2003, 11:22:54 AM »
Here's what the TE Help file says:

"Importing and Exporting Bitmaps

Terrain elevation bitmaps may be imported to and exported from the Aces High Terrain Editor.  With the exported bitmap, you can use Paint to set the elevations for the terrain.

To export a terrain bitmap, click File->Export.  Select or enter a filename for the exported bitmap, and select the maximum elevation.  Click Okay, and the terrain will export to your ../HTC/aheditor folder with the .bmp filename you chose.  

To import a bitmap, click File->Import.  Select the bitmap you wish to import, select the maximum elevation, and click Okay."

Here's an example (reduced in size to 380x380 and converted to jpeg format) of what these bmp files look like. This file is for a 512x512 size terrain I use to experiment with.

The easiest way to get the correct format is to use the export function (above) then modify the graphic produced by that in whatever graphics application you have. Just remember to save your file at 1024x1024 size, in 24 bit colour. If your terrain is smaller than 512x512miles, use the export function to see the actual size of your terrain on the 1024x1024 graphic.

Cheers,
asw

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Inserting Btmp's
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2003, 05:44:48 PM »
When I export it and open it on a paint program the entire thing is black. When it asks for max elevation that is what the highest elevation on the map will be right?

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
Inserting Btmp's
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2003, 06:08:29 PM »
Exactly. This should give you a grayscale file, provided your terrain isn't all at sea level.

Cheers,
asw

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Inserting Btmp's
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2003, 07:10:42 PM »
I cant say that I know what Im suppose to do now? Do I raise the elevations so gray shows up, then on the paint program just add lighter shades of gray where I want the terrain elevated? Then when I import it it will raise it on the actual terrain?

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
Inserting Btmp's
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2003, 07:14:15 PM »
Originally posted by Raptor01
I cant say that I know what Im suppose to do now? Do I raise the elevations so gray shows up, then on the paint program just add lighter shades of gray where I want the terrain elevated? Then when I import it it will raise it on the actual terrain?

Yes, exactly :). I find it a lot easier to make large changes to my terrains using this method. For the smaller details I work vertex by vertex right in the TE.

Cheers and Merry Christmas :)
asw