Author Topic: How to get a high rank  (Read 26612 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2003, 07:58:40 AM »
I think he is explaining why most of us are unimpressed by rank.

tw9... you are getting it?   glad to have you on board.. sorry I wouldn't reveal where the fur was to you last nite... thought you were still "one orf them".  

I think a lot of the new guys are starting to get it.   I think Festers map makes it obvious what is important skill wise.

lazs

Offline T1loady

• Copper Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2003, 08:29:40 AM »
You know this whole score thing is cool, I can see how I doing and what i need to work on.   But what I live for it..

System: SkipNutz Landed 15 victories in a Typhoon of the Wild Aces..

Isnt that what matters, not what you score is.  Rod thanks for the post. I was wondering how guys that I have shot down several times always seem to have a better score than me. Now shut up and lets go take a base...

SkipNutz

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2003, 09:31:52 AM »
Nopoop this was a 2 hr conversation on channel 1, Most of these things were mentioned. However This game is for GV'ers, pt drivers, bombers, jabo's, and fighters. Maybe I reading you wrong but it seems to me you want everyone to play your way only fighter furball.

Most good pilots here owe the jabo's and gvs thier hi rank as fighter pilot. Most good pilots like to go where gv'ers getting killed or where jabo's hitting a field because defenders are low.

We will get more players to be here if game is for everyone not just those who like to fly fighter. Telling how they can get a high rank may give them enjoyment of game. Maybe not your cup of tea but this game is for all types.

Its Like in main people saying la7, nik and spits are dweeb planes. Because its said so much by a few people many think its gospel. I for 1 could careless how others fly or what they fly as long as they respect others .

I for 1 never suicide cv's not because others say its gaming game( which its not) but because its more challenge to do it from 8 k and live to me. The reason I say its not gameing the game , is because in ww2 there are many men who gave thier lives diveing a fighter or bomber into a target giving thier live to save others.

I think  wait I know this game was built to reach players of all types GV, Bomber, PT, jabo's, base takers and fighters. I for one enjoy all aspects of game. May it be going 30k to a HQ or noe to a hq, Sinking CV to save countries base, Killing gv's (this gives me most fun ), killing bombers (Which alot of high ranking players will not try if they b26's or 17's) or just hitting strats.

Helping players who want a higher rank. Is the same as helping them learn to have better acm's. I've taught many here how to use bombers and bomb from any alt. Taught some acm's ( not as much as shane has) but have always been free with info and tactics to me this is the right thing to do. most guys with high ranks already know these things. And do them Think I'm wrong nopoop go look at any high rank players stats. No one can be high rank with out as you say gameing game. now you can rank high in one but not in all.

This game is not a fighter sim only, and is for enjoyment of all. not minority.

p.s ak-ak  your right on who but wrong that you can't do it now. you can just has to be a enemy target.

But let me say this again Going for rank is the way to boredom and stress, Play have fun any way you want to play.

I don't care if you want to only HO, Suicide, gv only bomb only do what you want to have fun forget what a few others might say to you.  JUST HAVE FUN  ITS A GAME.

puts soap box down takes less meds. cya

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2003, 09:48:44 AM »
I for 1 never suicide cv's not because others say its gaming game( which its not) but because its more challenge to do it from 8 k and live to me. The reason I say its not gameing the game , is because in ww2 there are many men who gave thier lives diveing a fighter or bomber into a target giving thier live to save others.

Yea but they didnt end up in a tower selecting another plane.to go back and doi it again.Thats the issue with most.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2003, 10:10:10 AM »
the real rank is in the DA and it is unposted ..
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline 1K0N

• Nickel Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2003, 10:19:48 AM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
Do a search of the message boards for Voss and you'll find out why we hold him such disregard.

ack-ack

Nooooooo....dont go there, just move on and dont ask......
 let the issue die, every year it gets drug bag into the spot light
and creates nothing but ill will on the bbs, which there is enough of already...
 No one has ever dug up anything but inuendo even from the news groups at Bigdweeb...

So my children flying AH in a few years dont have to here the same story...LOL

IKON

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2003, 10:27:39 AM »
I thought Rod's post was excellent.

I did this "whoring" for one tour and got as low as #10 and it was the most boring and BS tour that I have flown to date. Also, at the rank of 10, there had to be 10 times that many guys who would/could kick my prettythang in a New York second. It is something that I will never do again.

SlapShot Hint : What I did instead of flying a bomber, cause I suck in them, I used the JU-87 and switched the sorties from "attack" to "bomber".

Rod's post exposes how completely rediculous "rank" is in this game. "Rank" in its current incarnation is nothing but a fraud.

Last night some noob on channel 1 was telling USGrim to STFU cause he didn't know what he was talking about ... "with a rank like yours ... blah blah blah". USGrim would hand this guys his prettythang on a platter, but because USGrim had a rank in the 3000s, he was assumed to be easy.

Anybody who connects "rank" to being "good " is nothing but a dolt.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2003, 10:41:08 AM »
drdea  true but its same for fighter pilots if you only had 1 life per tour this game would be empty. ITS A GAME Not real life.

And when I say game I should know I lost my 2 older brothers in viet nam & 2 cousins. brothers were airforce pilots Richard  shot down in 67 and william 69. Real life war SUCKS this is for enjoyment , Hitech does great putting on real life LIKE fights in other arenas like the  BATTLE of RURR. where your lifes are on the line in this GAME.  

take out suicides might as well stop vulchies from taking off. but then your taking away these folks right to play thier way. Some guys like trying to defend base and kill vulchers. Its there right to try and we should defend thier right to play thier way.

The only thing that disapoints me in here is when on channel 1 when a player will joke about abusing a woman, rapeing children more do not speak out on channel 1. This is the thing that should be chk by all newbies come in see this kinda of talk and repeat it over and over.

Example is Dlamb here is young kid no father, comes in seeing everyone trash talk call names swears, You all get pissed at him when he is just acting like some vetrans do on channel 1.  That is why when someone makes a comment about hurting woman or children all should stand and tell them this is not acceptable.

My Daughter use to love to fly in sims, But we decided it wasn't working as when some guys found out she was a young woman the sexual comments started coming in private messages,and when she killed them she got some of the things that happens to USGIRL in here. thats what concerns me not those who Hop bomb strats or play thier way.

okay so I forgot to put soap box away. I will kid with friend s on channel1  but I do same thing with skuzzy. If you can't say it when hitech or skuzzy in game then don't say it on channel1.

It 's like yesturday guy gets killed by shane, he has to call shanes entire familly ( mom gets it most it seems) names. When in fact shane would take him to da train him to have a better chance of killing shane 1 on 1. But this person decides to say i can kill you anytime if you didn't cheat and I kill you all the time.

PS GUYS we all can check your scores, we can tell planes you fly and can check kills against any player. so many call la7 a dweeb plane you go check thier scores and you'll see they fly it. Now that cracks me up And I enjoyed proveing that they fly plane to.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
How to get a high rank
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2003, 11:55:23 AM »
When I came to AH, I was very impressed with the scoring system.  A cumulative system is heavily weighted toward players with the most time on their hands.  With AH's system, productivity rates balance out accumulating points.

What I did not see from critics was an explaination where the gamey parts of fighter and attack columbs verses enemy.  Lazer said fly high like a sissy.  Kills per time online stat tends to negate that tactic.  Likewise there are counter-balances for other tactics that would try to take advantage of a particular stat.

My point is, since no one else has pointed it out, the AH scoring systme is pretty darn ingenious.  Any system can be gamed.  The vs objects can be gamed, but only if the enemy allows you to.

I dont fly for rank.  I fly for racking up as many kills as I can in a flight, and hopefully returning to base.  As an afterthought, for a change of pace, I may actually do a sortie or 2 to work on stats I tend to ignore once in awhile.

I find it funny how some people who dont feel like covering every peformance metric of the game wish to rationalize and disseminate a disrespect of the system, and those that do.  If the metrics cover more than you are interested in, it is wrong, it is a fraud, and everyone who has a broader intrest than you is just gamey.  Too funny  :)

ps. shouldnt the thread be How to get a low rank?;)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2003, 12:18:07 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Anybody who connects "rank" to being "good " is nothing but a dolt.

So very true, and we have a significant amount of "dolts" who believe it too. In fact, if we steam rolled all of the dolts flat, we'd have enough material to pave the Alaskan Highway.....

At least once a week I shoot down some guy and he promptly types "Lucky shot". Naturally, I invite him to return and see how much luck had to do with it. Of course, they never do. But, they will check scores via the clipboard and say something akin to; "I have a much better rank than you do", as if that had any bearing on the fact that they absolutely suck at air to air fighting. Rather amazing, isn't it?

I've long since learned to respect players for their obvious skills, not their ranking, or even their K/D. I also respect guys who aren't very good, but actually make an effort to learn. I respect any guy who fights regardless of whether he was a challenge or not. The guys who I have little regard for are the "gamers" who flee at the prospect of a fair fight, who prefer to "strat" undefended fields, or suicide bases or CVs without the slightest intention of fighting or even surviving.

But, that's my opinion and I could be wrong...  ;)

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
How to get a high rank
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2003, 01:07:06 PM »
I tried that score whoring once ... got up in the double digits ..
Talk about stress ... (only to mess up the last day or 2 of the tour)

I myself play the game to have fun and relax ..
if i want to Blow up stuff i will , if i feel like killing gv's well i go have at them , secret hq raids now and then shure . a few killer goon runs right on., getting traped in a mass furball blasting everything in site way cool .

If i get shot down to many times by someone I go grab my Spitoon and get even.

that " oh my score is better then your score " well it doesnt mean much to me ... Its the guys/gals ive Fought 1 vs 1 in that white nuckle type dogfight i like the best .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2003, 01:13:43 PM »
Originally posted by rod367th
Maybe I reading you wrong but it seems to me you want everyone to play your way only fighter furball.

Telling how they can get a high rank may give them enjoyment of game. Maybe not your cup of tea but this game is for all types.

Helping players who want a higher rank. Is the same as helping them learn to have better acm's.

I want people to interact, whether it be in fighters, bombers or jabo. The "list" is not interaction, it's gaming. You could spend a day working the list and never see another soul. Let's put up pizza on the first day of the new tour and have the hundred or so that printed it out the list "work" on their stats..

Helping a player to learn how to game the game for stats is in no way the same as teaching acm. It's not the same as teaching how to jabo, to bomb, to drive a PT boat.

To think so, while being noble is foolish.

Increasing the crop of gamers does nothing but take from the game.

BTW I think the scoring system is quite good. I use it all the time. I know how I fly, and have those things that I personally keep track of from tour to tour.

Where it becomes a problem is where it becomes not a resource but a goal.

That's what your list does for the new guy fresh young and green.

At the expense of interaction.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
How to get a high rank
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2003, 01:39:43 PM »
Originally posted by nopoop
Helping a player to learn how to game the game for stats is in no way the same as teaching acm. It's not the same as teaching how to jabo, to bomb, to drive a PT boat.

To think so, while being noble is foolish.

Increasing the crop of gamers does nothing but take from the game.

I tend to agree with this by the way.  If there was an order to a list of goals to achieve in AH, I would think rank would be near the end.  Bypassing fundamentals with shortcuts doesnt help anyone.  That said, Ive often passed along similar tips to players that have the fundamentals and want to improve on new goals.  Must be why I thought it seemed out of place here.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2003, 01:48:10 PM »
Where it becomes a problem is where it becomes not a resource but a goal.

Succinct... eminently correct.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2003, 04:04:09 PM »
Nopoop please expalain why you think others have to play your way?

Some guys like just bombing some jabo some fighter some want to go for low rank. Its was discussed on channel 1 that rank doesn't mean how good of a stick you are. they asked what do you mean. This list shows them how if they want to go for rank. I could careless if guy goes for rank if that is what makes him happy. Sorry i think your thinking of the minority here who want every to play theier rules.

I've had many ask how to get rank lower. I've helped. had many ask how to bomb and have taught 100's how to. Had people want to learn to fly fighter help them then.  this game is for all to enjoy no matter what or how they want to fly. If giving them the tips on how to get lower rank bothers you. You really need to reevalulate your life. They are not here for your enjoyment but here for thier own reasons and if haveing a lower rank keeps them here and happy i'll help.