Author Topic: Eat me Farrari  (Read 3378 times)

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2004, 11:48:48 AM »
Originally posted by Saurdaukar
ROFL!!  So now youre telling me Im a ricer eh?
I didn't call you a rice.  I pointed out that your analogy likened a GT40 to a ricer.  I called you an elitist arian snob... just as bad as the bavarian crowd.

MiniD

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2004, 11:58:53 AM »
Bang per bucks ratio is good with Ford GT but that's about it.

For Gods sake it's FORD !!!

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2004, 12:04:49 PM »
Car and Driver it was - have it right in front of me here... lemme see what it says...

GT vs. 360 CS vs. 996 GT3

Short version:

3rd:  911 GT3
2nd:  360 CS
1st:  GT

Long version:

Porsche 911 GT3
$101,965
3219 lbs
3.6L NA H6
380 HP @ 7400
284 lbs/ft @ 5000
0-60: 4.0 Sec
1/4 mi: 12.3 @ 114MPH
Top speed: 190 MPH
Skidpad: 1.03 G's

Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale
$193,324
3152 lbs
3.6L NA V8
425 HP @ 8500
274 lbs/ft @ 4750
0-60: 4.0 Sec
1/4 mi:  12.4 @ 115MPH
Top Speed:  176 MPH
Skidpad:  .98 G's

Ford GT
$150,000
3429 lbs
5.4L SC V8
500 HP @ 6000
500 lbs/ft @ 4500
0-60 MPH: 3.3 Sec
1/4 mi:  11.6 @ 128 MPH
Top Speed:  200 MPH
Skidpad:  .98 G's

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2004, 12:07:25 PM »
Originally posted by Mini D
I didn't call you a rice.  I pointed out that your analogy likened a GT40 to a ricer.  I called you an elitist arian snob... just as bad as the bavarian crowd.

MiniD

Im a snob why?  Because I am able to recognize the difference between a sports car and an economy car?

I cant help where they are built.  If Honda made rear engined track cars and Porsche build bland sedans that always ran, Id be a Honda fan.

Would that make me some sort of asain empire sympathiser?

Nakhui

Eat me Farrari
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2004, 12:17:22 PM »
No one can come up with good insults today.  What is it with you people?

The smaller the noodle, the faster the car will go..

FORD - Fix often repair daily.

American's just don't build performance cars worth a crap

Offline TPIguy

• Copper Member
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2004, 12:37:24 PM »
American's just don't build performance cars worth a crap

Yup, just look how bad they did in last year's one lap of america.

1     2 chev             MTI  Z-07        SSGT1            6590
         Ronald Adee, John Myrick
 2     4 Chevy            Corvette Z06     SSGT1            6525
         John Boos, Ronald Marks
 3     1 Dodge            Viper            SSGT1            6515
         David Zelkowski, Brian Smith
 4     3 RUF              RGT              SSGT1            6415
         Gary Church, Paul Gerrard
 5     8 Porsche          996 Twin Turbo   SSGT1            6380
         Mark DaVia, Chuck Veth

6     5 Toyota           Supra Turbo      SSGT1            5945
         Andi Baritchi, Clint Pohler
 7    20 CHEVROLET        CORVETTE ZR1     SSGT1            5665
         Scott Ahlgrim, Steve Ahlgrim
 8    52 Dodge            SRT-4            MidPri Sed       5595
         Cory O`Brien, Erich Heuschele
 9    10 Lamborghini      Diablo           SSGT1            5545
         Karl H. Troy, Mike Appleby
10    50 Audi             S-4              Luxury Sed       5315
         Norman Babcock, Michael Babcock

hell a freakin NEON beat a DIABLO.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2004, 12:45:53 PM »
Saur,

The GT40 will kick the Ferrari's ass... that is my belief and is what I stated.  Your belief is "yeah, maybe, but it still isn't a ferrari".  That is where elitist comes from.

Also, if you believe that your porsche derives any extra quality or consideration because of it's name then you're simply lost.  I've not seen many 10 year old porsches that were daily drivers that stood the test of wear and tear... especially in all the areas that make a car special.  Raw horsepower delivered directly to the wheels has always been their strong point... combined with light weight aluminum.  Once a car starts beating you in the weight and horsepower regime... you really don't have much to hold onto unless the handling is a notch above the norm (AWD or upgrad RWD).  I don't think any of the FWD ricers will do in a Turbo Porsche, but I do think there are quite a few AWD ricers that can... and will beat the Porsche in virtually every other tangible aspect... leaving the Porsche owner with nothing but a balding head and an out of date leather jacket.

MiniD

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2004, 12:59:04 PM »

MiniD

Damn, checked in the mirror lately? You own a BMW product...

You're better tasked debating with dancers...:rolleyes:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 01:10:58 PM by Ripsnort »

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2004, 12:59:41 PM »
reckon a TVR  T440R would give it a run for its money.   Basic price for the T440R is £69,995 (Cheaper than the GT40 too)

here

I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Furrball YIKES
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2004, 01:20:23 PM »
That thing is so smurfy I can not stand to look at it... OMG remove the pick... it looks like they used some kind of insect as inspiration.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2004, 01:26:53 PM »
Saur,

The GT40 will kick the Ferrari's ass... that is my belief and is what I stated.  Your belief is "yeah, maybe, but it still isn't a ferrari".  That is where elitist comes from.

Also, if you believe that your porsche derives any extra quality or consideration because of it's name then you're simply lost.  I've not seen many 10 year old porsches that were daily drivers that stood the test of wear and tear... especially in all the areas that make a car special.  Raw horsepower delivered directly to the wheels has always been their strong point... combined with light weight aluminum.  Once a car starts beating you in the weight and horsepower regime... you really don't have much to hold onto unless the handling is a notch above the norm (AWD or upgrad RWD).  I don't think any of the FWD ricers will do in a Turbo Porsche, but I do think there are quite a few AWD ricers that can... and will beat the Porsche in virtually every other tangible aspect... leaving the Porsche owner with nothing but a balding head and an out of date leather jacket.

MiniD

Mini,

So basically what your saying is that Im a snob because I would rather have the Ferrari over the Ford or the Porsche over the Honda based simply on name recognition?

I understand your confusion then.

My preferences in cars are a result of experience.  Sure there are cars that accelerate faster, brake harder, and corner better, but they dont offer that 'somthing' that a 911 offers.  You cant quite put your finger on it - and it would be impossible to describe it to a non-owner.

Basically, name recognition is not the reason I would rather own the Ferrari - Id rather own the Ferrari because of those Ive driven, they leave me speachless - the same reason the word Ferrari is recognizable in the first place.

Your two remarks concerning Porsche cars leave me wondering about your actual knowledge base outside of magazine racing.

911's are well known for their reliability.  Forget 10 years, the 911 SC's of the late 70's and early 80's are famous for their engine life - there are cars out there from this vintage with 400,000+ miles on the engine with nothing more than oil changes on the bills.

The second comment about Porsche's strongpoint being 'raw horsepower at the rear wheels' is further confusing.  Porsche has never been, and will never be well known for powerful engines.

The racing history of the 911 is not unlike the Elise - a small, cheap, underpowered car that would run circles around the big boys from Italy and Britain for 1/4 the price.  This can be seen to a lesser extent in the road test above when compared to the 360CS and the GT.  On paper, the GT3 'should' be slower than the 360CS in almost all aspects - but its not.  It records almost identicle times - and even beats the 360CS around the circut tested by almost 1/2 a seconds - and all for a little over 50% of the F-car's price.

Porsche is well known for a varity of things - but for me - the draw is the feeling coming out of the apex - there is nothing else like it and try as I might, I have yet to find another car that duplicates the connection between the car and the driver.

Thankfully I havent started to suffer from thining hair yet and I dont have a jacket, but even you, I would have assumed, would think better of arguing with an owner about his own automobile with such a limited knowledge and experience base.

:aok

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2004, 01:29:41 PM »
Snob is not what you'd rather have saur... it's looking down on what others have because you believe name is all that matters.

Remember... you brought it up.  Those damn ricers... no matter how good the car they'll never have the porsche shield on it!  It's funny considering the porsche shield's only real contribution is to the car is additional drag.

MiniD

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2004, 01:30:35 PM »

911's are well known for their reliability.  Forget 10 years, the 911 SC's of the late 70's and early 80's are famous for their engine life - there are cars out there from this vintage with 400,000+ miles on the engine with nothing more than oil changes on the bills.

[/B]

Plus if you drive em in a lake they float. Do you have flowers on yours the way Herpes the Love Bug did?

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2004, 01:31:46 PM »
PS... I said nothing about engine life Saur.  From what I've seen of Porsches, the interiors age worse than most other cars out there... from seats cracking and breaking down to dashboards cracking and falling apart.  Like I said... the engine and lightweight is all they have going for them... oh... and the badge.

MiniD

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2004, 01:40:13 PM »
Snob is not what you'd rather have saur... it's looking down on what others have because you believe name is all that matters.

Remember... you brought it up.  Those damn ricers... no matter how good the car they'll never have the porsche shield on it!  It's funny considering the porsche shield's only real contribution is to the car is additional drag.

MiniD

"Name is all that matters."  Mini... read my post again.  You are the one that made the name recognition argument - not me - and Ive addressed it.

My comment about the Ferrari badge is half taken as a joke, but if youre that bored at the office that you need to nitpick the motivation for statements, then more power to you - I only hope I can continue to serve to make your life that much more fufilling than it already is.

In any event MiniD, keeping in mind such profound statements as those quoted above regarding seats, dashboards, and hood badges, exactly what knowledge base are you pulling all of this informaiton from?  The road?  The track?  Or Road & Track?  

I only ask because I find your comments overshadowed in humor only by the fact that you stand by them as if they were written by one of the Apostles.