Author Topic: School Ground Antics?  (Read 1567 times)

Offline ygsmilo

• Silver Member
School Ground Antics?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2001, 05:33:00 PM »
I went to the Warbirds Museum in Kissimmee last year and did some flying in the T-6s that Warbird Adventures offer.  They were flying the museums B-25 that day, and we did a little flying with it.

Lots of fun, take the opportunity to go if you have the time.

------------------
Milo
"Preceive those things which cannot be seen."

Offline Thirdup

• Zinc Member
School Ground Antics?
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2001, 06:31:00 PM »
Bodhi,
I was out there last month with a few buddies on holiday.  Had a great time at the Flying Tigers Warbird Museum.  Was a very informative tour and I was amazed we were led right thru the restorations like that (that B17 is shaping up nicely). So, which one of the fellas was you ?  

All I can say is that if anyone is headed out that way, to be sure and take it in.  Fantasy of Flight was also worthy, as was collection of memorabilia at the Valiant Warbirds Museum  near the Cape.

3rdUp

Offline Hobodog

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.military.com
School Ground Antics?
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2001, 06:48:00 PM »
Rip tell me you didnt just post almost 50 post in one day. DONT YA HAVE SOMETING BETTER TO DO! Like play AH!

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
School Ground Antics?
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2001, 10:04:00 AM »
Amazing, simply Amazing!
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
School Ground Antics?
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2001, 10:23:00 AM »
Can't play AH at work, or I'd have 50 flights in that same day!  

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
School Ground Antics?
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2001, 10:46:00 AM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:
Can't play AH at work, or I'd have 50 flights in that same day!  

I feel your pain, Rip, same thing here.  The ole P-133 laptop isnt up to it, and I suppose it would be bad to assist customers on the phone with 50 cal's and the drone of the B-17's engine blaring in the background....

Picky, picky, eh?

------------------
Paul J. Busiere

Aces High Arena handle:  BD5Pilot
 http://bd5.checksix.net
BD-5 "T" (TurboProp) 90% complete, first flight in 2001 (We hope!)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
School Ground Antics?
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2001, 10:58:00 AM »
Bodhi,

I know exactly what you mean about books and people.

My latest example is this, I am trying to find out how much ammunition was carried by the Mosquito FB.VI for each gun.  You'd think this would be simple, but no, I have received the following ammo counts from sources of varying reliability:

1) 300 rounds for each of the 4 Hispano 20mm cannon and 2,000 rounds for each of the 4 .303 machine gun.  From one of my books.

2) 250 rounds for each of the 4 Hispano 20mm cannon and 1,000 rounds for each of the 4 .303 machine gun.  From another one of my books.

3) 150 rounds for each of the 4 Hispano 20mm cannon and 750 rounds for each of the 4 .303 machine gun.  From WarBirds 2.77.

4) 150 rounds for each of the 4 Hispano 20mm cannon and 500 rounds for each of the 4 .303 machine gun.  From an Australian AH member's book on the Australian version of the Mosquito FB.VI.

The general consensus on the BBS and on the SimHQ EAW BBS and NightBomber BBS is that option 1 is correct, but I don't know.  At this point I am e-mailing RAF museums in an attempt to find out the real numbers.

Do you have any idea where I could get this info?

BTW, I am admitting I don't know and showing proper doubt of my sources.  Not all of us claim to know all of this stuff, but I am pretty sure I know the ammo loads on Spitfires.

------------------
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Bring the Mosquito FB.MkVI Series 2 to Aces High!!!

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Troll

• Zinc Member
School Ground Antics?
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2001, 12:09:00 PM »

Originally posted by Karnak:

I know exactly what you mean about books and people.

My latest example is this, I am trying to find out how much ammunition was carried by the Mosquito FB.VI for each gun.  You'd think this would be simple, but no, I have received the following ammo counts from sources of varying reliability:

One thing I have seemed to gather in my readings is that some, none or all of these figures might be correct for the specific airframe/ground crewman/pilot that was researched (or copied)

Offline EDO43

• Copper Member
School Ground Antics?
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2001, 12:43:00 PM »
I agree with Bodhi's original post.  Conflicting sources are a real b*tch, and cyber aviation experts abound in the AH community.  Having been formally schooled in research, both historical and legal, I recommend that before anyone preaches the gospel according to (insert author here),check, evaluate and weigh your source(s). Simply taking Joe "Aviation" Authors word for it is irresponsible and will irrepairably label you an uninformed amatuer if proven wrong.  Personally, I try to only use proven, reputable sources (both primary and secondary) for my research and even at those I sometimes cast a skeptical eye.  I don't want the first book I publish to be looked on as an poorly researched and documented POS. If you present me with a piece of information, be prepared for me to ask where you got it, with the authors name,publisher, page numbers, I'll ask if I can have access to it if controlled, etc. I will then do what I suggested above...evaluate and weigh the source and then either substaniate it or refute it and then I can tell you if I concur or if not, why not.  

I must admit however I do get caught up in some of those ridiculous Ch. 1 discussions regarding various airplanes.  Sometimes I have a source nearby to refer to, but sometimes I do not.  I am relying on my memory in those cases, a thing I should not do.  I do apologize as I know better.  Sometimes I see people argue information that is blatently wrong.  I don't think I will ever enter a discussion on "flight characteristics" of any plane because never having flown one under similiar circumstances, I couldn't make and informed and accurate comment.  Being a licensed pilot in general does not qualify either.  Unless you fly the plane in question regularly, under similiar circumstances you can't either.  All planes are engineered, maintained and fly differently.  Sure the basics are similiar but the quirks are what'll kill you if you don't know.
I work in the charter aviation industry as an A&P mechanic, quality control, and I help maintain the vast number of manuals that are required to keep these airplanes in the air.  As Bodhi can testify to, having outdated and inaccurate information can be unsafe, illegal, and if warranted, criminal.

In this forum, I have seen some very good information for reinforcing cases posted in various topics; kudos to those of you who go the extra mile to get accurate information.  While I cannot be considered an expert by any means in my research area, I am working on achieving that status, so if you must, fire away.
Mawey -a-  tsmukan

SeaWulfe

School Ground Antics?
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2001, 01:14:00 PM »
Wait a second... I thought learning something new involved making mistakes????
-SW

Offline iculus

• Copper Member
School Ground Antics?
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2001, 01:28:00 PM »
Initial post:  Right on!!  

Salute,
IC

BTW, I made it to Kissimee in December.  The museum is great.  That was the first time I had seen WWII vintage AC.  I remember walking in the hanger seeing a FW190.  Not to mention seeing the ball turret in the shop (B-17 is easily my favorite plane ever.)

Also flew at Warbid Adventures.  The T-6 is wonderful.

Thanks, IC

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
School Ground Antics?
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2001, 01:25:00 AM »
Another perfect example of this flagrant hypocrisy, is this character Wisk.  He was on CH1 tonight going on about how the IL-2 was so poorly flight modeled (as if he had ever flown one) he then continued to blabber on about how the competition was going to have to do it better.  Now this is what really got me.  When countered as to how he knew so much about the IL-2 without having ever flown it, or been near one, he says, "I am an engineer, so I know how things fly."  It is that flippant attitude that I feel ruins the community.  My personal bet, is that he is some engineering student trying to look like a big man.  Either way, hopefully he gets rid of that ego before he kills someone with it.

SwampRat

School Ground Antics?
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2001, 04:41:00 AM »
Gotta admit, Bohdi's got a point.  Way to many self-appointed know-it-all's around here.  At the end of the day...this is a game and there is NO real life happening in AH..although HTC does a dang good job of trying.

Swamp

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
School Ground Antics?
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2001, 10:57:00 AM »
Bravo, excellent thread on need to be healthily skeptical of all information no matter what the source. Even sources with the best data and intentions can make errors which are then compounded through the years.  

I like the saying "Truth is not so much arrived at as it is surrounded."  
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
School Ground Antics?
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2001, 12:05:00 PM »
Now hopefully, the rest of the arm chair generals will arrive at the same conclusion, but I seriously doubt it.