Author Topic: Carrier Landings  (Read 1721 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Carrier Landings
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2004, 06:17:12 PM »
I have found the best way to land on a cv is to come in on approach from the left in a gentle decsending  turn so you keep the deck /cv in sight by looking out your left or forward left view, as you get near the tail of the cv you should be straight inline with the deck and couple hundred feet above it, a notch or 2 of flaps down and right as you cross the tail of the deck you want to chop throttle to zero and flare it, to get a good 3 point landing.  speed should be right at 120 to 100 mph and to flare, I mean to pull back on stick gently as if you was trying to stall it, and she will drop and set down perfectly with hopefully a 3 wire!  becomes second nature if you practice this for a week or 2. If you can get to where you land consecutively 6 or 7 times you got it down good!  be sure to kill engine or hold brakes down after catching wire so you don't roll off end of the carrier going backwards or roll forward and not be able to rearm and take off again.:aok
« Last Edit: February 08, 2004, 06:26:07 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
Carrier Landings
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2004, 10:37:54 PM »
ifound easiest plane to land on carrier is b17s or 234's they stop no need for cables.

Offline GooseAW

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.chawks.com
Carrier Landings
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2004, 08:34:46 AM »
Clarification....I wouldn't kill the engine on Carrier landings..:aok

Offline Spitter

• Copper Member
Carrier Landings
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2004, 03:25:23 PM »
Thanks for all the advice, I flew around the default offline map for about an hour and a half last night, never found a carrier.  

Managed to take my frustration out on a couple of drones though....that Yankee guy goes down!!  ermm...hehe.  

I'll download some other maps tonight.  

Cheers,
Spitter

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
Carrier Landings
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2004, 04:53:06 PM »
Spitter,
  You shouldn't have to fly around looking for a CV, you can simply open the clipboard and look at the map.  You can click and drag the map to expose other areas around you.  You can also click on the +/- buttons to zoom the map in and out (one mouse button enlarges/shrinks the entire clipboard, the other zooms the map).  Just look for what appears to be an airfield in the water, that's a CV group.  They are also named differently than normal fields, they start with a C prefix to the number (eg. C8 or C123).

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Carrier Landings
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2004, 05:00:14 PM »
Originally posted by Spitter
....that Yankee guy goes down!!  ermm...hehe.  
Cheers,
Spitter

Just a lil more Advice, that Yankee is a female ;) and she works for hitech creations

er correction Yankee is a female sim pilot who works for HTC, that offline drone just named after her.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 05:02:58 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Spitter

• Copper Member
Carrier Landings
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2004, 08:24:14 PM »
Just a lil more Advice, that Yankee is a female  and she works for hitech creations

er correction Yankee is a female sim pilot who works for HTC, that offline drone just named after her.

I had guessed the names of the drones were named after HT folks.  I guess 'goes down' was not the choice phrase to use eh?  :o

SO if I get vulched, I will know why..hehe.  

Cheers,
Spitter

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Carrier Landings
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2004, 01:53:29 AM »
On the default map , the Bish CV is C8. You can move there, or any friendly field/cv/base, using the dot command move.

/.move 8      [ one / to open text buffer, although dot commands work on any channel, a single . to signify it's a command, then the command, followed by the setting you want in that command.]

This command is very useful on the large maps where its tough to find a specific field.
To find fields easier, when you bring up the radarmap with ESCape, make sure the two icons above the left side of the map are highlighted, the 'i' and '#' buttons. IT brings up field numbers and icons to show the size of the various fields.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline kj714

• Silver Member
Carrier Landings
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2004, 03:35:51 PM »
when you practice taking off from the carrier, learn how to back the plane up for more takeoff length. In F4U1d, hit H for takeoff, make sure engine is throttled all the way back , full flaps down, hold space bar (brake) down. throttle engine up a tiny bit and release brake, in a few seconds you should start to move slowly backwards. Use your rear view to watch where you are going, work rudder to steer. Keep the plane kinda straight. Stop when you get near end of carrier. Up flaps a notch or two, full power WEP and you will have no problem taking off with heavy planes.

Offline Spitter

• Copper Member
Carrier Landings
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2004, 09:46:20 AM »
Haven't had any problems taking off.  Even with the avenger and a full torpedo load.  It's a dog, but I get airborne.  
Landing I think I finally got. Got to where I nailed a 3-4 wire 5 times in a row, used the F6F, and the Avenger.  
I think I'm ready to sign up and try goin online for the first time this weekend!  Hopefully, I'll be a bit more challenging for you guys than the drones.  :)

Cheers,
Spitter.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Carrier Landings
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2004, 07:10:46 AM »
alt of cv is 70 feet.  make your alt 100.  easy.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Carrier Landings
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2004, 06:05:57 PM »
when your looking at the map its the Insert/deleate keys that zoom it in or out.........

you can mouse grab the map to and move it around (once its zoomed )

www.netaces.org

has a one page printable .pdf file with the keyboard and basic "dot" commands .

Spitter If your in the online arena's this week I'm ussually in the Training Arena on sundays and wensday's around 4 to 5 pm pacific time. just give me a yell and i'll help ya out. (I Fly as Roscoro )
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
Carrier Landings
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2004, 04:59:32 AM »
Hellcat....Nearly the best dang plane in the Game IMVHO

glad you said nearly.  :D  of course being a submariner myself, i think of carriers as targets, not a place to land.  :D
~S~
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline sonar732

• Copper Member
Carrier Landings
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2004, 02:19:58 PM »
Originally posted by killnu
glad you said nearly.  :D  of course being a submariner myself, i think of carriers as targets, not a place to land.  :D
~S~

Killnu,

What have you served on?  I am a former sonar technician aboard the USS ALASKA SSBN 732 Blue Crew.

Offline Gremlin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.webtreatz.com/tod/lognew.html
Carrier Landings
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2004, 10:28:52 AM »
My own favoured method of cv landings is as follows;

I approach from astern about 1000ft ASL, I start to bleed speed until I come to point where the carrier starts to dissapear under my nose.  At that point I raise my head as high as it goes to give best visibility and enter the glide path using throttle only to maintain the correct nose pitch.  You know when you are on the correct glide path when you can just see the tower.  If you cant see the tower, your too shallow, if you can see the deck your too steep.  A this point I extend full flaps, drop the gear and tail hook.  It is necessary to tinker with the throttle again after dropping all of these surfaces to maintain the correct glide path..  Once you got the correct glidepath you can easy trim out so you should then just allow the plane to pretty much fly itself onto the deck (and it almost will, with just minor input from trim and throttle.  As I see the 1 wire appear below me I chop the throttle (not the engine) and normally end up hooked on the 2 or 3 wire.

ANother lil tip splitter.  Sometimes with a very heavy loadout, it can be hard to take off because your just too heavy and dont have enough deck to gain enough speed.  Heres a trick.  When you are on the deck, raise the throttle just the tiniest bit above idle.  You will start to see your plane roll backwards slowly.  This is because the carrier is normally sailing into the wind and by increasing the throttle you also release the parking brake.  If necessary use rudder to keep your self centered while you roll back.  You can go right back to the first wire if you like then kill the throttle to stop.  This gives you a bit more deck to play with on take off.  Dont drop flaps on takeoff until you are right at the end of the deck.  But be sure to drop em (I normally use 2 or three notches) just before you leave the end of the deck.  On take off raise the gear instantly.  If you do all three of these you can get the heaviest plane off the deck with full fuel and ordanance with nio trouble at all.