Author Topic: What race are the French?  (Read 2747 times)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
What race are the French?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2004, 09:18:00 PM »
Did Canada's Quebec french soldiers surrender more frequently compared to their English origin counterparts during WW2?

Now thats a topic worth discussing.

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2004, 09:28:27 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
Did Canada's Quebec french soldiers surrender more frequently compared to their English origin counterparts during WW2?

Actually if you study the history of both world wars you find that they did one better. They did not enlist. Period. The vast majority of Canada's forces were English speakers and there was a huge debate over conscription and getting the french speaking population to contribute men to the war. Which they did not.

In the end there was limited conscription but any french speaking conscripts were kept out of front line units to appease the french.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2004, 09:38:17 PM »
Originally posted by Habu
Actually if you study the history of both world wars you find that they did one better. They did not enlist. Period. The vast majority of Canada's forces were English speakers and there was a huge debate over conscription and getting the french speaking population to contribute men to the war. Which they did not.

In the end there was limited conscription but any french speaking conscripts were kept out of front line units to appease the french.

WOW!!!!  :eek:

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
Re: What race are the French?
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2004, 09:40:18 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
What race are the French exactly?

Aren't they just Viking bastards? :)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2004, 09:41:44 PM »
Originally posted by AVRO1
What would you do if all the signs in your home town were in a language you do not speak fluently?

An area of Dallas where I spent a few years of my youth now are found many signs in a language I don't speak fluently, Spanish. What do I do? Nada.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2004, 09:44:24 PM »
I just find it humorous the French Canadians accuse Conan of being a racist. So far as I recollect, country/nation/religion/language <> race.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2004, 03:17:39 AM »

I guess the one buried near my hometown are just english speaking Québecois ...

Like some buried at Dieppe ?

In short don't trust him Filip I've just 1 hour drive to make photo. to proove he is wrong.

Offline Engine

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2004, 03:30:17 AM »
He never said none died, just that the majority were assigned to the rear.

Also, I don't belive you, I wanna see you go take a photo to prove it.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2004, 03:57:47 AM »
You want a pict of me taking picts in a military graveyard ?
Nothing difficult.

He never said none died, just that the majority were assigned to the rear.

He would better give some substance to his claim.

I guess the 6th Airborne québcois veteran I've met when I was young was just yet another french speaker assigned to rear position ?

Btw you need to look up the conscription history in Canada to have a better figure of his perception.

There is nothing to do with a lack of courage from french speaking canadian but an outstanding lack of respect for them by the canadian HQ.
It would have been easily solved by creating more "french" regiment but they didn't want to.

look up to the history of the "les Fusiliers Mont-Royal" in Dieppe.
You will soon notice how they fought and died
How strange for a rear-front assigned regiment.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 04:02:17 AM by straffo »

Offline AVRO1

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2004, 06:44:20 AM »
It is not the draconian language laws that can lead to you being fined, put in jail and eventually loseing the business if you refuse to pay the fines for having a sign in English that amaze me, it the reaction of Quebecers like this guy who see nothing wrong with the law.

He would be right at home in Afganistan under the Taliban. The concept of freedom and liberty does not exist in Quebec. There it is make everyone toe the line and make racist laws and it is all ok. As long as it is french.

At least the rest of the world and this NG see how wrong it is.

I never said the law was right now did I?
I've said it went too far, but that went right over your head.
Maybe you should go back to school and learn to read. :rolleyes:

I did not see Triumph and I certainly would not have been insulted by is comments.
Insulting people is what he does for a living.

You don't know squat so shut up or I will report your racist comments.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2004, 07:05:37 AM »

Did Canada's Quebec french soldiers bend over more frequently compared to Croatians during WW2?

Now thats a topic worth... nah... no one provided executive relief more readily than the Croats. Except maybe the Swedes.

Maybe they didn't want to end fighting French collaborator types. Maybe the Free French wanted to liberate France themselves and felt it was another stain on their honour for a bunch of colonials to take part. Who knows. Apart from you, evidently, who can be relied to take the anti-French line in any thread.

I just find it humorous the French Canadians accuse Conan of being a racist. So far as I recollect, country/nation/religion/language <> race.

You're right of course. Bigoted and prejudiced would be more apt words.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline SLO

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2004, 07:49:52 AM »

too far Habu...too far with this insult.

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2004, 08:03:47 AM »
You try to prove a point by saying there were some French that fought and died. Of course there were. However the percentage of the population versus the percentage that enlisted is the statistic that is being discussed here.

Why don't you just do a google search. Type French Canadian conscription world war 2 and see what turns up.

You can argue all you want but the facts are the facts. The french Canadians did not enlist. Just because it makes you mad does not change the facts.

Offline MJHerman

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2004, 08:04:10 AM »

This obviously explains all the battle honours gained by the Van Doos, Les Fusiliers du Mont Royal and other Regiments that had their enlistment sources primarily from Quebec.

The deal with conscription was that ANY conscript could not be sent to the front, unless he volunteered to do so.

But don't let the facts get in your way.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2004, 08:17:07 AM »
You try to prove a point by saying there were some French that fought and died. Of course there were. However the percentage of the population versus the percentage that enlisted is the statistic that is being discussed here.

Great.

Now just provide some source supporting your affirmation.