Author Topic: A world without the US  (Read 7342 times)

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
A world without the US
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2004, 12:58:12 PM »
I don't believe they are separable as you do. If we decide to turn our backs on the world militarily, we certainly do so with the knowledge we cannot protect our interests around the world. In that event we wouldn't have many companies that would care to risk billions of dollars of investment money overseas. We would be loathe to set up trade agreements. We would withdraw.

I'm not against the idea, per se, but realistically I don't think you can withdraw the military and maintain the economic aspects.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
A world without the US
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2004, 12:59:22 PM »
So Capt. Pork, you don't agree with the theory of vice being the global economic linchpin?
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
A world without the US
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2004, 01:01:54 PM »
America's internatrional trading power depends upon it's military power.  If America were to withdraw military, many trading agreements - not only with the US but also other countries - will be held  hostage or null and void.

International affairs come down to the basic statement,' We will smack you if you misbehave'. The smack may be economic or military, but the threat has to be there - otherwise why would the other party agree?

Offline maslo

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
A world without the US
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2004, 01:05:28 PM »
Originally posted by texace
There isn't one country that depends on the US, but we do send money and aid to several countries...

could you name some ?

Offline Capt. Pork

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
A world without the US
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2004, 01:06:07 PM »
Originally posted by Kieran
I don't believe they are separable as you do. If we decide to turn our backs on the world militarily, we certainly do so with the knowledge we cannot protect our interests around the world. In that event we wouldn't have many companies that would care to risk billions of dollars of investment money overseas. We would be loathe to set up trade agreements. We would withdraw.

I'm not against the idea, per se, but realistically I don't think you can withdraw the military and maintain the economic aspects.

I'm not saying they are inseparable. That notion is absurd. I'm only saying, that for the sake of this thread, the military question is addressed, while the trade question is allowed to rest on the results. Alter foriegn policy as far as the projection of power, and see how trade, and all else, is affected. Will there be effects on all fronts? Without a doubt.

Offline Capt. Pork

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
A world without the US
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2004, 01:07:50 PM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
So Capt. Pork, you don't agree with the theory of vice being the global economic linchpin?

Please qualify.

Offline maslo

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
A world without the US
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2004, 01:09:11 PM »
Originally posted by qts
America's internatrional trading power depends upon it's military power.  If America were to withdraw military, many trading agreements - not only with the US but also other countries - will be held  hostage or null and void.

International affairs come down to the basic statement,' We will smack you if you misbehave'. The smack may be economic or military, but the threat has to be there - otherwise why would the other party agree?

eeeh ??

who do you wanna threat with army, whitch is able to secure armyless country ?

US have no military nor economicaly power to have war with some non-third world country

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
A world without the US
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2004, 01:09:19 PM »
For Maslo...

« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 01:11:28 PM by Holden McGroin »
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
A world without the US
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2004, 01:10:47 PM »
Capt Porks Qualification Request.. Vice = Global Economic Linchpin

trade would be effected... in those communities around foreign bases strippers and hookers would lose employment, the local economy would collapse, starting a domino effect that would cause widespread european and asian depression.

This would cause us to lose trade. No trade, no trade deficit.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
A world without the US
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2004, 01:12:13 PM »
Originally posted by Kieran
Are you suggesting the US didn't throw out warnings to the Arab world to back off?

If they did they didn't listen.  Read the history as suggested by Dune.

Holden...without trade the deficit wouldn't grow further, but what would the US do about the existing deficit...renege?

I actually didn't catch the premise of the thead...my bad, but I think Kieran is right...very difficult to withdraw militarily and protect world-wide economic interests.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline mrblack

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
A world without the US
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2004, 01:14:50 PM »
Dont know what would happend but I would like to find out LOL.
How bout using some of those  American tax dollars on AMERICANS:aok

Offline Capt. Pork

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
A world without the US
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2004, 01:15:32 PM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
Capt Porks Qualification Request..

trade would be effected... in those communities around foreign bases strippers and hookers would lose employment, the local economy would collapse, starting a domino effect that would cause widespread european and asian depression.

This would cause us to lose trade. No trade, no trade deficit.

Yeah, I'll go with that, totally. However, I think that the local economies dependant directly on the spendings of American service men/women would be secondary to the sudden changes created by the changes stemming from spheres-of-infuence. Yes, of course they cycle a lot of wealth into indiginous economies, but a larger factor would remain the sudden vacuums created by billions of annual dollars that are no longer there.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
A world without the US
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2004, 01:21:24 PM »
lol  The world's economies are propped up by their strippers and hookers, tending to the perversions of US servicemen...now that is funny.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline maslo

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
A world without the US
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2004, 01:21:30 PM »
wow
thanks for information

according to that list is US good will in Europe pointless
 So why do you trying to give us (europians) ultimatum with sutch arguments ?

anyway i hopethat oecd.org will be fixed asap there are lot of 404 errors

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
A world without the US
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2004, 01:24:10 PM »
Originally posted by maslo
could you name some ?

Why sure!

Buffalo News, March 16, 2003

...In fact, the largest recipient of American foreign aid today is Israel, a wealthy democracy that receives more than $2.5 billion each year...

....Our second-largest recipient is Egypt - a corrupt autocracy that gets about $2 billion annually....

...Starting in the mid-1990s, the United States funneled about $1 billion to Pyongyang, making it the largest recipient of U.S. aid in East Asia...

There's some. If you'd like more you can google up the rest I think.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!