Author Topic: Some observations about Aces High (ex-WBers only need read)  (Read 1120 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Some observations about Aces High (ex-WBers only need read)
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2001, 01:04:00 PM »
beetle - welcome to the fold.

PT boat kill: someone mentioned rockets at D1.2 ---best way to go but short of that, come in NOE from astearn...start fire at D650 and dont come in over 250 ias...will work 75% of the time.

DmdMax

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2001, 02:35:00 PM »
PT boats are rugged lil bastids.

I've taken great pride in running up to the shore gun and blasting them in there and at their spawn point  <muhahhahaha>

Offline Löwe

• Silver Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/duxfordeagles
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2001, 05:13:00 PM »
Im with ya Uncle, I have been away from warbirds for two months flying here in Aces High. The only thing I miss about Warbirds is my old squad JG51 and some of the other guys I flew with and against.After 6 years of Warbirds, I enjoy the challenge of AH, the people are great as well.With all the guys coming in now from Air Warrior as well, it seems AH is becoming a flight sim version of the witness protection program. You know a lot of the guys here, you just don't know where they are hiding.   :D
Good Hunting Uncle!

Offline 2Late4U

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2001, 05:28:00 PM »
What is it about WB that you guys seem to feel is so lacking?  I personally was put off by the muddled graphics and mushey flight modeling.

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2001, 06:05:00 PM »
Welcome aboard Uncle.

PT boats - easy to strafe if they are distracted, or else it's suicide, they have way more firepower than you do.

ACK strafing - easy to do, but much easier if the acks are distracted, like the PT boat.  I think my record is 5 acks in 1 pass.  Just fire, jink, fire, jink.  It only takes one quick burst to kill an ack.  The 190A5 is the best de-acker imho.

Dora v Hog turn - If he had low fuel and you had high fuel, he could probably turn with you.  Also, use the flaps in the Hog to tighten the turn if you need it.  It sounds like he knew what he was doing so with an E advantage the fight was his to lose.

ra

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2001, 06:29:00 PM »
Heres what I LOVE to do with PT boats: Spot em from about 5k up and head in the opposite direction of battle.  When Im about 5 miles out I drop straight down to the wave tops and head directly for the PT trying to come in at a rear 45 degree aspect if possible.

9 times out of 10 the PT boat never sees mne coming and if he does I see his tracers splash all around me and I simply break 90 degrees.  Have killed many, many dozens with this technique the past several yours with only rare hits and fewer deaths.

The F4U4 at altititude (anything above 10k) is simply viscious with its speed and compression behavior.  Ive chased down LA7s and 51s at their maximum level speed from long grabs starting below in that beast.

Other stuff is good observations scrmble.

Y
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2001, 06:45:00 PM »
Yeager I used to use that same technique against Ostis in the canyon terrain.   :)
Pop up over a ridge, skim the sheep, and pop him in the rear while he's aiming the wrong way.   :)

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2001, 05:09:00 AM »
PT boats are hard to kill, and m3/flaks are even harder. Best use rockets as explained above. But be sure not to go too close again, or his guns will make a toast out of you.

Dora can't turn with hogc, it can't turn with almost anything in this game. If he could sustain turned with you for longer than a few seconds -- probably you forgot to drop dt, had eggs, or made some other mistake which are made sometime, specially with people new to AH.

Hint: if you really want to be good -- fly all AH planes and ride all vehicles. While you need to spend most of your time in one ride to get the best out of it, knowing other planes is important too -- you will know their weaknesses when you meet them while they probably will not know yours  :)

And last hint -- first aproach you shall think that your opponent is an ace, it helps to survive. After first aproach you know almost 100% what his skills, so deal him according to what he is  :)

Good luck and welcome to AH  :)

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2001, 09:59:00 AM »
It's great to have you here Scrmbl your enthusiasm for AH is quite infectious and I'm sure the gang at HTC would smile if they read this post. I hung on and hung on hoping for change with WB and watched while other sims march on with improvements while much of the old problems and communities favourite whines are still there while they model such important things like the F86   :rolleyes: custom plane skins   :rolleyes: and correct star positions for every date so you can navigate by the stars   :rolleyes:   :rolleyes:   :rolleyes:  while the skins may be cool there is so much else that needs fixing and as a buffer I sure am looking forward to what HTC have in store for v1.09

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2001, 10:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by funkedup:
Yeager I used to use that same technique against Ostis in the canyon terrain.    :)
Pop up over a ridge, skim the sheep, and pop him in the rear while he's aiming the wrong way.    :)

Tiffy was made for this type of attack.  :)