Author Topic: Scenario Question / Poll  (Read 3221 times)

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
Scenario Question / Poll
« on: March 15, 2004, 08:50:32 AM »
The CM Group needs your input.

We are looking to gauge the response to allowing any current CM's to participate in Scenarios as the CO or XO or in any part of the Planning process.

Currently we limit the CM's to just a GL role. This has been the case since we started running scenarios on a consistent every 3 month basis.

Currently if a CM wanted to be a CO or XO or part of the planning staff they have to give up access to the CM Only forum and all CM Powers in the special events arena.

Now that everyone is more comfortable with the way scenarios are being run and managed we want to see how you the player would feel if we allowed any current CM to be a CO or XO or part of a planning staff AND still keep their CM Powers and access to the CM Only forum ? The CM would not have access to any opposing sides forums.

How do you feel about this potential change ?

Please answer the poll and post any comments.

Thanks,

Vote:
Choice 1: Yes
Choice 2: No
Choice 3: Do not care
AW - AH Pilot 199? - 200?
Pulled out of Mothballs for DGS Allied Bomber Group Leader :)

Nose art

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
Scenario Question / Poll
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 09:44:15 AM »
To be clear:

The above question is not implying that the common players will be excluded from being a CO/XO/Command staff member?

I'm a little, bitter, cynic man. ;)

I've voted yes, btw.

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
Scenario Question / Poll
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 09:54:23 AM »
Originally posted by Naso
To be clear:

The above question is not implying that the common players will be excluded from being a CO/XO/Command staff member?

I'm a little, bitter, cynic man. ;)

I've voted yes, btw.

That is corect.

We will always try look to the player base first.

We have had several good CM Candiates turn down an offer to be a CM becuase they could not be a CO or XO or part of the planning st aff in scenarios.

Ruhr was unusual in that we ended up with 2 CM's as CO's.

Usually a CM will only ask to be on the planning staff if he has a great interest in that particular Scenario.

Thanks,

Nose art

Offline bigjava

• Copper Member
Scenario Question / Poll
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 09:59:44 AM »
done :D
yes i think it could be
and if doasen't work at all
we can ever come back to the old usages:rolleyes:

Offline lucull

• Nickel Member
Scenario Question / Poll
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 10:40:44 AM »
Btw, what special powers do CMs have in the SEA?

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
Scenario Question / Poll
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 11:01:49 AM »
Blue CM Text, Setup Arena tools, load terrains, ect.

Mostly stuff needed to setup and run an event.

Just the CM's that are SETTING up and or RUNNING the event use these tools.

CM's that are just paticipating in an event are not supposed to use them for any reason unless the CM on duty as for some help.

Honor system is expected from ALL CM's during any special event.

Nose art

Offline lucull

• Nickel Member
Scenario Question / Poll
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 11:08:57 AM »
Thanks for the info.

I was just wondering, if a CM could accidently see the enemy on radar (asuming radar would be off for players), which would make a huge difference.
But that doesn't seem to be the case. :)

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Scenario Question / Poll
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004, 11:48:55 AM »
Originally posted by lucull
I was just wondering, if a CM could accidently see the enemy on radar (asuming radar would be off for players)
Nope, when radar is off, it's off for everyone including CMs.  ;)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Scenario Question / Poll
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2004, 01:07:23 PM »
I'm not certain how it works, but don't the CMs take shifts? For example, one individual will CM a scenario while another one flies for that scenario?

I'm strangely not in favor of this... I'd rather not see some poor CM have to spend that much time and to not spend that much time working as a GL/CO/XO is not helping those under their command to have a more enjoyable time.

It could be done but the work load would be a too much imho.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
      • http://people.delphiforums.com/jtweller
Scenario Question / Poll
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2004, 01:14:37 PM »
I voted "yes", but I because there was no room for comments in the poll itself, I'll post a caveat here:

A person who is a CM should be able to be on the command staff of a scenario, PROVIDED that person is NOT one of the CMs for that particular scenario.  Just keep the distinction between jobs during the scenario.  If you're a player in any capacity, then you can't also be a CM for that scenario, and vice versa.  I say this because in the past there have been problems caused by people who were both players/staff for a side and were acting as a CM at the same time in the same scenario.

As long as this separation of jobs and powers is maintained during the scenario, I see no reason to go through the administrative hassle of having a CM effectively resign from the CM team just to participate in a scenario, then have to re-up as a CM afterwards.  In fact, having staff players with CM powers would be very advantageous IMHO.  For instance, they could turn on airfields for their side in a timely manner when needed for re-ups.

I'm sure some folks will say that staff guys with CM powers will give in to the tempation to use them as cheats during play.  To this I reply that EVERY player faces the temptation to cheat by breaking the many rules in each scenario that CM's can't directly enforce with various settings.  Scenarios only work because people follow the rules when trusted to do so.  So there's no difference between trusting us grunts and trusting a player who happens to have CM powers as well.

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Scenario Question / Poll
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2004, 01:38:36 PM »
Hey BH, speaking of CMs... did you get the e-mail I sent you?
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
Scenario Question / Poll
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2004, 01:54:33 PM »
Originally posted by Delirium
I'm not certain how it works, but don't the CMs take shifts? For example, one individual will CM a scenario while another one flies for that scenario?

I'm strangely not in favor of this... I'd rather not see some poor CM have to spend that much time and to not spend that much time working as a GL/CO/XO is not helping those under their command to have a more enjoyable time.

It could be done but the work load would be a too much imho.

Each CM is in a specific CM Group - Scenario / Snapshots / Squad OPS / KOTH . . .

This applies to not only the Scenario CM's but any other CM who is not in the Scenario Group.

So if a Snapshot CM wants to partake in the command staff of a Scenario side how does not have to drop out of the CM Group and he can do so and still work ( or reschedule his CM duties during that time ) as needed.

---

BH - Ususally a Sceanrio CM is either working on the Design and running of the Scenario or helping run one ( up to 6-9 months at times ) or the CM is not involved in the current Scenario at all CM Duty wise.  If the Scenario CM is not involved at all then if allowed by the player base he could then participate as part of the command staff for that scenario.

Ruhr was a slightly diff beast since I was helping train a new Scenario CM so I was part of the Design effort - but then relinquished all of my CM powers / access to be the CO also. This was a rare circumstance. Even as part of the design team I was unable to "ENSURE" an allied victory due to my participation at the CM level  :)

Nose art

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Scenario Question / Poll
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2004, 04:09:46 PM »
I voted yes.

I figure anyone selected as a CM is going to abide by the rules to begin with and I see advantages to having a CO/XO with arena powers able to setup the arena for practice; it’s always a problem.

I do have some concerns.

I wonder if the CM staff has already discussed a CO/XO arguing his case for an issue determination directly in the CM forum instead of only on the Command Forum, that might be an unfair advantage.

Advanced knowledge of the terrain map is another potential problem here.
In every scenario I participated in, there were unexpected pitfalls for the unwary players and the CM might have advanced knowledge of land mines, bridge problems and unusual capture conditions such as those in Niemen.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
Scenario Question / Poll
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2004, 04:24:03 PM »
Originally posted by Easyscor
I do have some concerns.

I wonder if the CM staff has already discussed a CO/XO arguing his case for an issue determination directly in the CM forum instead of only on the Command Forum, that might be an unfair advantage.

Ever since we started using the Command Forum for the CM's and Each comamnd staff very little Scenario specific discussion has taken place in the CM only forum unless it was related strictly to SETUP questions and getting a more expert opinion on a problem.

Advanced knowledge of the terrain map is another potential problem here.
In every scenario I participated in, there were unexpected pitfalls for the unwary players and the CM might have advanced knowledge of land mines, bridge problems and unusual capture conditions such as those in Niemen.

The same thing as above. Now that we setup a DESIGN Forum usually just the SCENARIO CM's have early access to the Terrain. So a Scenario CM not involved in the design could be denigned access to that forum as well as non Scenario CM's. Only if a major stumbling block arises that more expert help may be called in to help from the CM only forum.

Thanks and keep the comments coming.

Nose art

Offline Eagle327

• Copper Member
      • 327th Steel Talons
Scenario Question / Poll
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2004, 04:40:21 PM »
I vote "yes".

It is my belief as Officers-and-Gentlemen we bring to the table the ethics and trust of a suffecient level to accommodate the foregoing concerns.

Salute !

Eagle
Eagle, Group XO
327th Steel Talons Squadrons

"Keep 'em level, Mates. Greasy side down."