Author Topic: Training and new blood  (Read 1968 times)

Offline Scaevola

• Copper Member
Training and new blood
« on: March 31, 2004, 02:54:24 PM »
I've been playing Aces high for just over a month now and I have realised that the learning curve with this game is pretty steep. I am prepared to stick with it and try and get better. However it is unfortunate that this game and the people who play it are not really "newbie" friendly.

The training arena is fine to a point, however, it is sparsely populated and it is genearally populated by "newbies" such as me, every now and again there is a trainer in there but they are only able to deal with one person at a time to be able to pass on tricks or flying tactics to someone.

The main arena gives you a lot  more realism but  if you do have a question to ask you get 9 abuses telling you to "go to the training arena you dweeb" before you get someone to give you the info you require.

.(I have made a note of every dweeb remark and i am going to kill everyone that has said so, maybe not now but eventually)

To the guys that have lived here for years, if you want to feel good about being good at this then pass your knowledge on and get a real challenge rather than blowing the hell out of a "newbie" and thinking your the best thing since sliced bread and then insulting them.

I am going to get better so watch out, but there are people out there whos participation in the game would make it a more enjoyable experience but they are put off by the fact that no one wants to pass on knowledge.

I'm going to be around for a bit and I would encourage anyone who is into online games to stick around longer than the two week trial (should be longer) as this is fun.Anyone wants to ask me anything I will happily tell them all I know about aces high.

As a side note 5 pints of Stella usually set me off rambling, just count your blessings I can't find my microphone at the moment

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Training and new blood
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 03:05:04 PM »
.(I have made a note of every dweeb remark and i am going to kill everyone that has said so, maybe not now but eventually)

Yes but how many times are they going to get you in the mean time? :D

Sorry, couldn't help myself.  If you see me online throw me a PM.  If I'm not in the middle of somthin' I'll try and answer any questions if I can.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Eztgt2CH

• Zinc Member
Training and new blood
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 03:07:42 PM »
Scaevola,

Excellent post.  I think that some people forget that they at one time were new to the game and had questions to ask.  I feel pretty confident that when they had questions in the MA they did not run back to the TA to find out the answer.  It is unfortunate that you have run into the ones that are intolerant of new players and have to put them down instead of helping.  If you are on and flying for the Knights look for someone that has a CH attached to their name.  These are the C-Hawks and will be more than happy to help any new player that comes along.  Hope you stick with the game and will see you online.  

Eztgt2CH

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
Training and new blood
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 03:11:28 PM »
i try to help when i can but after 18 months i am still pretty useless  but can give the basics,there is always smart remarks but still plenty of people who will help
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Training and new blood
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 03:18:10 PM »
Originally posted by Scaevola
I've been playing Aces high for just over a month now and I have realised that the learning curve with this game is pretty steep. I am prepared to stick with it and try and get better. However it is unfortunate that this game and the people who play it are not really "newbie" friendly.

The training arena is fine to a point, however, it is sparsely populated and it is genearally populated by "newbies" such as me, every now and again there is a trainer in there but they are only able to deal with one person at a time to be able to pass on tricks or flying tactics to someone.

The main arena gives you a lot  more realism but  if you do have a question to ask you get 9 abuses telling you to "go to the training arena you dweeb" before you get someone to give you the info you require.

To the guys that have lived here for years, if you want to feel good about being good at this then pass your knowledge on and get a real challenge rather than blowing the hell out of a "newbie" and thinking your the best thing since sliced bread and then insulting them.

Scaevola,
I will be glad to help you with anything you want help with. Yes there is a few or more of flyers that blow off the new guys/gals and this is a bad thing. But on the other hand there are alot of flyers always willing to help out  the new flyers. It could be the times you fly in the MA or if you asked on local channel, country channel and or arena channel.  This being your first post to the message boards as far as I can tell shows that you might have just found them. Here in the Training / help section you can ask anything and 9 out of 10 times get some great responses.

you can catch me in game as TC  or email me at
TequilaChaser@bellsouth.net

one tip that might help you on these boards is to try and be polite first rather than flame unless all you get is blowed off or flamed for your question.

You may have started out the wrong way with your first post.
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Training and new blood
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004, 03:47:05 PM »
Scaevola,

Most of the guys will help if you ask the right way...most "newbies" ask "dumb" questions that are easily answered in the FAQ's ..."how come my GV wont move?" or beyond the scope of a consise answer "how do I get the plane off the ground?"....obviously your paying your dues.

If your getting waxed ask the guy who killed you what happened...I think you'd be suprised how many will  answer you (unless they still engaged). Join a squad...lot of great oness that can and will help (see ghosth's post). You can also find guys who will wing with you (or fly as an observer afew times)....

If you fly knight you can tag along with me anytime you want...

azhacker

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
Training and new blood
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2004, 03:54:05 PM »
Ahh, another newbie thirsty for blood.

Our plan is working perfectly...hehehe

White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
Training and new blood
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2004, 03:56:32 PM »
Scaevola, welcome to AH.
Sorry you had a rough start.
In response, If you ask individuals You will find that most are willing to help out.

If  you see me in the game, feel free to give me a shout. As long as I'm not involved in a mission, I would be more than happy to pass on what little I know.

Cheers,
RTR
The Damned

Offline skev

• Zinc Member
Training and new blood
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 05:00:29 PM »
Scaevole dont get discouraged by some of the peoples response for the most part the members are usually helpful and when not involved in something are willing to help.
As a newbie myself only playing for six months I learned that offline research such as the help file and netaces dot.org can be helpful tools to read to help with the game
flying with a squad is helpful to "there are enough just post you want to be in one and someone will snatch you up"
I tried flying with an experienced well known squad at first but the information was alittle overwhelming...... better to learn in small doses.... learn one thing practice practice practice then learn another
Myself and anyone in the flying hellfish squad will be more than willing to help you with any questions

when your on just look me up my game name is Skev

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
Training and new blood
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 05:23:11 PM »
Personal, or group, training time can easily be arranged by contacting the trainer corps: trainers@hitechcreations.com to help work on just about anything.  The problem with most requests in the MA are that they are of the "read the manual" type and thus get a less than luke-warm response.  There are also a number of good websites that have AH related material and training help (http://www.netaces.org being one) as well as a number of squad sites that also have help (films).  It is also advisable to search this forum for topics using key words (tips, tricks, newbie, beginner, etc). as there have been MANY great threads posted by players to help newer players learn the ropes.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me:

soda@hitechcreations.com.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
Re: Training and new blood
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2004, 09:27:27 PM »
Originally posted by Scaevola

sounds like you are on the right track, when I started I got beat up pretty good and taunted, then payback time came..

helps motivate you to learn to fly..

but also there are nice folks who will help you anytime..

just remember that folks will taunt on purpose to try to lure you into things that you shouldn't be lured into, it's part of the game..

and that some other folks are just jerks so don't listen to them :)

OH also, if you aren't finding enough 1 vs1 time with trainers you can always ask for films, I'm sure plenty of people have those that you can study, they really can be helpful.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2004, 09:31:05 PM by Kanth »
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Training and new blood
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2004, 11:36:38 PM »
I try to spent several hours each week in the TA working with new players and even experienced players who want to improve their skills. Whenever I am airborne, I am always a "guns free" target, no need to ask for permission to shoot at me.

This evening I spent an hour with Spitty working on the P-38. Showing the him the value of using corner velocity by demonstration. Showing him how Combat Trim limits the P-38's maneuverability. We worked out comfortable manual trim settings. We even worked on optimizing his stick settings. Moreover, we both had fun. I was very pleased to see a marked improvement in Spitty in so short a time. He's a fast study.

I try to get to the TA at least 4 times a week. So, if you can't find a trainer, ask me and we'll go to a quiet field and work on whatever you require assistance with. Most days and evenings you can find trainers, either Ghosth, Fuseman, Ren, Soda and others in the TA asking if anyone needs help. However, when they are not present, there are several others who are always willing to assist.

When I first started flying AH, there were several guys who took the time to teach me. Guys like Ammo and Vermillion didn't hesitate to lend me a hand. From their example, I am happy to give something back and help a new player enjoy the game as much as possible.

While we're on the topic of the TA, let me state that it is a better arena for flying duels than the DA. Why? Because you can't shoot each other down, per se, but you can certainly tell if you scored well enough to have done so. Since you don't have to wait for the other guy to replane, you can continue until all ammo is exhausted.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Training and new blood
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2004, 12:52:54 AM »
Originally posted by Widewing
I try to spent several hours each week in the TA working with new players and even experienced players who want to improve their skills.

While we're on the topic of the TA, let me state that it is a better arena for flying duels than the DA. Why? Because you can't shoot each other down, per se, but you can certainly tell if you scored well enough to have done so. Since you don't have to wait for the other guy to replane, you can continue until all ammo is exhausted.

good on you WW...

one thing you miiiiight want to check out (i'm not suuuuuure totally, but....) is whether the AoA (arena setting which the stall limiter mimics) is different to provide for an easier time...

they may have set it to MA standards since the inclusion of the stall limiter setting, but....  might want to look into that to be sure you're working with a "normal" FM.  also, wouldn;t hurt to inquire as to whether the guys you work with have stall limiter enabled or not. it does make a difference.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline LtPillur

• Copper Member
Training and new blood
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2004, 10:11:25 AM »
I am new at this myself and understand completely. I recently asked a question and got several wise guy remarks (including one who stated "That was a stupid question!"). I squelch channel
1. It eliminates most of the banter. The DA has become a country club, IMO. Whenever I go there several people just come out of nowhere and shoot me down. OTOH I've noticed that hanging in the DA has made me a "fringe member" and while the same people still enjoy nailing me some actually enjoy the chase or being chased. I have also been fortunate to have people in the MA allow me to ride along. I record it and play it back later. I look for high ranking players. If you ever see me in the TA let me know. We can have at it and learn from each other. Peace.
Pillur

Offline Scaevola

• Copper Member
Training and new blood
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2004, 11:49:05 AM »
Hey guys. thanks for taking the time to respond to this thread, I tip my hat to you.

Yeh, this thread was my first post here as I've been lurking around for a bit and have picked up some interesting tit bits by trolling thru the posts.

I don't want to give anyone the impression that I haven't enjoyed myself playing aces high it's quite the opposite I've enjoyed and am still enjoying playing here.

The thread itself was more of a general observation than a major criticism of the game (granted a drunken one at the time ). I realised within 30 secs of installing and running the game for the first time that this wasn't a waggle your joystick and kill game and that I would have 'RTFM'.

The same goes for any 'newbie' here if you haven't at least run thru the manual then I strongly suggest you do.

As with most manuals and help files they never seem to quite cover the situation you find yourself in so there will always be questions, on the other hand I recognise the fact that covering all aspects of the game is impossible.

I have met a lot of good people here and I have run into fuzeman in the TA and found him to be very helpful but as per the original post he is only one person and some of the aspects of aces high require 1 on 1 tuition.

I have recently found that if I join up to a mission and tell the leader than I'm a 'newbie' then they will generally spend time to run me trhu what I have to be doing, a big thanks to Box who's squad is Fade I believe (I'm not logged on yet)  who ran me thru my last 2 missions with him.  I managed to hit something and avoid crashing into the ground on those missions, still ended up with someone on my six and Kaboom but I still felt a small sense of pride. Thanks to Lake and DLL also as I usually sit on channel 106 and listening to their chatter while they're bombing and  stuff has added to my knowledge.

Well I've rambled on enough and I'm gonna see if I can shoot someone down, (*leafs thru his little red book*), thanks for the responses and I'll make a point of trying to say hi to ya's if i see you around.

p.s I really don't care how many times I get shot down, just be warned 'I'm here to stay and your days a numbered' :P

- Asylum with doors open wide,
where people can pay to see inside,
For entertainment they watch his body twist,
behind his eyes he screams "I STILL EXIST"-