Author Topic: TEST - Auto-Take Off from CVs  (Read 678 times)

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
TEST - Auto-Take Off from CVs
« on: April 23, 2004, 12:30:16 PM »
I think Auto-Take off feature can be a little misleading for taking off CVs, usually it's better to take off manually and even then you'll see people crashing.  

It's led me to believe that perhaps some aircraft should start automatically further back on the deck or perhaps they require tweaking to take off from the CV?

I carried out tests for all CV aircraft taking off into wind and not into wind.  Aircraft unable to take off were tested with WEP, different degress of flaps.

All tests are 75% fuel with Full payload unless otherwise stated.  Tests carried out on ndisles online settings.

A6M2 - Auto Take-Off successful

A6M2 - Auto Take-Off successful

B5N2 - Auto Take-Off successful only if 100% directly into head on wind.  50% fuel required if not into wind.

D3A1 - Auto Take-Off successful

F4F - Auto Take-Off successful

F4U-1 - Auto Take-Off successful (no flaps)

F4U-1C - Auto Take-Off unsuccessful.  Must load 50% fuel and take off into wind (doesn't have to be head on) + 2 notches flaps + WEP.

F4U-1D - Auto Take-Off unsuccessful.  Can only take off using 25% fuel and into 100% head on wind + 2 notches flaps + WEP.

F4U-4 - Auto Take-Off successful but must be into 100% head on wind + 2 notches flaps + WEP.  Unable to take off otherwise heavy.

F6F-5 - Auto Take-Off successful but must be into 100% head on wind + 2 notches flaps + WEP.  Can take off with 50% into wind (not head on) but only if you raise gear manually as soon as off the deck.

FM2 - Auto Take-Off successful

SBD - Auto Take-Off unsuccessful.  Can only take off using 25% fuel and into 100% head on wind.  Unable to take off otherwise.

Seafire IIc - Auto Take-Off successful

TBM - unavailable for test

I also found that if there was a direct cross wind from port to starboard it would blow a heavy F4U-1C/D/4 across and clip the 5" gun - this has only been happening intermittantly.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 12:37:07 PM by Replicant »
NEXX

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 02:11:06 PM »
Replicant,

I have my own auto takeoff procedure that works so well it is really a cheat built into the game.

Do this.

Take the CV straight ahead no wind at sea level (As in the MA).

F4U-1D
100% fuel
2 1,000LBS bombs
8 rockets
Full Flap
No WEP

Try that manually a few times and you may get it occassionally it is not easy. In fact most players have a very complicated procedure if you are to make this work at all.

Now do this.

Throttle back on the start position to idle. Hit the auto angle mode before starting. Then apply full throttle. The aircraft will shake like crazy while starting down the runway but no matter how heavy you will lift off (hands free) at the end.

Every time.

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 03:56:14 PM »
Thanks for the tip, I don't normally have problems taking off myself but was testing the default Auto Takeoff feature in AH/AH2 which doesn't always work, especially with the F4Us.
NEXX

Offline ChuBBs

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.81x.com/Chubbs/AcesHigh
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 05:33:35 PM »
on CV i never us auto takeoff and always take F4us 100 fuel full bomb load with no problems.  i never trust auto takeoff.

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 06:31:06 PM »
Originally posted by ChuBBs
i never trust auto takeoff.

Hence this test and perhaps some tweaking of the auto-takeoff is required?
NEXX

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2004, 04:58:42 PM »
Yeah, let's make taking off from a carrier really easy.  We know it was a really easy thing to do...
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2004, 05:02:09 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
Yeah, let's make taking off from a carrier really easy.  We know it was a really easy thing to do...

What a complete knobhead.

I am simply testing the feature 'AUTO TAKEOFF'.  What part of that don't you understand or are your brains in your prettythang?

If a plane crashes taking off using Auto Takeoff then it isn't Auto Takeoff is it?  So it's either misleading or you need to adjust the direction of the fleet into the wind or compensate using a very light fuel load.  Either way Auto Takeoff from CVs doesn't always work.
NEXX

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2004, 09:03:10 PM »
Originally posted by Replicant
What a complete knobhead.

hehe :D

Good old old english :) :D

Gatso

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2004, 09:12:31 AM »
Originally posted by F4UDOA
Replicant,

Take the CV straight ahead no wind at sea level (As in the MA).

F4U-1D
100% fuel
2 1,000LBS bombs
8 rockets
Full Flap
No WEP

Every time.

I'm pretty sure there is a wind at sea level in the MA. Though I'd like to see some input from HTC & co to confirm this.

Reason being I've noticed that taking off into the the wind indicated on the clipboard is alot easier with a full loadout then taking off with the wind at your backwhich is next to impossable.
Which really is as it should be.
Wasnt it normal procedure to turn the carrier into the wind to launch planes?
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2004, 09:31:30 AM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
I'm pretty sure there is a wind at sea level in the MA. Though I'd like to see some input from HTC & co to confirm this.

Reason being I've noticed that taking off into the the wind indicated on the clipboard is alot easier with a full loadout then taking off with the wind at your backwhich is next to impossable.
Which really is as it should be.
Wasnt it normal procedure to turn the carrier into the wind to launch planes?

That's interesting Drediock.  The planes that struggled to take off or simply couldn't I tried various fuel levels, various notches of flaps and I was also using 2 fleets, one into wind, one not.  When I say 100% head on wind, it was directly into the wind direction (normally north) and obviously at sea level.

Yes, it was normal procedure to turn the carrier into the wind, but even then it Auto Takeoff doesn't always work.  When you watch WW2 footage of Corsairs taking off they are clearly higher than the deck after takeoff whereas in AH you nearly hit the water before climbing out.
NEXX

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2004, 09:32:39 AM »
Lol... Nexx:)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2004, 11:20:43 AM »
When you watch WW2 footage of Corsairs taking off they are clearly higher than the deck after takeoff whereas in AH you nearly hit the water before climbing out.

The only planes that seem to do that in AH1 are the F4F-4, FM-2 and the F6F-5. I don't think I have ever been lower than the deck immediately after take off with full fuel and weapon loadouts. However with the Corsair you struggle like a fat guy trying to do "dips" on a dip rack in the weight room. I agree though I have never seen WW2 footage that doesn't have the Corsair and Hellcat practically jumping off the deck on takeoff.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2004, 09:24:30 AM »
Yes, it was normal procedure to turn the carrier into the wind, but even then it Auto Takeoff doesn't always work. When you watch WW2 footage of Corsairs taking off they are clearly higher than the deck after takeoff whereas in AH you nearly hit the water before climbing out.

How many of those F4Us were carrying 2,000lbs of bombs + 6xHVAR load on full fuel? IIRC, the 1000lbs bombs were very uncommon.. and to trying a take-off with two of them, with additional 12 rockets hanging underneathe the wings..???

I also seem to recall the P-38L carrying 2k + 10xHVAR loadout only took of with lesser than 100% fuel, and only on missions which required such heavy ordnance load.

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2004, 11:58:13 AM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
How many of those F4Us were carrying 2,000lbs of bombs + 6xHVAR load on full fuel? IIRC, the 1000lbs bombs were very uncommon.. and to trying a take-off with two of them, with additional 12 rockets hanging underneathe the wings..???

I also seem to recall the P-38L carrying 2k + 10xHVAR loadout only took of with lesser than 100% fuel, and only on missions which required such heavy ordnance load.

I honestly don't know, but I do know that not every 1 in 3 Corsairs hit the drink like in AH! :)
NEXX

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2004, 11:43:00 PM »
That's interesting Drediock.  The planes that struggled to take off or simply couldn't I tried various fuel levels, various notches of flaps and I was also using 2 fleets, one into wind, one not.  When I say 100% head on wind, it was directly into the wind direction (normally north) and obviously at sea level.

Yes, it was normal procedure to turn the carrier into the wind, but even then it Auto Takeoff doesn't always work.  When you watch WW2 footage of Corsairs taking off they are clearly higher than the deck after takeoff whereas in AH you nearly hit the water before climbing out.

Well I said "Taking off" not autotakeoff. LOL
I use full flaps and wep when fully loaded and can get her up (without backing up first) if Im taking off into the wind alot easier then with the wind at my back
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty