Author Topic: For those who can't see the point of the other thread...  (Read 672 times)

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
For those who can't see the point of the other thread...
« on: April 26, 2004, 11:12:05 PM »
Why not post your off topic remarks in a different thread? Seems reasonable.

Originally posted by AKS\/\/ulfe
Sure, but when a thread topic is this : "Patriotism defined" It DOES diminish the sacrifices of those who were there before, are there right now, and will be there in the future.
-SW

That's the thread's title, not it's topic. Even the title doesn't diminish anyone, maybe you can enlighten me as to how it does. Maybe you think naming a military base or school or road after someone diminishes all the others who served?

Honoring Pat Tillman is no different than honoring other specific individules and I saw nothing in the Article that diminished, in any way, others who serve or served.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 11:16:01 PM by NUKE »

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 11:18:51 PM »
Are you retarded? A thread's SUBJECT is its topic.

And as far as how it diminishes anyone else, it states that this man is patriotism defined while the nameless hundreds to the public are simply... soldiers? I dunno, you tell me - you all seem to think patriotism requires giving up money.
-SW

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 11:22:14 PM »
No question... the late Mr. Tillman was probably a better man than any of his NFL peers.

That said... there are hundreds (if not thousands) of Rangers (and other soldiers) that are every bit his equal.

Of course, that's just my opinion.
sand

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 11:24:44 PM »
Are you retarded? A thread's SUBJECT is its topic.
-SW

I have to agree, however, you said the thread's SUBJECT was defining patriotism, when in fact the SUBJECT or TOPIC was Pat Tillman. Or maybe you explain tol me how the thread was not about Pat Tillman?

Of course I do appreciate you going into attack mode by calling me names rather than respond to my points.

The TITLE of the thread has little to do with the SUBJECT. The first post in the thread was a link to an article about Pat Tillman. The topic of the thread was Pat Tilllman..... at least for 98% of the people bright enough to figure that out.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Re: For those who can't see the point of the other thread...
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 11:26:24 PM »
Originally posted by NUKE
That's the thread's title, not it's topic. Even the title doesn't diminish anyone, maybe you can enlighten me as to how it does.

Well, when he died, alot of us put his picture in their avatar, yet through the hundreds who have died before him, I can't remember any of them in an avatar.

Maybe it doesn't diminish anyone, maybe it puts him in our thoughts more than the rest, maybe it does neither, just an observation. One that Pat Tillman would probably notice.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 11:27:28 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
No question... the late Mr. Tillman was probably a better man than any of his NFL peers.

That said... there are hundreds (if not thousands) of Rangers (and other soldiers) that are every bit his equal.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

I agree completely...just don't see how people could think a story about one of them diminished the others in any way.

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 11:32:59 PM »
I didn't call you anything Nuke, I asked you a question. Stating a topic, then singling out one man who gave his life as the defintion of that topic is ludicrous and asinine to me.

I have family members who did far more, but they weren't a media icon because they weren't a NFL player or didn't give up money. Rather, they gave up their own protection (ie: no guns, but were medics) or their own lives for their fellow man. I have friends who are in the same situation, one going Ranger - and another who is National Guard but is now in Afghanistan - and I won't ever see them on the news or in the publics eye.

Its interesting to see everyone run with what the media prints out, yeah - he gave up millions, and his life... but IMO the former is not greater than the latter and makes him no more of an American Hero in my eyes than anyone else who has given the latter for others.

The only reason any of you know his name, or the media even gives two ****s, is because he was in the public's eye beforehand... otherwise, there'd never have been any threads about him.

THATs what kills me.
-SW

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Re: Re: For those who can't see the point of the other thread...
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2004, 11:34:44 PM »
Originally posted by Sixpence
Well, when he died, alot of us put his picture in their avatar, yet through the hundreds who have died before him, I can't remember any of them in an avatar.

And I can't remember many others who made world news by having a unique story and outlook on life, which to me was an enlightening and inspirational story. Would you rather have not heard his story?

Ever wonder why they make movies about certain people and not everyone else? It's because there is a unique story or person behind them...it's not to diminish all the others.

Offline stratman

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
      • http://lawsquadron.com
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2004, 11:41:13 PM »
Keep in mind that most young people who join the military do so to improve there lives.

To get money for college and so on.
SGT Tillman on the other hand one could say had it all and chose to give it up for love of his country and fellow country men.

That Is what I think makes him just a little different.

Ask yourselves If you were a pro ball player making millions of dollars a year living the good life would YOU give it up
to become a Ranger(no easy feat in of itself) and go of to fight an ugly war?

That Is the core right there .
Most enlisted men had the choice of either working at quick lube or joining the military to get college money.

SGT Tillman as you can see was special.
Maybe his death can make us all think of ALL the young Americans giving there lives in this war.

God Bless them all.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2004, 11:41:18 PM »
Shhhh.

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2004, 11:45:47 PM »
Title in a local newspaper : "He Objects to Fighting, But Is Willing to Help"

Story: "A local conscientious objector has been awarded the Bronze Star Medal in Vietnam.
Pfc. **** * *****, son of Mr. and Mrs. **** *****, address removed, was awarded the medal for hreoism in connection with military operations against hostile forces.
According to Mrs. *****, 'He didn't believe in the killing over there but he said he was willing to help out in some way. And he is.'
 ***** was awarded a conscientious objector status and began serving as an unarmed medic.
 Serving in ******* since April 20, ***** distinguished himself by his actions May 21 while serving with Company B, 1st Battlaion, 5th Infanty.
 Company B was in a sweep operation when a member of the unit tripped a booby-trap. Leaving his position, ***** moved through two hedgerows to aid the wounded soldier.
 As ***** administered aid, another soldier was wounded from a mine explosion.
 Satisfied with the treatment of the first soldier, ***** went to the aid of the second.
 Although the blast ahd severed both of the soldier's legs, ***** kept the man from dying.
 Thus, according to the citation, *****'s actions were directly responsible for saving two men's lives."

Something like that would never see state wide, let alone national, news back then nor now-a-days.
-SW

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Re: Re: Re: For those who can't see the point of the other thread...
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2004, 11:46:35 PM »
Originally posted by NUKE

And I can't remember many others who made world news by having a unique story and outlook on life

That's my point, i'm sure alot of them had a unique story and outlook on life, ones you could write movies about.

Would you rather have not heard his story?

I would like to hear all of them

Ever wonder why they make movies about certain people and not everyone else?

Because they get more publicity. I'm not saying we shouldn't acknowledge what Pat Tillman's life was about, just that we should acknowledge the rest just as much. As a matter of fact, because of Pat Tillman, maybe we will look for the names of the rest who died instead of just the number that were killed. I have been searching for one to put in my avatar, and I am finding many unique stories.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2004, 11:47:38 PM »
I didn't call you anything Nuke, I asked you a question. Stating a topic, then singling out one man who gave his life as the defintion of that topic is ludicrous and asinine to me.

-SW

So you only asked me a question, LOL. Would that be something you would ask somebody in normal, respectful conversation?

So you are saying that if the Title of the Thread was Pat Tillman, then you would have no problem with it? I think there is a thread titled "Pat Tillman" in the general forums. Did you comment there?

And since when is a thread's title the subject in here? Rip probably didn't think of all the political angles and complications when he titled the thread, big deal, you and I know what the subject was.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Re: Re: Re: Re: For those who can't see the point of the other thread...
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2004, 11:51:02 PM »
Originally posted by Sixpence
And I can't remember many others who made world news by having a unique story and outlook on life

That's my point, i'm sure alot of them had a unique story and outlook on life, ones you could write movies about.

Would you rather have not heard his story?

I would like to hear all of them

So if you posted a thread about one of them, then others came in and tried to say detract from that story, you would have no problem with that? Wouldn't it be hypocritical of you to post a story about one of them? You wouldn't want to detract from all the others that serve afterall.

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2004, 11:56:24 PM »
You want respect? If I knew you and you knew me, I would have asked you the same exact thing - but with better emphasis.

If the subject of the thread were, "NFL pro turned hero" ****, thats what the thread is about and what I've got respect for him doing. "Patriotism defined" is downright ignorance, because there are far more patriots that truly defined that word than him - past, present, and no doubt future. As far as the "General forums" - this is one. Unless you meant the AH General Discussion forum, in which case I don't browse it - because I don't play the game anymore - so there is no way I'd comment in it.

Rip starts only political threads since the popular presidential politics began this past year, prior to that it was WMDs. When he titled the thread, well I didn't think anything like you... nor did I read his thread until late Monday.
-SW