Author Topic: For those who can't see the point of the other thread...  (Read 673 times)

Offline stratman

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
      • http://lawsquadron.com
For those who can't see the point of the other thread...
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2004, 11:58:10 PM »
I used to have a web site url of all the casulties from the war so far.
It showed thereb pics and what units they where in.

It to me was very sad to look at all the very young faces that are gone now.

Anyone know of  that website?

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2004, 11:58:27 PM »
it states that this man is patriotism defined

He was!

I have family members who did far more, but they weren't a media icon because they weren't a NFL player or didn't give up money. Rather, they gave up their own protection (ie: no guns, but were medics) or their own lives for their fellow man. I have friends who are in the same situation, one going Ranger - and another who is National Guard but is now in Afghanistan - and I won't ever see them on the news or in the publics eye.

Wulfe, maybe they are patriotism defined too!  It doesn't mean Tillman isn't.  Doncha think patriotism can have more than one hat?  don't gainsay Tillman because the media isn't mentioning your loved ones. America is no less grateful to the others that died.  

My thanks to your friends and relatives who serve(d).

When I was young enough to serve, I was too selfish to see my duty as a citizen. I'm grateful that Tillman, your relatives, and your friends saw the need.  It's the biggest regret I have in my life now, that I was too self absorbed to serve.   Your relatives, friends and Tillman remind me that I need to appreciate that they are putting on the line (for me!) that which I was not willing to put on the line for them and others.  It's truly humbling.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Originally posted by NUKE
So if you posted a thread about one of them, then others came in and tried to say detract from that story, you would have no problem with that?

I have no problem with anything, you aked me a question, I gave you an answer.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Gnslngr

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2004, 12:01:19 AM »
/all I can say is tillman is a better man then I.

I ended my contract w/ the Marine Corps after being Re-activated for 9/11.   My wife was pregnant at the time and my country called...but all they did was treat me like a reservist and send me to hawaii to stand a security post for some airfield......how selfish of me.

I signed up orriginally back in 96  I still had time to give in the IRR to complain about my specific situation

the truth is I wasnt in harms way...pat tillman was...I served and so did he but who was the bigger man.

I respect the man and pray for his family  I didnt do much with my calling...he did

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2004, 12:03:06 AM »
Originally posted by AKS\/\/ulfe
You want respect? If I knew you and you knew me, I would have asked you the same exact thing - but with better emphasis.

If the subject of the thread were, "NFL pro turned hero" ****, thats what the thread is about and what I've got respect for him doing. "Patriotism defined" is downright ignorance, because there are far more patriots that truly defined that word than him - past, present, and no doubt future. As far as the "General forums" - this is one. Unless you meant the AH General Discussion forum, in which case I don't browse it - because I don't play the game anymore - so there is no way I'd comment in it.

Rip starts only political threads since the popular presidential politics began this past year, prior to that it was WMDs. When he titled the thread, well I didn't think anything like you... nor did I read his thread until late Monday.
-SW

Yeah, I want to have a respectful conversation.

I guess you are right about Pat Tillman, just a guy that enlisted in the army, nothing else is unique about him or worthy of mention.

He's definately not much of a patriot compaired to "thousands" of others......which is quite hypocritical of you to say, isn't it?  Isn't your point that they are all equal? Yet you put others above that "football player" who enlisted.

Offline stratman

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2004, 12:03:12 AM »
Originally posted by Gnslngr
/all I can say is tillman is a better man then I.

I ended my contract w/ the Marine Corps after being Re-activated for 9/11.   My wife was pregnant at the time and my country called...but all they did was treat me like a reservist and send me to hawaii to stand a security post for some airfield......how selfish of me.

I signed up orriginally back in 96  I still had time to give in the IRR to complain about my specific situation

the truth is I wasnt in harms way...pat tillman was...I served and so did he but who was the bigger man.

I respect the man and pray for his family  I didnt do much with my calling...he did

Sir you served and that enough Thank you
Semper Fi

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2004, 12:03:50 AM »
"Patriotism Defined" doesn't mean it's the one true definition of patriotism.  At least to me. It means ONE example of patriotism, a good one, defined, out of many.

This is about semantics. I usually get suckered into this type of thing too. Don't do it at a party though, the chicks hate it.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2004, 12:06:47 AM »
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 12:09:31 AM by Sixpence »
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

Offline stratman

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2004, 12:10:46 AM »
Naw sixpence the one I saw had pictures of the fallen soldiers It really put a face to the young people who died.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2004, 12:11:24 AM »
Originally posted by stratman
Naw sixpence the one I saw had pictures of the fallen soldiers It really put a face to the young people who died.

Did you post it?

Offline stratman

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2004, 12:12:27 AM »
Originally posted by Sixpence
Did you post it?

No I cant find the darn link :mad:

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2004, 12:16:32 AM »
Steve, you're right... but its the media sensation and those who run with the ball that are irritating, to say the least.

He was a man and a hero, no more so than any other man in the field. Making him a media icon is simply going with the popular flow and driving the media to find more stories akin to that.

Nuke, if you wanted to have a "respectful" conversation you wouldn't have singled me out. There was atleast one other person who said what I said, but in more words and less concise - of course he served so you couldn't say, "Hey ass, I will destroy you now". At the same time, I posted remarks that were directly related to the thread's subject/title. Then, you decided to make a new thread because you knew when you saw the title that it wasn't about Tillman - and about Patriotism defined... about Tillman.

At the same time, you state that I view Tillman as less of a patriot than the hundreds of thousands of millions of men/soldiers that came before him - when in fact I was stating that those same men/soldiers were in fact just as much as patriotism defined as he was. Thereby, in the roundabout way, achieving what I intended in the first post - that he was no more "Patriotism defined" than those fine men that came before him. He was more of a man/patriot than the NFL players, but thats different than saying he was "Patriotism defined".
-SW

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2004, 12:25:59 AM »
Steve, you're right... but its the media sensation and those who run with the ball that are irritating, to say the least.

He was a man and a hero, no more so than any other man in the field. Making him a media icon is simply going with the popular flow and driving the media to find more stories akin to that.

Nuke, if you wanted to have a "respectful" conversation you wouldn't have singled me out. There was atleast one other person who said what I said, but in more words and less concise - of course he served so you couldn't say, "Hey ass, I will destroy you now". At the same time, I posted remarks that were directly related to the thread's subject/title. Then, you decided to make a new thread because you knew when you saw the title that it wasn't about Tillman - and about Patriotism defined... about Tillman.

At the same time, you state that I view Tillman as less of a patriot than the hundreds of thousands of millions of men/soldiers that came before him - when in fact I was stating that those same men/soldiers were in fact just as much as patriotism defined as he was. Thereby, in the roundabout way, achieving what I intended in the first post - that he was no more "Patriotism defined" than those fine men that came before him. He was more of a man/patriot than the NFL players, but thats different than saying he was "Patriotism defined".
-SW

you know what, when did I single you out and say "I'm going to destroy you? lol, you must be drinking or something to read that into my post.

I quoted you and posted in a new thread so Pat Tillman's thread wouldn't be derailed. Then you presume to be able to read my mind and tell me why I posted a new thread? Are you not understanding that a thread's title does not always denote it's subject? Take this thread for example.....what is this thread's subject, hmmm?

The other thread, titled "Patriotism Defined" was in fact a thread about Pat Tillman, not on the definiation of Patriotism. In fact I saw no post that attempted to debate or define patriotism in there, but I'll bet if it derailed into that and took away from the SUBJECT, PAT TILLMAN, I  bet Skuzzy would remove the people responsible.

Is the SUBJECT of the thread "GEEKS GEEKS" about geeks, or is it Dungeons and Dragons?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 12:32:54 AM by NUKE »

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2004, 12:37:35 AM »
LOL <-- those are nice touches.

You singled out my post for your new thread, which followed a post stating something quite similiar.

The statement I made in quotes was intended as humor, not to be taken literally. As for your thread subject, it accurately describes the first part of your thread. You took it to another area on your own. What is stupifying to me, is that you still do not realise that a thread's subject (check out where you place the title, aka the subject) is a thread's title and what its supposed to be about.

If I were to say, Jesus defined: you'd expect Jesus? Or... he is like a Jesus that hundreds of thousands of millions are just like?

As for your last paragraph, look up the definition of "subject". Check out where a thread title is "posted". If I posted a thread that's subject was, "Operating Systems Defined"... then posted about Unix... well, I didn't actually post about the subject in its entirety.
-SW

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2004, 12:43:04 AM »
LOL <-- those are nice touches.

If I were to say, Jesus defined: you'd expect Jesus? Or... he is like a Jesus that hundreds of thousands of millions are just like?

As for your last paragraph, look up the definition of "subject". Check out where a thread title is "posted". If I posted a thread that's subject was, "Operating Systems Defined"... then posted about Unix... well, I didn't actually post about the subject in its entirety.
-SW

You are the one that doesnt get it. How often is a threads title the actual subject in here? There could be a thread titled "Jesus Defined" and when you click on the first post, it could be about a talking dog.

I could title a book  "Rainbows" and have the subject be about global warming. You are the one that does not understand what a subect is and what a title is, regardless of what the field is called when you label a thread.

And I started a new thread because I wanted to reply and debate with you, but did not want to derail the Pat Tillman thread. Now you undertstand at least that, I hope.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 12:45:40 AM by NUKE »