Author Topic: Got my Nikon D70 today!!!  (Read 2187 times)

Offline Pollock

• Nickel Member
Got my Nikon D70 today!!!
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2004, 11:01:43 AM »
Wow niiiice camera ! I may upgrade in a few years.  I have an OLYMPUS C-2100 (aka the UZI) had for about 3 years now, I highly reccommend this camera to anyone interested in starting a hobby with DSLR, you can still get them on ebay for around 400 bucks. It is a great camera to snap airshows even if it is only 2mega pix.  heres a reveiw

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusc2100uz/

here is a link to ebays listings

http://search.ebay.com/olympus-c-2100_W0QQfromZR8QQsatitleZolympusQ20cQ2d2100QQsokeywordredirectZ1

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2004, 06:11:22 PM »
So far so good.

Mine does not seem to have a moire problem, maybe just a tiny tiny bit that I may be imagining,  or a backfocus problem as best I can tell.

But I have a lot more learning to do.

:)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 06:13:46 PM by GRUNHERZ »

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2004, 07:03:43 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
So far so good.

Mine does not seem to have a moire problem, maybe just a tiny tiny bit that I may be imagining,  or a backfocus problem as best I can tell.

But I have a lot more learning to do.

:)

When you do take a few snaps of your town and post them, be good to see. Hope to buy a DSLR soon and do the same.

...-Gixer

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2004, 08:33:19 PM »
Originally posted by Torque
Waaa?..... just use photoshop.

Tried that with color prints. Doesn't have the same warmth. If you greyscale it, looks flat. If you export a color channel (green seems to work best) the lighting looks wierd. You can get some funny looking animated gifs if you scroll through all three channels though.

Was in Ritz today dropping off rolls for a scrapbook I'm putting together and asked about the D70. Saleswoman told me I'd need to replace the lenses and not just the body to get a similar setup to my N80 now. Cost would be close to 3k according to her. So, I'll be sticking with film for a while yet it looks like.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2004, 09:44:21 PM »
Originally posted by Halo
Jigsaw, check individual digital camera models to find which if any  let you choose effects other than color.  My old Sony Digital Mavica (shot only 1024x768 max on 3.5 floppy disk) offered negative, sepia, b&w, and solarize options.

I never used them, and apparently most people don't since I think you'll find most digital cameras stick to color only.  Try Sony first -- maybe it still offers those effects in its newer cameras.  

My fav digital cameras remain the color-only Nikon Coolpix 995 and 775, both superceded by newer models.

The Mavica does the same thing that many photo programs can do, nothing magical.  I have a newer Mavica at work and I hate it.
Its a big bulky overpriced POS.  My little Cannon digital Elph out performs it in every way, except it can't record onto a floppy or take sepia pictures - whoopty doo.  I am not impressed with Sony cameras.  Even their memory and batteries  cost 50% more than their competition.  

eskimo
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 09:47:06 PM by eskimo2 »

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2004, 09:52:22 PM »
Originally posted by jigsaw
Tried that with color prints. Doesn't have the same warmth. If you greyscale it, looks flat. If you export a color channel (green seems to work best) the lighting looks wierd. You can get some funny looking animated gifs if you scroll through all three channels though.

Was in Ritz today dropping off rolls for a scrapbook I'm putting together and asked about the D70. Saleswoman told me I'd need to replace the lenses and not just the body to get a similar setup to my N80 now. Cost would be close to 3k according to her. So, I'll be sticking with film for a while yet it looks like.

I have a program that is inferior to photoshop and it can give a picture any look, color or effect that a mavica or film camera with filters or special film can.

Spend $500 on a digital camera, you'l save that $500 in film and processing in very little time.

eskimo

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2004, 10:17:35 PM »
Jigsaw, why would you need to buy new lenses? Are they really old? Is it because of the 1.5 multiplier?

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2004, 01:47:25 AM »
Originally posted by eskimo2
I have a program that is inferior to photoshop and it can give a picture any look

Spend $500 on a digital camera, you'l save that $500 in film and processing in very little time.

What's it called? It might be worth my looking in to. I agree on the cost savings. Since I've gotten back on the photo wagon, I can see where film processing would get quite pricey.

Jigsaw, why would you need to buy new lenses? Are they really old? Is it because of the 1.5 multiplier?

Current lenses are the Quantaray's that came with the N80 kit back in December 03. I was thinking they should work fine since it was still a Nikon body but, she was saying I'd need a new set "because it's a digital lense." I'm not real up on knowledge for high end digi stuff, so I wasn't sure. Thinking about trying to find a more experienced sales person to talk to next time I'm in there that I can get more info from. I knew about the 1.5 multiplier, but that's about where my knowledge ends on the difference.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2004, 01:52:22 AM »
From what I know 35mm lenses should work on DSLRS...

Now what some manufaturers have done is to produce lenses specifically for DSLRS but that doesnt mean regular 35mm lense wont work on digital cameras.

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2004, 02:25:40 AM »
From what I know 35mm lenses should work on DSLRS...

Now what some manufaturers have done is to produce lenses specifically for DSLRS but that doesnt mean regular 35mm lense wont work on digital cameras.

Be careful on 3rd party lenses. Because of the backward engineering, some are not compatible with the newer digital SLRs (autofocus and such).
For example, some older Sigma lenses had compatability issues and can't be re-chipped to the newer DSLRs.
When OEM camera makers design a new camera, they make sure it works with their own line of lenses, not the aftermarket ones.
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2004, 03:30:50 AM »
Originally posted by SaburoS
Be careful on 3rd party lenses. Because of the backward engineering, some are not compatible with the newer digital SLRs (autofocus and such).
For example, some older Sigma lenses had compatability issues and can't be re-chipped to the newer DSLRs.
When OEM camera makers design a new camera, they make sure it works with their own line of lenses, not the aftermarket ones.

Guess I could take one of my lenses to the store or have them pull out one like it and see if it works ok.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2004, 08:48:48 AM »
Originally posted by jigsaw
What's it called? It might be worth my looking in to. I agree on the cost savings. Since I've gotten back on the photo wagon, I can see where film processing would get quite pricey.

Current lenses are the Quantaray's that came with the N80 kit back in December 03. I was thinking they should work fine since it was still a Nikon body but, she was saying I'd need a new set "because it's a digital lense." I'm not real up on knowledge for high end digi stuff, so I wasn't sure. Thinking about trying to find a more experienced sales person to talk to next time I'm in there that I can get more info from. I knew about the 1.5 multiplier, but that's about where my knowledge ends on the difference.

The program that I use most is called MGI PhotoSuite 4.  I’m not even sure where I got it; I think it may have come with my old HP camera that I bought in 2000.  I’ve seen and tried out a number of programs that were free with cameras: (my Cannon, and at work an Olympus & a Sony) as well as a few others.  The light freebie Photoshop program is comparable, but I have yet to use the full blown Adobe Photoshop.  From what I’ve seen and read, Adobe Photoshop is as good as it gets (for regular consumers) but it’s also pretty spendy.  Even though I haven’t seen one, I can’t imagine that there are not plenty of other photo editing programs that are every bit as good as MGI, and also cheap.  Word of warning however, a lot of these programs have their own file management systems that do not have anything in common with Windows.  I can’t imagine why in the world they would think that a Windows computer user would want to relearn new terminology and a new file locating concept, it’s really annoying.  In one program it took me over 30 minutes to locate my flash reader and then another 10 to realize that you couldn’t select files with the mouse, you had to use the keyboard arrows.  WTF were those programmers thinking?

The bottom line is: MGI is good and cheap.
Probably many others are also good and cheap.
There are some pretty poor programs out there as well.

Cost effectiveness:
I have a degree in photography.  Even so, my wife and I would take about 4 months to shoot a roll of film.  I just hated paying through the nose for film and processing.  In 2000 we bought the cheapest 2 meg. camera that we could find (HP 315) and a decent printer (HP 932C).  Since then, we take dozens of pictures every week, sometimes even dozens a day.  It completely changes the way you think about taking pictures.  Want a great picture of something?  Take 100 shots and pick one.  It’ll cost you 17 cents for the 8 ½  x 11 photo quality paper that you print the best shot on.  Save that shot on your hard drive, erase the flash memory, reuse it 1,000,000 more times.  I have a complete B&W darkroom setup that I will probably never use again because I can do everything faster, cheaper and better on my PC.  

I sold all of my high end film cameras in 96 when I realized what was going to happen to film photography when digital took over.  I miss my 180 degree fisheye lens, and nothing else.

eskimo

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2004, 12:34:53 PM »
Great points, Eskimo.  I abandoned my faithful Nikon and Canon 35mm cameras for good after getting the digital Nikon 775 and 995.  Now can shoot frames the way the legendary Life photographers blazed through film rolls.  

At a recent orchid show took more than 200 pics without even realizing it, and incredibly easy and fast to weed, organize, and share the best via e-mail.  

Totally agree too about cumbersome bundled photo management programs with some digital cameras.  Much better to just use Windows photo management.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2004, 01:31:51 PM »
Since i have my nikon SQ i'm realy getting to love the hobby.

Today i made a lot of photo's and macro photo's.

Getting the sense of light and setup

there is gonna be a lot to explore and experiment.

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2004, 03:08:11 PM »
I can't help it im to enthousiastic :)