Author Topic: HO's  (Read 2290 times)

Offline heatedpitot

• Zinc Member
HO's
« on: May 16, 2004, 09:28:36 AM »
After 8 months of online play at irregular times, some times short periods of online play, other times moderate amounts of time I have something I need to say to HiTech Creations about their game play.

I am by no means an expert of Flight Sims, but undoubtedly this has been the very best one I have seen or/and played, therefore I would like to say THANK YOU to all those involved in producing Aces High.

It is as close to REAL WWII combat as one can have in virtual reality.  All the modeling of the GV's, CV's and Aircraft are as close to REAL as I imagine someone could expect in virtuality.

HOWEVER, there is one thing I'd like to comment on.  I have had 30+ years of Air Traffic Control experience and a few hundred hours of flight time and I have seen very, very few MID-AIR collisions between two aircraft that are surviveable by any or all occupants of those aircraft.

Having said this, it is my conviction that both aircraft AND pilots should suffer KILLS in AHII.  In this manner, it can keep the complaining down or either elimanate it entirely about who HO'ed whom.  I am also aware of LAG or DROPPED PACKETS, but nevertheless, if all things are equal, there should be NO survivors of HO's.

Lastly, I have spoken to a couple of the folks at TRACKIR and it seems that all that is necessary to have TRACKIR work in AHII is one or two files, one of which, I believe is a DLL type file.  I see no reason to exclude this software from being enabled in AHII.  It certainly would make HiTech Creations " Aces High" the ultimate Flight Sim available today, bar none.

Thank You very much

SS10
in the Great Dismal Swamp in the Great state of North Carolina!

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
HO's
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 01:05:43 PM »
For both planes to be "hit" in a HO merge both peoples FE must show the "hit". That isn't the case the majority of time due to lag and other factors.

The easy example to give,is running into the con your shooting at. You hit him on your FE. His FE doesn't see it. His plane won't be damaged.

The way of the net.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline whels

• Silver Member
HO's
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 04:02:12 PM »
Originally posted by nopoop
For both planes to be "hit" in a HO merge both peoples FE must show the "hit". That isn't the case the majority of time due to lag and other factors.

The easy example to give,is running into the con your shooting at. You hit him on your FE. His FE doesn't see it. His plane won't be damaged.

The way of the net.

if i cant ram and do damage to the enemy plane where i see it on my FE, then how can i shoot the plane and do damage where i see it on my FE?  double standard programming.  either its where i see and can hit it , or its not. not sometimes is sometimes not.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
HO's
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 04:28:51 PM »
Whels it IS a double standard by choice.

Just think of how much fun this game would be if you could intentionally ram someone..

I'll pass. You think suicide porkers are a problem ??

A whole new pastime would be created for the dweebs.  And believe me it would be a problem from the first instant it was implemented.
nopoop

Offline whels

• Silver Member
HO's
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2004, 04:39:34 PM »
Originally posted by nopoop
Whels it IS a double standard by choice.

Just think of how much fun this game would be if you could intentionally ram someone..

I'll pass. You think suicide porkers are a problem ??

A whole new pastime would be created for the dweebs.  And believe me it would be a problem from the first instant it was implemented.

collision model is broke. many many people have gotten damage
when Visually they miss the enemy plane, ive had same, and ive also gotten damage to plane  on opposite side the enemy passed me, no gun fire. plane passed me on left, lost right wing.
if u cant trust what u see on FE screen then disable collision. better then arbitarryly handing out damage that shouldnt be.

i want collision but  both FEs must say yes to collide to get damage. and both get damage.  the 1 sided bs like KS, must go.

either punish both in KS cause BOTH are at fault or change KS to something diff.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
HO's
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2004, 05:33:45 PM »
consider the alternative -
you avoid coliding with the other guy, but still die to collision because on his FE you colided.

no thanks.

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
HO's
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2004, 05:39:53 PM »
Really I don't think there is a problem here with the collision bubble. It works well, I rarely collide and when I do it's because I hit something, and I see the collision on my FE.

That isn't the case elsewhere. Just saying.
nopoop

Offline heatedpitot

• Zinc Member
HO's Ref: nopoop,whels,bozon
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 08:04:16 AM »
The intent of my posting was not to open the old debate of HO's, rather it was directed to HiTech to see if possibly "new code" could be written into the game where an invisible "bubble" would surround each aircraft so that when this "bubble" was contacted by another "bubble" of another aircraft, then both would be destroyed and both players would be charged with "a death".

Whether intentional or unintentional, enemy or friendly, when the mass to two aircraft come in contact with each other at closure rates of 300 + MPH very few survive the COLLISION, which was the SUBJECT of my initial post. I only used the "HO's"  to get HiTech's attention and apologize to those that responded to my first post.

HOWEVER, there is one thing I'd like to comment on. I have had 30+ years of Air Traffic Control experience and a few hundred hours of flight time and I have seen very, very few MID-AIR collisions between two aircraft that are surviveable by any or all occupants of those aircraft.

Once again,

Thank You,

SS10
in the Great Dismal Swamp in the Great state of North Carolina!

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
TrackIR Dll
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 08:08:34 AM »
Head-on smed-on, I want those TIR dlls!!!

PLEASE!!!

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
Re: HO's Ref: nopoop,whels,bozon
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004, 09:37:59 AM »
Originally posted by SS10
...it was directed to HiTech to see if possibly "new code" could be written into the game where an invisible "bubble" would surround each aircraft so that when this "bubble" was contacted by another "bubble" of another aircraft, then both would be destroyed and both players would be charged with "a death...

...and what happens in a very close quarter knife fight, full flaps,  in tight, fighting your plane as much as your enemy's, then...

...BOOOM!!!!  the bubbles touch.

uhm, no thanks.  If I fly to avoid your plane and do so effectively on my FE, no way should I be penalized for a collsion on yours.

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
HO's
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2004, 09:46:40 AM »
I won't look em up the links, etc again, but frontal attacks were often used in actual combat.

Offline whels

• Silver Member
HO's
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2004, 09:59:58 AM »
Originally posted by bozon
consider the alternative -
you avoid coliding with the other guy, but still die to collision because on his FE you colided.

no thanks.

Bozon

Bozon u still dont comprehend.

both FEs have t o see the collision to  hand out damage, if
1 says yes and 1 no, then no damage is taken.

as it is right now, i can visually miss the enemy plane
and get damage, ive seen it many times.

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
HO's
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2004, 02:02:15 PM »
Originally posted by whels
Bozon u still dont comprehend.

both FEs have t o see the collision to  hand out damage, if
1 says yes and 1 no, then no damage is taken.

as it is right now, i can visually miss the enemy plane
and get damage, ive seen it many times.

Im with ya Bro

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
HO's
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2004, 04:13:54 PM »
Whels, I think your full of it. I don't belive there is a case where you can collide and your fe didn't.  All thow it's always posible that there is some bug around causing this, I very much doubt it, I don't belive it just do to the time the system has on it, vs number of times anyone has said what you said.

HiTech

Offline whels

• Silver Member
HO's
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2004, 05:53:43 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Whels, I think your full of it. I don't belive there is a case where you can collide and your fe didn't.  All thow it's always posible that there is some bug around causing this, I very much doubt it, I don't belive it just do to the time the system has on it, vs number of times anyone has said what you said.

HiTech

HT u can think what u want, after all u made the game.

bit i have missed planes visually and taken damage from collision, and i have also passed through planes ded center  and not taken damage.

yeasterday F6 missing 1 wing flopping to my right, took my left wing off.

im just reporting what ive seen, and others have seen same. but most just chose to not report it cause msot think it wont do anygood.