Author Topic: coverage of Ronald Reagan's death has been excessive,  (Read 1291 times)

Offline mosgood

• Silver Member
coverage of Ronald Reagan's death has been excessive,
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2004, 02:12:25 PM »
Well, I'll tell ya.

If the head guy in Russia would have said that, there are a lot of people here that would have been pretty upset too.  That's true.

What would I have thought...?  I would probably have thought about whether the guy who said it was off his rocker or not....

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2004, 02:12:29 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
True. You inflicted an incredibly painful, totally unworkable and dehumanizing political and economic system on millions of people, depriving them of a multitude of the pleasures of everyday living.

Well, at least you tried to totally screw up the world.

Toad, I love the things they installed into your brain in the military :)

You know nothing about life in the USSR, I have to say this again and again.

I envy your irrational, almost religious faith in your twisted values.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2004, 02:26:00 PM »
USSR? No, never went there.

Been to CZ quite a bit though and met a lot of folks. Didn't meet ANY that were glad to have been conquered by you Soviets, didn't meet any that wanted you back and didn't meet any the really had anything good to say about you folks at all.

I suspect most of your conquered satellite states feel the same way. Latvian Love? I think not! Hungarian Hankering for the Rodina? Not likely.

You guys *)*&@#$% Eastern Europe. But you can deny that too.

Heck, you have to; that much truth would drive you to suicide.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2004, 02:29:50 PM »
Originally posted by rpm371
Normally I think Rather is on the mark, ...

Never.

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2004, 02:52:50 PM »
Originally posted by Boroda
"My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."

:rofl :rofl :rofl  loved that one
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2004, 03:11:19 PM »
Boroda!!! Comrade!!! Resist Toad's American Imperialist Lies!!! Za Rodinu!!!!

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2004, 03:15:48 PM »
And for the rest of us, enjoy!

Copy and paste this link to hear the file.  :)

http://www.wavsource.com/people/politics/reagan_bomb_x.wav

What a great man, a great president and most important of all, a great leader!  

Ronald Reagan

« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 03:18:08 PM by GRUNHERZ »

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2004, 03:16:09 PM »
Originally posted by Boroda
All the answers above are from the people who praise Reagan for "winning the cold war".

You are right. You didn't win it. We lost. We tried to do impossible for 50 years, and at least we tried.

I just wonder what moral and mental decay can lead to jokes like "We begin bombing in five minutes". There are some things I'll never understand :(

And, if you didn't understand it (you guys are quite predictable, selective filter installed) - I am angry at Russian media, that says that Reagan "destroyed USSR" as if he have done us a favour, and doesn't ever mention this beautiful speach.

Borda, Reagan was well known for his sense of humor. If you can't see the funny in the joke and you know it's a joke, you just don't understand his humor. That's fine, I never really got Yakov Smirnoff.

I think Mikhail Gorbachev desreves a great deal of credit in ending the cold war. He was able to see the Soviet Union could not afford continue to compete in an arms race with the US. It would bankrupt the country. Reagan maxed out the US credit card, went "All In" and played a nice bluff with "Star Wars" to win the cold war poker game. I believe everyone came out a winner in that coming to an end and both men should share the credit.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2004, 03:20:25 PM »
Boroda sees Gorbachov as an evil traitor who ruined the soviet dream state...

In fact I think Boroda is so far out there that even considers Lenin to be a traitor in some way....

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2004, 03:30:38 PM »
Blather and Brokejaw?   Is anyone surprised that they are pissed that Regan is taking away from their lefty agenda?

Aren't they canadians anyway?

lazs

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2004, 03:31:36 PM »
I may not agree with the mans politics.

but there is no arguing that he was one of the most (if not the most) popular presidents.

I also have to admit that he seemed to genuinely believe what he said.

like any news story, they'll stop covering it when people stop watching.  until then seems like a lot of people want to morn his death.  Just like everyone else,  I can always switch to another channel if I don't like the coverage I'm seeing.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2004, 06:40:08 PM »
Nice picture of Ronnie. He always wore a nice suit, and he always tied his tie nicely. I think he probably used this knot to achieve the triangular shaped knot - which he always had...

That's the Pratt knot, and the one I always used - before I got to the suit burning stage in life.

Ronnie.

Good to see Patti Davis comforting Nancy. Seems like they've made their peace. I read Patti's book in 1994. Cracking read. The first three chapters were about child abuse - written in the first person...

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2004, 06:47:07 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
Blather and Brokejaw?   Is anyone surprised that they are pissed that Regan is taking away from their lefty agenda?

Aren't they canadians anyway?

lazs

You're thinking of Peter Jennings.

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2004, 06:51:13 PM »
Beet1e, did you ever read Nancy's reply? I think it was titled "My Turn". I haven't read either, but am working on my reading list for the next trip to the sandbox.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2004, 08:03:29 PM »
I only wish we had a man like him as president today.  Not a slam against Jr, but Jr is no Ronald Reagan...thats for sure.  Thats for danged sure.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns