Author Topic: frame rate sucks  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
fraame rate sucks
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2004, 05:41:43 PM »
I never said the 5200 was a bad card.  I said it is the slowest of the FX line, and it is.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline AKWarp

• Copper Member
      • http://10mbfree.com/edlance/
fraame rate sucks
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2004, 05:47:58 PM »
The performance of your system overall in AH depends most heavily on two things:  The CPU and the video card.  Using a lower speed CPU with a higher end video card most likely will not garner you any more video performance (and vice versa).   Case in point:  My Athlon XP 2100+ system.  I get nearly identical frame rates and performance (at the same graphics settings) whether I use my GeForce3 TI-4200 or RADEON 9800 Pro video card, even though the RADEON is a lot more "powerful".  In this case, the Athlon XP 2100+ processor is the bottle neck.

On my new Athlon 64 3200 system, the GeForce3 TI-4200 performance is nearly double what it was in the XP 2100+ system.  In average graphics situations (i.e. no more than a few planes nearby) I'm getting 150+ fps with 4x anti-aliasing turned on (anisotropic filtering and mip mapping off).  With the RADEON 9800 Pro, the same settings yield a fairly consistent 250-300 fps (and I've briefly seen 425+ in clear sky with nothing around).  Heavy graphics drag everything down, but the RADEON will usually keep the frame rate above 100 no matter what's going on.

The RADEON on the XP 2100+ platform rarely exceeded 150 fps and was down in the 40's in heavy graphics.

So, the CPU is very important to frame rate, as much so as the video card.

System memory is important to a point.  If you are running less than 512MB, then adding more memory may help, but after 512MB, you won't see much difference.

As Skuzzy pointed out, the 256MB cards use slower DDR memory than the 128MB cards...slower being a relative term here.  The DDR memory used in video cards is faster than the DDR memory you use in your system.  The newer video cards are using stuff on the order of a few nanoseconds.

If you are trying to decide between a 128MB video card and a 256MB card, the 128MB is the way to go.  There aren't any games (that I'm aware of) that make full use of 256MB of video memory...not to say there aren't any out there, but AH is definitely not one of them.  Some of the hardcore Quake gamers, or Half-life, etc may see a performance gain with the 256MB cards, but for the most part, 128MB of video memory is plenty (and faster!).

The settings you choose for your video will have a great impact on frame rate as well.   When you start using anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering, and mip mapping, things go downhill quickly.  Try turning off anisotropic filtering and mip mapping and at most, use 2x anti-aliasing.  If that doesn't help, turn off anti-aliasing completely as well.  Set your video to lean toward performance instead of quality and you'll begin to see the trade offs.  Experiment a little and you'll find a happy medium.

If you have an XP 2400+ cpu, then consider the GeForce3 TI-4200 (about $65 these days) or better card and you should have pretty good performance all around.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
fraame rate sucks
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2004, 06:02:57 PM »
all of you posting FR over 120 (the max i know of for a moniter refresh rate) are seeing false readings.

it is not possible to get a frame rate higher than your moniter refresh rate (how many times per second it draws the screen).

you really need to turn ON vsync.

if your moniter is at 85hz then the max FR you will ever really get is 85. ditto with 120hz, 75hz, 72hz, or even 60hz.

the biggest question is can you get a stable 85 FR for example.

thats the trouble im getting into. FR is fine in the 70's mid air, but put more than 6 planes in the field of view and im down to 22-35 FR.

oh well good luck on it all.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline sb1086

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
fraame rate sucks
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2004, 06:34:16 PM »
well I guess a slow vid card and a slow computer make a good slow pair LOL.
Darn computer is only 1 gig in speed. But for what i use it for I guess I can consider it fast cause its faster than I am LOl

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
fraame rate sucks
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2004, 09:38:02 PM »
ok guess the slowness with the fps's was just because we were in beta and i fiddled with some graphic controls, but i still get crappy picture whilst dogfighting

Offline yb11

• Copper Member
fraame rate sucks
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2004, 10:24:47 PM »
i played bata had no prb with fr 75 to 90    tonite was doing good to get 50 fr not to speek of the CTD i got every  30 tto 40 min and whats with the fuel (we/squad mates) pork a bace to try to slow down the bish hit all fuel and its still 125% and the guns are way off           lets go back to bata was much better

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
fraame rate sucks
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2004, 03:38:21 AM »
i was playing and i was at 60 FR the i jumped to the tower in a base with a few cons and bam my frame rate was at 7 the highest it got was 12.  same happened to my squad mate.  i'm running a 9600SE as i read thats a mid range card.  dunno how else to get them up again its been like this ever since i got on.:mad:
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
fraame rate sucks
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2004, 09:15:07 AM »
Originally posted by nirvana
i was playing and i was at 60 FR the i jumped to the tower in a base with a few cons and bam my frame rate was at 7 the highest it got was 12.  same happened to my squad mate.  i'm running a 9600SE as i read thats a mid range card.  dunno how else to get them up again its been like this ever since i got on.:mad:

we are not alone:( :mad: :( :confused:

could be good post

something has to be done

Offline JAZBO1

• Zinc Member
fraame rate sucks
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2004, 10:57:49 AM »
Somethings got to be amiss with your setting bro. I have a to say the least a mid-range puter and the lowest I have ever got to is 25fps in a tank with about 10 others around me and about 10 planes above me. I usually stay rite around 60fps depending on which plane Im flying (yes this does matter alot) but never droped below 55fps even in a giant furball. mabye somethings runnin in the background of your puter doin this. I know any anti-virus program runnin messes thing up espacaily internet secruity. I shut off ALL extras when I fly. If we are both online at the sametime mabye I can lend ya a hand:aok
Jazbo

Offline sb1086

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
fraame rate sucks
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2004, 05:42:33 PM »
I get the same fps in AH2 on line and offline both, Depending on the room, I get up to 70 fps with a refresh rate of 75, but I have had real low fps in a furball, and I still get 4 fps on carriers no matter if theres other people around or not, both on line and off line. I think its just the slow computer

EMachine 1 gig.
Directx 9.0
NVidea 5200fx,
256 meg memory
antivirus off.
Messanger off
error reporting off
everything else on

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
fraame rate sucks
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2004, 06:02:58 PM »
for some strange reason? when i upped an 262 today my fps dropped to 19 and there was nobody around?

Offline AKWarp

• Copper Member
      • http://10mbfree.com/edlance/
fraame rate sucks
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2004, 01:47:53 AM »
JB73, that's not necessarily true.  The point of running with the vsync off is to see maximum frame rates produced by your video card.  This is a good indicator of the overall performance your card is capable of.

The higher the frame rate it shows, then the better it will be in heavier graphics situations.   Think of it more as an indicator than anything.

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
fraame rate sucks
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2004, 06:41:03 AM »
Agree with Warp on the CPU thing. I have an ATI 9700 Pro / 768mb SDRAM and average 35-65 fps --- but I have a P3 1gig processor. I'm almost positive if i had a 2gig + processor I'd average 85-100 area. Don't need it tho, anything over 30 fps is fine by me. I'm sure as they add more candy I'll have to upgrade (been thinking about it sometime) but I digress.

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
fraame rate sucks
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2004, 01:39:14 PM »
I'm not sure where I stand on this considering I may not be using my video card to it's full extent.  Here's my specs and my fps in AH2.

MSI KT4V Motherboard
1.5 Gig 333Mhz RAM
XP 2700+ CPU
Radeon 9800XT
SBLive Audigy 2 Platinum
Sony HMD A-400 Monitor Max Res 1600x1200
Adelphia 500/3mb

With the sliders all the way to the right, resolution 1280x1024 ground object slider all the way right and F1 set, 63 or so flying without much around then goes down to 40s over land and in the 30s when alot is going on.  Now if I set F2 my frame rates stay up in the 70s until a ton of stuff is going on.  Not bad but it helps my fps alot.  I just don't understand how and why with the system I have my fps are so low even with low resolution and details set to the right.  If your having problems though with your fps hit shift F2 and it helps alot.

Offline Dextry

• Copper Member
fraame rate sucks
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2004, 06:39:44 AM »
Originally posted by Cobra412
I'm not sure where I stand on this considering I may not be using my video card to it's full extent.  Here's my specs and my fps in AH2.

MSI KT4V Motherboard
1.5 Gig 333Mhz RAM
XP 2700+ CPU
Radeon 9800XT
SBLive Audigy 2 Platinum
Sony HMD A-400 Monitor Max Res 1600x1200
Adelphia 500/3mb

With the sliders all the way to the right, resolution 1280x1024 ground object slider all the way right and F1 set, 63 or so flying without much around then goes down to 40s over land and in the 30s when alot is going on.  Now if I set F2 my frame rates stay up in the 70s until a ton of stuff is going on.  Not bad but it helps my fps alot.  I just don't understand how and why with the system I have my fps are so low even with low resolution and details set to the right.  If your having problems though with your fps hit shift F2 and it helps alot.

Trash that computer and get a new one Cobra its old................lol j/k :lol