Author Topic: Invisible Tanks  (Read 1292 times)

Offline emodin

• Copper Member
Invisible Tanks
« on: June 17, 2004, 07:01:27 PM »
I was in a Panzer (then another Panzer, then a Tiger), and I could not see the enemy gvs shooting at me.  I had vis on the AP rounds incoming, but no vis on the unit shooting at me.  Location was the southern spawn point from the northern Vbase on central island on Ndisles map.  I moved further south in the Panzers, but sat on the spawn point in the Tiger.  

Several other nits reported the same problem.  I have screenshots and a recording of the incident (lost all three rides), but have no way to send them.

Note: AFTER one of the tanks that I had been shooting at started to move, it became visible.  And I am sure that he should have been in LOS due to the fact that he ricochetted several round of my Tiger.

And in the video, one of the Panzers looks like it's submerged in the terrian (although I was fast forwarding it before I got to that part).

VERY frustrating.

Offline DOWJackL

• Zinc Member
Invisible Tanks
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 10:17:58 PM »
I've been seeing the same stuff.  I had a panzer ranged in, in clear sight.  He turned toward me and disapeared.  I knew he was still there because I bounced a round off him.  But then I lost track of him.

Offline TrueKill

• Silver Member
Invisible Tanks
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 12:32:44 AM »
it happens when they take a supply happened to me about 10 times already

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Invisible Tanks
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 09:24:29 AM »
Seen the same thing. Panzer will be moving then dissappear and reappear a few mins later at another spot. I am thinking that they are being obscured by ground textures and that the layer order or sorting is at fault.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Invisible Tanks
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 09:40:50 AM »
what happens when you tweak your ground detail up to max?
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Invisible Tanks
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 09:41:17 AM »
what happens when you tweak your ground detail up to max?
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Invisible Tanks
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 12:04:28 PM »
Everything is at max
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Hwkeye

• Copper Member
Invisible Tanks
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 03:00:17 PM »
Actually Kev when you were killing me in a panzer vs. panzer fight three nights ago (at A13 I believe) I could not see you.   I could only see your rounds heading my way.  There was another panzer to your left closer to the base (and in the open) that was invisible as well. Obviously both of you could see me because you were  doing a very good job of killing me :)

I came back fighter and saw you tucked under a tree line.  Not sure if that plays a factor or not.  But I do know that I should have had line of sight on you from my vantage point on the hill as I approached your position.

I hope HT can fix this nasty little bug!

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Invisible Tanks
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 04:16:13 PM »
Any chance it might be related to video card drivers?  

I get the same problem with GVs winking in and out of existance, going to try updating my video card drivers to see if it has any effect.  

By the way, I've got a Radeon 9000 Pro, maybe it has something to do with the card.

Offline Hwkeye

• Copper Member
Invisible Tanks
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 04:51:43 PM »
I have the ATI 9800 XP and I updated my video drivers about a week ago.

Hwkeye

Offline emodin

• Copper Member
Invisible Tanks
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2004, 05:01:31 PM »
More info:  

Decided to try to do the GV thing again today.  Got in a Panzer, headed towards a town.  See what I think was a Tiger when in the commander's position.  Stop tank, jump to main gun, slew it around to where I spotted the tank when in pintle gun.  No tank visible.  Slew gun around to see if he might have moved.  Still no tank.  See round coming towards me from where I saw the tank originally while no enemy tank is visible from that location.  I die.

Comp:

P4 2.4GHz
256MB RAM
FX5200 Ultra 128MB w/ latest drivers

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Invisible Tanks
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2004, 06:10:21 PM »
Same thing happened to a bunch of us on the sfma map the other night.

We would spawn to the roof of the hanger and attempt to drive off but 2mex(?) was shooting us like beer bottles on a fence rail while completely invisible.  It was a race to see if we'd land on our top first or if he'd kill us before we could get off the roof.:eek:
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Invisible Tanks
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2004, 09:12:26 PM »
Where was your ground detail slider set. You will not see vehicles out side that distance.

For the next patch I have implemted a ground vis range, that makes the ground detail full range regardless of the slider setting.

HiTech

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
Invisible Tanks
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2004, 10:39:51 PM »
was watching pyro in a GV today he kept winking in and out. i have my range slider at max detail and object size are in the middle
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

Offline emodin

• Copper Member
Invisible Tanks
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2004, 11:40:23 AM »
Originally posted by hitech
Where was your ground detail slider set. You will not see vehicles out side that distance.

For the next patch I have implemted a ground vis range, that makes the ground detail full range regardless of the slider setting.

HiTech

I'm not sure what my slider was set to (it was default, but I can't tell what the range is for that-somewhere around 1-1.5 miles, I assume), but if that was what was causing it, I assume that I would not have been able to see the tank from the commander's position as well (detailed in my second post).

I have moved my ground detail slider to max when getting into GVs now, and it seems to help, but it's hard to tell if someone is not there unless they actually shoot at me and I notice it :)