Author Topic: Aircraft Voting Booth  (Read 2274 times)

Offline MarkVZ

• Copper Member
Aircraft Voting Booth
« on: May 08, 2000, 02:31:00 PM »
Hey guys,
After reading the "If you could only have one plane" thread, I set up a voting booth so that it would be easy to see which plane is wanted most in Aces High.

I am still working on the site, and it will be complete soon.  If you don't see the plane there that you like, don't panic, there's a feature to add items to vote for, although it may take a day or so, because I will screen all the applications before posting them, to avoid having anything inapropriate posted on our voting page.
It requires that you register to vote, and the option to register is at the top of the screen just before the voting. This way I can ensure that the vote comes out accurate, and not inflated by anybody cheating.  I will set it to allow each person to vote once a week in order to let people vote for multiple plane types in a  controlled way.  So vote for your favorite first, and in a week you'll be able to vote for your next favorite.

My new voting page can be found at:
 http://www.freevote.com/booth/ah
Enjoy!

I know the page is a bit bland, but if anyone wants to make me a background, feel free to  

Pyro, I am watching this carefully, and you will be able to trust the results  

------------------
Mark VanZwoll
33rd Strike Group

Offline Azrael

• Zinc Member
Aircraft Voting Booth
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2000, 02:35:00 PM »
Mark, the idea may be nice but why should I register for the 100,000th time again at the 100,000th web server just to add my vote? I'm registered here, and put my vote up here.

Az

Offline MarkVZ

• Copper Member
Aircraft Voting Booth
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2000, 02:47:00 PM »
Az,
It really doesn't take much time to register, and it's for the sake of eliminating cheating.
My other option was to set it to remember a person by IP address, buy anyone without a static IP can vote as many times as he can connect.
I found my page format to be a good way to keep track of the votes in a centralized location.
My guess was that if someone really wanted a plane in AH, they wouldn't mind spending 30 seconds to fill out a simple registration.

------------------
Mark VanZwoll
33rd Strike Group

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Aircraft Voting Booth
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2000, 02:55:00 PM »
Did it thnx mark.

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
Aircraft Voting Booth
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2000, 03:01:00 PM »
Bah, some heartless bastard grabbed Fatty as a VoterID.  Good thing I learnt more than 4 letters.

------------------
Fatty
Fat Drunk Bastards
"I ain't givin none of you bastards a hug who ain't bought me at least 6 beers."

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Aircraft Voting Booth
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2000, 03:07:00 PM »
Damn, now I have to decide, the Do335 or the P61....hmmmm, decisions decisions...if it looks like it won't fly, then I like the design!

BTW, I don't like fairness and democracy, I'd rather have the bribery system...HT/Pyro, what type of scotch was that?  I need to add a case of it to my internet shopping list..

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 05-08-2000).]

Offline MarkVZ

• Copper Member
Aircraft Voting Booth
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2000, 03:22:00 PM »
Ripsnort,
Next week you can vote for your second-favorite    

Note:
I only have the power to add or remove plane types, and I have no way of altering the vote.  I am trying to make this as fair and controlled as possible.
I encourage everyone to show their preference  in future AH aircraft, because it might make a difference.  Once again, if what you want isn't already on my quickly composed list, just enter it in the box at the bottom and I'll have it added by the next time I check my mail.

Pyro, this should give you a good idea of what the players want  

------------------
Mark VanZwoll
33rd Strike Group

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
Aircraft Voting Booth
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2000, 03:26:00 PM »
Don't worry, anyone who starts conspiracy theories about this has so much extra time on their hands that their vote should not be counted anyway  

------------------
Fatty
Fat Drunk Bastards
"I ain't givin none of you bastards a hug who ain't bought me at least 6 beers."

funked

Aircraft Voting Booth
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2000, 03:31:00 PM »
Blaaaaaaaaah if we do it democratically we'll just end up with some boring-ass US plane that has been done in 37 other games.  I guarantee.

Offline MarkVZ

• Copper Member
Aircraft Voting Booth
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2000, 03:34:00 PM »
Good point Fatty,
but I just didn't want anyone screaming that the vote was fixed and their favorite plane should be on top, blah blah blah  

I'm just keeping it well controlled so that some 262 dweeb (or whatever plane) doesn't come along and vote for it 50 times  

funked, if you notice, the do-335 is on top    I don't find that plane either boring or American  

------------------
Mark VanZwoll
33rd Strike Group

[This message has been edited by MarkVZ (edited 05-08-2000).]

Offline MarkVZ

• Copper Member
Aircraft Voting Booth
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2000, 03:53:00 PM »
OK guys, I just figured something out.
If you submit a new plane to add to the list, it automatically gives it a vote, and all I have to do is activate the plane.

So whoever added the KI-84, your vote has been counted and the KI-84 added.  Thanks!

------------------
Mark VanZwoll
33rd Strike Group

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Aircraft Voting Booth
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2000, 05:00:00 PM »
[SCREAMING]The voting is fixed.  Japanese aircraft didn't get names, just numbers.  P-61 Black Widow and Dornier Do-335 stand out much better than A7M3 or J7W1,  They should all get names, or none of them should.  E.g. P-61, A7M3 or Dornier Do-335 and J7W1 Shinden.[/SCREAMING]

The above is a joke.  

Sisu
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MarkVZ

• Copper Member
Aircraft Voting Booth
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2000, 05:38:00 PM »
Karnak,
I gave names to the ones that I knew the names for  
I got Shinden added to J7W1, but what is A7M3, just another zeke?  Also, who manufactured the A7Ms and the J7W1?

I know he was kidding but I'd like to know myself.

------------------
Mark VanZwoll
33rd Strike Group

Offline MarkVZ

• Copper Member
Aircraft Voting Booth
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2000, 05:40:00 PM »
Double post  

[This message has been edited by MarkVZ (edited 05-08-2000).]

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Aircraft Voting Booth
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2000, 06:36:00 PM »
MarkVZ, A7M was the Reppu.  Saburo Sakai was thrilled with it.  The following is a repost of some info I posted earlier:

A7M Reppu was not a souped up Zero any more than the P-51 was a souped up P-40. I was an entirely new aircraft. Mitsubishi could have delivered the A7M in late '43 or early '44 if the IJN had followed Mitsubishi's advice and let them use the 2000+ horsepower Mitsubishi engine to begin with. Instead they ordered them to use a less powerful engine from another company. When that didn't deliver the expected performance, the IJN orded them to redesign it with the Mitsubishi engine. By the time that version was done, tested and in production, there were only two months left and Japan was being bombed heavily. After only a few production A7Ms USAAF B-29s flattened the A7M factory. We didn't know that it was producing a fighter, that our own post war testing showed to be superior to the P-51 in all respects, until after the war. We just knew that it was a Japanese factory.

Sisu
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-