Author Topic: A View from the Eye of the Storm  (Read 13865 times)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
A View from the Eye of the Storm
« Reply #195 on: June 23, 2004, 11:35:57 PM »
Well...

(and I admit we're again getting a bit off track which is basically my fault... we're still discussing the ground rules it seems which is okay)....

It wasn't until I put into words "terrorists camps in Montana/Manitoba would be gone in a matter of hours" that it really became clear to me.

Because they really would be. It's not that big of a mystery. It would play out over the weekend on CNN, it would involve helicopters and hellfires, and that'd be it.

Yet...

There's a certain sense of (what's your word?) nebulousness (?) when it comes to the mid-east. It's the reason some prop up certain poli-sci profs as having insider knowledge . But Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia are a good deal smaller than the US and Canada.

Yet we're taking care of our *****. If they can't, they aren't trying.

By not trying to exterminate terrorists within their borders, they are harboring terrorists within their borders.

Chasing a beheader through the streets and shooting him in the back doesn't mean yer making strides against this.

This was only last week. There've been no examples from ANY mid-east country in this regard for.... well since WHEN?

Yet... "if a country harbors terrorists, the country's leadership will be considered as guilty as a terrorists."

That's clearly not happening.

Now to bring it on home, we have:

"But before you fight and win, by force or otherwise, you have to realize that you are in a war"

Either we don't realize we're in a war..... OR.... we do realize we're in a war but we don't know who we are at war WITH.

Both equally as crazy. And we STILL can't do anything with the author's proposed methods because we CLEARLY don't have a target it would seem.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #196 on: June 24, 2004, 09:31:24 AM »
Certain poli sci profs were used as an example of what an actual Saudi thinks about whether reform pressure is actually there. That particular one thinks there's so much pressure it amounts to a "regime change" attitude.  That's all the quote was ever intended to show but it was never evaluated in that light.

There has been US pressure on the Saudis to reform. The evidence is there, particularly in some of the "FU" comments made by the "religious" faction of the House of Saud.

Obviously, recent events (in the last year or so) have put internal pressure on the ruling monarchy to reform.

Terror attacks put pressure on rulers

Prince Saud al Faisal, the Saudi foreign minister, said in an interview Wednesday that the protracted terror campaign linked to al-Qaida was uniting Saudis behind reforms outlined by Saudi leaders in May 2003, days after the first terrorist attacks in the kingdom.

“We are not experimenting with reform,” said Prince Saud, a graduate of Princeton who is considered one of the most pro-Western members of the Saudi royal family. “We are moving with all deliberate speed.”

If they can't, they aren't trying.

Let's agree that they operate under slightly different real-world restrictions than the US and Canada, OK?

If either of our countries put an Alpha Strike on an A-Q camp in North America, there'd be rejoicing and happy wallowing in it on all our news networks. There'd be no negative religious reaction.

In SA, that not true. There clearly is a militant Islamic presence in SA and there is support amongst Muslim clerics and faithful for radical Islam.

I'm not saying they can't or shouldn't go after A-Q; rather, they have to do so a bit more carefully than we do. They have negative political considerations to deal with that are non-existent in our popoulations.

By not trying to exterminate terrorists within their borders, they are harboring terrorists within their borders.

By not actively hunting them with a level of enthusiasm judged by whom?

I agree basically with what you are saying, but where how do you determine at what level of enthusiasm we should say they are cooperating?

Imagine for a second Bush announcing "Country X is not pursuing A-Q with enough enthusiasm to satisfy us. A state of war now exists between the US and Country X."

Tell me what the UN/SC would say if we went there and made the "lack of enthusiasm" case for going to war with SA.

This all has to be tempered with reality, a knowledge of what's possible and what's not possible.

Further, even in WW2, enemies have to be prioritized. For example, FDR made the decision to put the most effort against Germany with the Pacific theater taking a decidedly lesser role with far less support.

Now, it's pretty obvious how our "two major wars at the same time" military is stretched thin by Afghanistan and Iraq on top of oru other commitments like South Korea and Bosnia.

So, even if we wanted to try and make the "War on SA" case in the UN/SC, I seriously doubt we could do it right now.

What then? Well, as long as they are moving the way you want them to go, why not wait see if they'll improve their "level of enthusiasm" to something acceptable?

Especially if they are helping you economically by stabilizing oil prices, another key factor in your ability to wage war at all, anywhere.

Either we don't realize we're in a war..... OR.... we do realize we're in a war but we don't know who we are at war WITH.

I think you can make the case for both of those statements. It may not be "black and white".

I doubt the American people fully realize the extent of this war. Perhaps another major strike or two in the US will focus the population.

Also, it's more than clear that the rest of the world doesn't see this as a widespread war against Western Civilization. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I think the terrorists themselves will have to confirm that. I also think that will take time. If they enjoy success, I'm sure they will dare greater things for Allah.

But also consider one other addendum to your statement. Perhaps we (the government) knows we're at war and knows exactly who we're at war with. Yet, they have to prioritize their threats and select appropriate courses of action for each. Given that the Saudis are beginning to move against A-Q, beginning to see the threat to their own royal necks, perhaps the government has decided to lower their priority and see if perhaps the need for war can be reduced/eliminated.

In short, just because you have a long list of enemies, that doesn't mean you should attack them all equally or even immediately. Some may need immediate direct military force. Some may be neutralized in other ways.

Don't have a target? I disagree. Right now, the major effort is in Iraq. Whether that was the best choice or smartest move is obviously debatable and has been beaten to death on this BBS. The secondary effort is in Afghanistan where we continue to hunt OBL, a worthy target IMO. Then I'm sure there are other more clandestine political and minor military operations going on that we don't read about in the news.

So, we have a target. I suspect as time goes by, some targets will be sufficiently neutralized and then attention will turn towards others that are currently further down the list.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #197 on: June 24, 2004, 09:43:57 AM »
"Yet... "if a country harbors terrorists, the country's leadership will be considered as guilty as a terrorists."

Like Orlando Bosch?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #198 on: June 24, 2004, 09:47:47 AM »
1990, Bush Sr.

It was wrong, even 14 years ago.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #199 on: June 24, 2004, 07:51:14 PM »
Heh, I'm sorry Toad but I'm afraid I can't find much here to disagree with you about...

The whole thing is a bit frustrating... including the current situation (which starts with an "I" and rhymes with sidetrack).

I think you're right... it's almost as if folks need another ugly reminder.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #200 on: June 24, 2004, 09:38:06 PM »

You're one of the few people here that can participate in rational debate.

Let's see... I should make that a backhanded compliment as other folks have shown me how to do..........

"When you have a mind to do so."

There, that should cover it.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #201 on: June 24, 2004, 09:48:19 PM »
Likewise, you know.

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
« Reply #202 on: June 24, 2004, 09:54:20 PM »
I can feel the love :D

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #203 on: June 24, 2004, 10:03:28 PM »
ah... nevermind. :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 10:23:33 PM by Nash »

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #204 on: June 26, 2004, 06:55:22 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
1990, Bush Sr.

It was wrong, even 14 years ago.

And it's still wrong today, what was that again about the leaders of countries that harbour terrorist?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #205 on: June 26, 2004, 11:42:24 AM »
So you think the right move would be to overturn the pardon and jail him?