Author Topic: Saw moors film  (Read 4387 times)

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Saw moors film
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2004, 02:23:11 PM »
Originally posted by Lizking
He can lie through his teeth and it won't be actionable, so long as he doesn't portray it as truth, but satire.

That would pass here too, but it would have to be clearly stated at the beginning of the movie or at the end.

With titles such as "the awful truth" its not very clear that its satire.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
Saw moors film
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2004, 02:52:03 PM »
He doesn't have to protray it as satire.

He isn't going to be sued for the same reason the "bush is hitler" crowd isn't sued.  

J_A_B

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Saw moors film
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2004, 03:05:31 PM »
Would the same apply if you made a movie about a random person and accused him of all kinds of things using the same tactics as Moore, or does it just apply to public persons?.

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
Saw moors film
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2004, 03:37:44 PM »
same would apply for anyone.

for example if we went to school together, I could claim that I saw you use drugs back then.

since the burden of proof is on the accuser and, while my statement is a type of accusation it's not an accusation (as far as an accusation in court).

in order for the case to be brought to court, you'd have to claim I was spreading damaging lies about you.  you'd have to prove that I said it, that it wasn't true, and that it in some way damaged you.

I don't really have to prove anything, just defend against your claims.

so while you might have no trouble proving it was said (witnesses), and that it was damaging(effected your reputation), how would you go about proving it was a lie?

you could bring up witnesses that would say that they never saw you use drugs.  but unless you where never alone, and where able to produce witnesses who could account for you not using for every minute of that time, there would still be holes where I could have seen what I say.

it's virtually imposable to prove you didn't do something, unless the accuser is willing to put exact details (like time and place) into their lie, and they won't.  most people who trade in this sort of hype know the game well enough to either leave these details out or strategically insert terms like "in my opinion", "allegedly", or "claims have been made that..."

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Saw moors film
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2004, 03:58:28 PM »
The National Enquirer gets away with it by having two sources, and then quoting the sources, saying "Sources reiterate that Bush did have contact with alien advisors from Rigel 3 during the Chinese capture of a RC-3 Orion reconnaissance aircraft"
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Saw moors film
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2004, 05:29:37 PM »
also neilson,

sueing moore for slander or liable...or whatever....would just give him more credibility.  Weather anyone here wants to admit it there is a double standard here in American especially when it comes to minoritys and librals (same thing most of the time) Its just the way it is I guess.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Saw moors film
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2004, 05:42:08 PM »
No offence intended even if it may be seen as such, but I see the United States of America as a nation with afew double standards (oh boy, im gonna get flamed for this) so its not always easy to comment on anything because some of you (americans) give differnet answers to the same question every now and then. :)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Saw moors film
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2004, 06:02:47 PM »
Has anyone come across something that asserts that anything in the film is a lie?

Yes!!  See the link below

http://slate.msn.com/id/2102723/
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Saw moors film
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2004, 06:24:51 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
No offence intended even if it may be seen as such, but I see the United States of America as a nation with afew double standards (oh boy, im gonna get flamed for this) so its not always easy to comment on anything because some of you (americans) give differnet answers to the same question every now and then. :)

Nilsen I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me but yes its true.  In the US if you are white and more specifically a republican you have to watch what you say.  If you are a minority and less a libral you can get away with saying anything you want.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Saw moors film
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2004, 06:30:10 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
Nilsen I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me but yes its true.  In the US if you are white and more specifically a republican you have to watch what you say.  If you are a minority and less a libral you can get away with saying anything you want.

Maybe its a language thing, but are you saying that if you are a republican you have to be careful about what you say but if you are a minority liberal yu can say what you want?

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
Saw moors film
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2004, 06:37:36 PM »
Originally posted by Steve

:lollook at the source:  Christopher Hitchens :lol

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Saw moors film
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2004, 06:38:15 PM »
Originally posted by Steve

http://slate.msn.com/id/2102723/

I'm guessing you didn't read that article too closely. No direct evidence of a lie in the movie at all. Keep trying though.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Saw moors film
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2004, 06:46:21 PM »
That's what I thought too, MT. I looked and looked and couldn't find anything there. I didn't say anything cuz I thought it was just me.

In a funny way, it parallel's Moore's own tactics. Moore doesn't lie, and Hitchens doesn't point to any lies, but both use every round about way to convince you of their point of view.

As long as ya have the ability to discern what's going on for yourself, it's all good.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Saw moors film
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2004, 06:47:38 PM »
Originally posted by Nash [/i]
 Moore doesn't lie,

lol

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Saw moors film
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2004, 06:49:18 PM »
Of course you know we're talking about the movie... So unlike Hitchens, can YOU point to anywhere in the movie that Moore lied?