Author Topic: Handling the Merge  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
Handling the Merge
« on: July 07, 2004, 01:48:15 PM »
Hi Guys,

I hate HOs, but I've never managed to develop a strategy for the merge with a co-alt bandit that avoids them without getting shot-down.

For instance, merge occuring - I go nose down and dive, he keeps coming and shoots up the back and cockpit of my aircraft. I go nose up - even more disastrous, now my belly is full of lead. Level turns to left or right usually expose my tail or leave me with a diminished e-state as he blows by and goes into the vertical hoping to rope - either way he's accelerating past me. I generally don't fly good rollers so a roll and flip is usually out of the question. So I just go head to head and HO guns blazing.

So, how do I best handle the co-alt merge in my main planes: the 109F (with gondolas), A6M5 and the LA5 without getting fragged?

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Handling the Merge
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 01:53:01 PM »
next time you see me, ask me to take you to the DA and work with you on this.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
Handling the Merge
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 02:36:08 PM »
Roll right or left just as he gets into gun range.  Don't pull one way or the other ( up, down left or right)  You want to still go screaming past the enemy so he can not get a shot.

This is just one of many techniques I'm sure.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
Handling the Merge
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 05:21:24 PM »
A simple roll, or slide, usually throws off most people who try and HO you at merge. No need to do anything too radical as to give up position unless your entire intention is "escape" post-merge.  Look to try and maximize your position post-merge (ie, you want to be in a superior position).  The actual merge point is not usually where the fight ends, it should be where it starts and can also be where it is decided.

If you want some merge practice or tips, drop me a line:
soda@hitechcreations.com

We can meet for an hour and talk/demo merges and it might be very enlightening.

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Handling the Merge
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 02:32:36 PM »
Give him a squirt at 1000 yard or a  little more then skid left while dipping below his gunsight - if you pull up you are giving him a lead target but dipping below he'll lose you.

If he's tracking you he'll probably miss as it's difficult to make out changes to linear movement at range - however if he doesn't dip or skid he's going to fly directly into your 1000 yard shot.

He'll be highly po'd and call you names.....if you are good at snap shooting dip below then if he breaks across yr nose use hard rudder to snap shoot him as he goes by - this also causes a lot of name calling...

Never ever stay in a straight line and never pull up in front of him, once past the other a/c keep going till - an old Spit trick was to zoom vertical and them come back at you with lots of E - they can't do it anymore so just cruise out of range and set him up again.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Handling the Merge
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 03:32:51 PM »
Heya Seagoon,
check out the following link, study it hard, and each of the other links on this page ( Mastering The Merge parts1, 2, 3, lead turns, and opening moves) these all pertain to Air Warrior, so disregard all the Head On stuff to a degree......

Mastering The Merge

everything in these write-ups , lectures will help you in dealing with different type merges.........
Avoiding the HO

:)
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TracerX

• Gold Member
Handling the Merge
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 06:02:59 PM »
I never (95% of the time) shoot on the merge, and only very rarely do other pilots land shots on an initial merge.  Durring a fight, there can be many merges, and these are much harder to avoid, so spray away on those.  On the initial merge however, I have found that going low right or left of the enemy makes the hardest target.  Also, when nearing gun range, do not hold your course steady, you must be changing your direction, even slightly to ruin their leading shot.  I usually roll slightly and pull up a little.  I usually manage to survive the merge, but get myself killed shortly after.  You will have to ask someone else what to do after the merge.  :rolleyes:

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
Handling the Merge
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 06:28:16 PM »
How to merge in AH--

First things first, alt is life.  Climb to at least 25k, the more the better.

Fly at no less than 450 MPH towards your unsuspecting victim.  Don't want anyone to sneak up on your 6!

Open fire at 1000 yards, 800 if you want to save ammo.  Continue firing until you pass him.

If he makes an evasive maneuver--oh no, he sees you!  immediately dive to the deck and "egress" back to your base

He he doesn't maneuver and you miss him on the first pass, make a level extention out of ICON range (you don't want him to see you reverse!)

Climb ack to alt, then turn around and make another attack.  Very frequently you will have to change targets at this point.

Well.....that's how I see a lot of others doing it anyway :)

J_A_B

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
Handling the Merge
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004, 07:37:54 AM »
Or you can use this tried and true method.

Fly a great turning plane (Spit 5, Zero or FM2 for example). Hang just outside your airfields AAA range and never fly over 500ft. Fly in straight , level lines and when an enemy attacks just turn as tight as you can without stalling out.

This option is great for three reasons.

1. If the enemy turns with you, he'll be dead within a few seconds.

2. If the enemy hits the ground (lawndarts) near you, you'll get the kill for free.

3. If the enemy times it perfectly and flies very well and blows you away with a great shot, you can call him a skill -less, alt dweeb boomer.

Sorry, just had to show the flip side of the coin.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline SLO

• Gold Member
Handling the Merge
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004, 09:00:01 PM »
who says you gotta MERGE....is there a rule saying YOU GOTTA MERGE.....

its all about WHAT to do WHEN to do it.....

chit I got HO'd in the DA on 1st merge...go figure that

lets say your in a F6F.....Shane the girlman is in his Lala.....say your 15k....merge.....or make em dive....which do you choose.

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Re: Handling the Merge
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2004, 10:38:08 PM »
Originally posted by Seagoon
So, how do I best handle the co-alt merge in my main planes: the 109F (with gondolas), A6M5 and the LA5 without getting fragged?

Shane has the right of it...  Seeing is believing.  Shoot me or any trainer an email and we'll show you...  I will search my films for a good example to post for yas...

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Handling the Merge
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2004, 01:23:01 AM »
Originally posted by SLO
who says you gotta MERGE....is there a rule saying YOU GOTTA MERGE.....

Ah, the war cry of the Timid Rainbow Warrior...

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline bandit752

• Copper Member
Newb here!
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2004, 12:07:55 PM »
Like to ask a question on the merge! I been reading your replies on the merge! I been finding out that, if you try and drive your car, lets say, without looking left or right you will probably crash!
I have beening finding out that you have to master controlling the plane with viewing side, semi-side and whatever is equally important.
Like to get your opinions on it!!!

Thanks!
McCuskey! VF15

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
Re: Newb here!
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2004, 12:26:39 PM »
Originally posted by bandit752
I have beening finding out that you have to master controlling the plane with viewing side, semi-side and whatever is equally important.

Having your views set correctly and learning how to use them quickly and instinctively is critical in AH.  You need to be able to maneuver without looking forward while tracking your enemy because this is the only way you can "Read" your enemy and respond correctly.  Learning all the maneuvers in the world, and perfecting them while staring forward in the cockpit does little good if you can't see the opponent to know when to execute them.  You have to be able to watch you enemy in order to know which item to pull out of your bag-of-tricks in order to defeat him.

If you actually watch some of the better AH pilots, their visual (called situational awareness) ability to read and react is incredible but often the maneuvers they employ are mostly simple and not always crisp.  Seeing, understanding, and reacting (or even anticipating) is what tends to produce more effective pilots.

Offline SLO

• Gold Member
Handling the Merge
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2004, 03:43:40 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
Ah, the war cry of the Timid Rainbow Warrior...

ack-ack

you taking it in here now monkey dweeb