Author Topic: This game  (Read 2223 times)

Offline Ohio330

• Copper Member
This game
« on: July 08, 2004, 10:41:27 AM »
Well, I am new to AH2, and like many others I have not read
the help files etc. and just wanted to jump into playing this game.
I went to the start screen and saw a list of Squadrons out there
and was repeatedly refused an invite.  I did finally get an invite, but found myself in a tank..which is not what i came to this game to primarily play.  Are the people in this game very "click" oriented
where they are picky about who they want with them?  
    I will be on tonight to be target practice for you veterans so look for me..thats is, if I can actually get into a squad.  Wish they
allowed you to go in solo.  I am no rookie to combat flight sims, but from what Ive played offline in  AH2 there is sure a learning curve for the FM's.

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
This game
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 10:56:50 AM »
Ohio, you do not have to be in a squad to play online in this sim.

There are many "lone wolf players" out there.

Just jump on into the game and kill anything that's red and moves.

Your allies will show as green icons, your available fields will show as green icons as well.

As far as the FM goes, there is a steep learning curve (as there is for the rest of the sim as well).

Have you been into the training arena yet?

If not, I highly recommend getting some 1 on 1 with a trainer, or someone who has been around awhile to show you the ropes.

If you see me on line at any time feel free to give me a holler. I am always glad to help.

I fly for the Bishops, and my in game handle is same as my BBS handle.

Cheers,

RTR
The Damned

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
This game
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 10:59:40 AM »
You dont have to be in a squadron to play at all.

If you are clicking on the join player button without first asking that player if you can. Then you are going to get a lot of refusals if not rude comments.
The reason for this is when you click that join button it pops a dialogue window up in the middle of the screen of the person you wish to join obscuring their view.

If you really were trying to join a squad be aware not all squads accept players just because they want in.
Some run a specific quota and will not accept anybody once that number is reached.

And i think you meant clique oriented not "click".

Offline maddog

• Nickel Member
This game
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 11:06:33 AM »
I believe the number is 32 for a squad.... After that they CANNOT  accept any others....

But the join command is not for a squad but to join someone plane.... Have to ask first... Many...most will accept if you ask first.... Feel free to join me anytime..... At least you'll qualify for jump pay and parachute wings.....

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
This game
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 11:17:07 AM »
There is no reason you can't go solo for a while without a squad.  You need not rush into trying to get into a squad and certainly consider which squad you join.  It is important to find a group of players that you "fit" in with in terms of character, interests, and playing times/frequency.  Often, new squads form initially in the Training Arena so there are usually lots of people looking for new squaddies in there... again, you don't need to join one though.
If you want some squad-like experience though, join a mission and fly with a group of people that way.  That will give you a feel for it and help introduce you to new players (who might invite you).

Generally, reading the Help files, and visiting a couple of helpful websites (like http://www.netaces.org) is a good place to start with AH.  Spend some time in the Training Arena and download a couple of items (like a key mapping card) so you aren't asking "how do I lower my landing gear" type questions.  People tend not to have the patience in the MA for that type of question where you could have spent 2 seconds reading to find out yourself.... asking those types of questions tends to get you unreliable responses (ie, bad advice) in the MA as often as good advice.  Also, do a couple of quick searches in this forum for advice to new players, there have been a number of excellent threads in the past that will help out.

Offline Ohio330

• Copper Member
This game
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 11:27:06 AM »
I realize my questions were premature and I should read up more about the game before I played, but I only had ten minutes
of time to play before I had to logoff.  I am now at work and thought I'd ask ya here.
    I didn't see anything that mentioned different arena's so I'll go hunting for that tonight.  I won't need alot of training in ACM..
just learning the FM's and HOW i can adjust my ACm knowledge to
the capability of the plane.

Thanks for the replies!

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
This game
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 12:06:30 PM »
Good you asked in here though, the MA advice can be a bit "poor" at times.

There are a few arenas to consider, the MA (Main Arena) is the primary game.  The TA (Training Arena) is where you can go to practice (the lethality of guns is set to zero)  or just learn things.  The DA (Dueling Arena) is just that, a place to go and duel people if you want.  Typically you'd arrange that in some other arena and agree to meet in the DA.  There is also the CT (Combat Theatre) that runs special setup, usually based on historical aircraft matchups or geographic locations (where in the MA you can fight P-51 vs P51 in the CT that wouldn't happen).

the netaces website is pretty good, you can also check out my website:

Soda's aircraft evaluations

It gives aircraft comparison and tips/tricks info. It's based on AH1 data but I'm converting it to AH2 (and mostly it's still the same).  That'll give you some background on how aircraft in AH tend to react (vs what is argued in historical comparisons).  The biggest thing to master in AH tends to be the views system and Situational Awareness, that's what really separates people.  the base ACM stuff is pretty easy but it's the knowing when/why to use any maneuver that's important.

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
This game
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 04:27:24 PM »
The "join" command (button) on the roster is used to become a gunner or observer on someone elses vehicle.

If I read this right, you thought "join" meant joining a squadron. Thats why you ended up in a tank. You joined with another person who was in a tank as an observer/gunner.

Welcome to the game!

Join the Rooks!
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline acetnt367th

• Copper Member
This game
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 05:10:04 PM »
Originally posted by Blooz

Join the Rooks!

Do the above and you will learn how to outnumber enemies 2 to 1, arrive at all fights at 30K plus, and run like hell if caught low.

:-)

sorry couldn't resist

Acetnt

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
This game
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2004, 05:36:43 PM »
You make it sound like a bad thing.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline RTStuka

• Silver Member
This game
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2004, 09:20:24 PM »
Originally posted by acetnt367th
Do the above and you will learn how to outnumber enemies 2 to 1, arrive at all fights at 30K plus, and run like hell if caught low.

:-)

sorry couldn't resist

Acetnt

Oh great now our secret is out, well I guess its time to learn how to really fight lol.

Ohio, dont worry about the squad thing right away and trust me there are alot of squads looking for members, once you fly a number of times people will start to recognize you and will invite you to join them, Good luck.

Offline Boozer2

• Copper Member
This game
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2004, 09:55:09 PM »
It's nice to get new guys in the game that are good at flight sims.

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
This game
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2004, 11:27:39 PM »
>>It's nice to get new guys in the game that are good at flight sims.

<<

Watch out for this guy (he's waving a carrot) :D

Offline Ohio330

• Copper Member
This game
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2004, 09:02:18 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  I did go in and used the trainer area.
alot of nice guys in there and very helpful  (Thanks Fuzeman!)
I also went in the MA to become dead-meat for the dang
"vulchers" heh.  Spent the night dying, and yes, that got to me,
but I'm trying to keep a positive attitude.  I DO certainly love
the voice radio..nice perk.  Dunno how many times i got bounced
in AW while typing to someone :)   Heh, went over what appeared
to be a clear airfield just to find a nice ACK round explode in front of me and blew an engine as a result..never saw that comin..is there a certain height you have to be before an ACK gun is tagged with a red icon, or did I possibly get nailed by an AI?

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
This game
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2004, 12:03:18 PM »
Hi Ohio, I did send you an e-mail, did you receive it?
Field aaa guns never get the red icon. We have auto aaa guns and some that can be manned. You will see tracers when the auto aaa fires. However, you will NOT see tracers from any  manned gun position unless that has been changed in AH2.
Come to think of it, I recall seeing man aaa tracers in the TA at the Training field so this may have changed.
The only AI online is the auto-aaa at fields and carriers and the pilots of the bomber drones. Drone pilots only and no Otto the autogunner in bombers.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54