Author Topic: God this game gets repetitive.  (Read 3939 times)

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
      • http://www.picturehangar.com
God this game gets repetitive.
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2004, 12:29:36 PM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
I always thought spitfire factories in AW were a great idea. Having destroyable factories for the Big 4 would give the buff guys a way to pee in the fighter jock's cornflakes, a good idea now that porking fuel is not effective. I imagine there'd be twice as many buff missions to the Big 4 facs than to HQs. Have the factories incrementally destoyable from light damage to totally destroyed to deprive that country of that plane type for 15 minutes to 2 hours. This would add a whole new dimension to strategic objectives. This would pick-up in the plane-set balance issue where the perk/enemy-rating system falls short.

Zazen

Agreed!

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2004, 01:25:24 PM »
Jeez Urchin, what time and country you fly for?

All I see is N1K2, P51D, 109, 190, Spit, La7, P38......  think it must be time for a change of countries to see different aircraft being flown!  

If you want to fly against 109s/190s then fly Bish - I think all the Luftwaffe squads are either Rook or Knight and you're guaranteed to be fighting 109s or 190s daily.

If you want to fly against RAF stuff then fight Bish - I think most the RAF squads are Bishop.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 01:29:43 PM by Replicant »
NEXX

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2004, 02:36:57 PM »
Originally posted by TBolt A-10
The rest of your post sounds like your heart is already set against AH2 no matter what changes.
No, don't get me wrong. AH is a brilliant game. It's the gameplay that sucks. Not much that HTC can do about that. The larger maps would help; I personally like the pizza map for its diversity, and the spread out front line which means that combat can break out anywhere instead of being focussed between two airfields while the rest of the airfields are idle.

Also, please understand that I think AH2 is a HUGE step forward from AH1 because of the gunnery and flight models revisions which, IMO, were far more important than any graphics revisions - good thought those have been too.

But wait a minute - I think you guys have hit upon something! The LA7, P51 and N1K factories! Given that so many players are fed up of seeing the opposition resort to easymode crutchplanes™, I'm sure there would be a ready supply of volunteers to whack the easymode factories! :aok:lol

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2004, 03:12:27 PM »

If HT won't perk the Uber planes, he ought to AT LEAST give us the opportunity to knock the damn things out of production for 1 hour.  

What makes these planes uber?  I just don't see why you think these planes are 'uber' just because a lot like to fly them.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2004, 03:27:51 PM »
Agree -- if they were uber planes, their all arena KPD ratio would be very high. In point of fact, the higher KPD's are among the tougher planes.

And that's because the tougher planes are flown by tougher pilots.

If you're tired of seeing the big 5, I can understand that -- there are a lot of them. However, perking, blasting the factories, or whatever would be counterporductive for AH -- because the less capable subscribers would get uniformly toasted in the tougher planes, if they have trouble with the "easy" ones!!

So, limiting the "easy" planes will drive less capable people away from the game. The vets might like having fewer ponies in the air, but without the dweebs and the journeymen AH could not be financially sound -- and would likely go the way of AW.

So do you really want to limit their fun, and drive away the guys who help pay your frieght?
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
Oh Ack-Ack....tell me you didn't
« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2004, 03:30:43 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
What makes these planes uber?  I just don't see why you think these planes are 'uber' just because a lot like to fly them.

ack-ack

Ack-Ack ,

Get your pen and Paper ready....Your going to get at least 10 reasons they're uber. At least 10 reasons why guys fly em.

This will probably be more than you wanted to know Ack-Ack. :lol
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2004, 03:51:08 PM »
Urchin himself said it best, some time ago. His words were something like "There's a reason that planes like the P51, LA7 & Spit9 are as popular as they are - and we all know what that reason is".

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2004, 04:10:43 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
Urchin himself said it best, some time ago. His words were something like "There's a reason that planes like the P51, LA7 & Spit9 are as popular as they are - and we all know what that reason is".

Maybe , just maybe...The planes some of the "Elite" guys like to fly to prove their manhood , are just harder than they think , and they in turn aren't all they thought they were?

I mean I know my place in the Arena:) It's in the tower. I have a seat in every Knight Tower on each map with my name on it. I play Traffic Controller for the Knights most of the time. :lol

"Spit IX you are cleared for takeoff Runway SW. NIK1 you are cleared for take off runway NE. P-51D you are cleared for takeoff runway East. All Flights climb to 25k for intercept of Elite Type Aircraft. Use extreme caution when Engaging due to HiWhine Factor after intial HO Pass.

All LA7 flights you are cleared for UBER Climb and Extreme Speed Cruise at 27500 for High Cover of other Slightly less Uber Aircraft. Please HO all 190's and 109's. If in trouble you are instructed to dive away at mach 4 and return to base for Clever Retort of Said whines after Sortie"

:lol
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Oh Ack-Ack....tell me you didn't
« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2004, 07:28:13 PM »
Originally posted by RedTop
Ack-Ack ,

Get your pen and Paper ready....Your going to get at least 10 reasons they're uber. At least 10 reasons why guys fly em.

This will probably be more than you wanted to know Ack-Ack. :lol

The main reason why people fly the P-51D, N1K2, La7 and the Spitfire Mk IX is that they are relatively easy to fly and very forgiving to new pilots.  That hardly makes them uber.  These planes are just as easy to shoot down as any other plane in the plane set.  It all just boils down to good tactics and good flying.

ack-ack

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2004, 08:20:14 PM »
I never thought p51D was an 'easy-mode' type plane...it only comes off like that when guys like steve fly it...now La7..#^$%^$#%^$%^$%#...its the flat out FASTEST $@$%$% non-perkie in MA...as fast as 70 point f4u4 at low alt.....still turns reasonably well compared to 51 or D9.......stall speed turning compares with G6..and it passes 550 in dive sans appreciable compression or losing wings....PRETTY $#%$#%$% remarkable for a $#@$#@ plywood radial engine plane...mutter mutter
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2004, 08:45:15 PM »
Urchin just figured out that this game is repetitive.
What's your next trick dude?  :D

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #116 on: July 25, 2004, 12:58:02 AM »
Originally posted by bj229r
I never thought p51D was an 'easy-mode' type plane...it only comes off like that when guys like steve fly it...now La7..#^$%^$#%^$%^$%#...its the flat out FASTEST $@$%$% non-perkie in MA...

Which the performance drops off dramatically above 16,000ft.  Hardly an uber plane by any stretch of the imagination.

ack-ack

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #117 on: July 25, 2004, 01:03:15 AM »
Which the performance drops off dramatically above 16,000ft.  Hardly an uber plane by any stretch of the imagination.

ack-ack

Good point except 95% of all fights either start or end up below 10K. Any altitude above 10k is more or less just an assurance that it will be much more unlikely you will begin a typical engagement at a disadvantage. So, the aforementioned qualities of the La7 far outweight it's deficiencies at higher altitudes.

If high altitude performance (15k+) were critical we'd see alot more planes suited to that niche getting play time ie: Ta-152, Jug's (not for jabo), etc. The perk/rating system is biased againt planes that perform well high where very few engagements actually occur. While those with a relative monopoly on low altitude performance, where the vast majority of fights occur, remain unperked.

Zazen
« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 01:13:31 AM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
      • http://www.picturehangar.com
« Reply #118 on: July 25, 2004, 01:09:22 AM »

ack-ack

I've flown in all 3 versions of Air Warrior and both versions of Aces High, and I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've started & finished a fight at or above 16,000 feet.  :rolleyes: :lol

Just curious, Ack-ack, do you spend a lot of time in the La-7?

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #119 on: July 25, 2004, 01:10:25 AM »
I've flown in all 3 versions of Air Warrior and both versions of Aces High, and I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've started & finished a fight at or above 16,000 feet.  :rolleyes: :lol

Just curious, Ack-ack, do you spend a lot of time in the La-7?

Exactly T-Bolt, we posted at the same time. heh
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc