Author Topic: Bush Talk on 9-11 report today.  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Bush Talk on 9-11 report today.
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2004, 12:43:02 AM »
sweet dreams :)

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2004, 12:44:29 AM »
Originally posted by Nash
Quite true.

sarcasim? heh

Nash, I view you as  a person who thinks things through based on your own understanding and intelligence , regardless of what others say or do. I deeply respect that in people.

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2004, 12:46:54 AM »
Well, let's not go crazy, Bush isn't Stephen Hawking by a long shot, but he isn't  some fence-puller off the ranch, either.

I guess the one word explanation of what the Southern attitude is would be: Empathy.  

The realization of the power of letting another person feel good at your expense;  the security of your own ego that does not require external gratification for validation.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2004, 12:47:03 AM »
No sarcasm there friend.

And thanks.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2004, 12:51:52 AM »
Nash,

I think the determaining factor in this election is going to be the debates.  Bush and kerry are really tied neck and neck and I really think if Bush puts on a strong performence that is what is going to put him over the edge.

Now I have to agree w/ you on some points.....Bush is a terrible improntu (SP) speaker.  If he's speaking to the press off the cuff he just doesnt get his point across and minces words.  Weather this is deliborate or not I dont know.

I will say this about southern speak.  Every summer of my life I went to georgia and alabam for at least a month to visit my "kin" till I was 16.  I ALLWAYS came back to Nebraska with a fairly thick souther accent.  This allways lasted a month or two before I got rid of it.  

with half my family being from the south I find myself talking like them every time I speak to them.....its contagious....

I imagine it is just as contagious for somone from there who is around "yankees" all the time to learn to talk like them and interact like them for the sake of communication.  I'm not exactly sure what i'm saying here but I've seen reels of JFK talk like a regular northerner before and not sound like he's from boston.....but some of his GREATEST speaches he's made would not sound the same if he did not have the accent.

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2004, 12:55:18 AM »
Empathy.  Wow.  Also a very valid point. Salute Liz.  A third facet.

Now that you mention it, I see that manifested much of the time in people saying what they think others want to hear, just to make them feel good about themselves, or in a self-deprecating sense of humor.  

Whether that totally explains his actions in the political arena is open to debate.  Undoubtedly there is more than one factor at work there.

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: July 23, 2004, 12:55:50 AM »
It would be a good study for some undergrad to do:

Are regional accents suppressed during formal speaking situations.

I know mine are.

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #112 on: July 23, 2004, 12:57:05 AM »
Yeah, Shukins, back in the day, when people cared, it was called "Manners".  Sorely lacking today.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: July 23, 2004, 12:58:35 AM »
Originally posted by Lizking
It would be a good study for some undergrad to do:

Are regional accents suppressed during formal speaking situations.

I know mine are.

"We choose to put a man on the moon not because it is easy but because it is hard"

Now maybe JFK was just a great speak but I really think his bostonian flare drove his points home....you agree?

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #114 on: July 23, 2004, 01:01:50 AM »
I dunno, I really can't say that Bush is just playing with people or perhaps - he simply became use to speaking in front of people he was not used to speaking in front of prior to him becoming president.

Me? Technically I'm south of the Mason Dixon line. Half my family is from the far north, other half is from the deep south. I mix my language all of the time, but that doesn't matter when I'm giving speeches - I just can't give speeches for the life of me in front of groups of unfamiliar people.

Perhaps thats what Bush's problem was, because he has certainly become much better since his first speech. He may have not been used to speaking in front of Congress and that led to some problems.

But really, who cares about speech ability? Hitler was among the best, if not the best, and look what happened...
-SW

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #115 on: July 23, 2004, 01:02:33 AM »
Yep, I liked his accent, but he could "talk flat" too.

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #116 on: July 23, 2004, 01:06:19 AM »
First, thank you SW, I wait on tenterhooks for it's reappearance.

I guess I should make clear my definition of Yankee.

You are a Yankee if you were born north of I-10

You are a Damned Yankee if you were born north of I-20

North of that, you are Canadian, or at least under their influence.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #117 on: July 23, 2004, 01:08:54 AM »
Originally posted by AKS\/\/ulfe
I dunno, I really can't say that Bush is just playing with people or perhaps - he simply became use to speaking in front of people he was not used to speaking in front of prior to him becoming president.

Me? Technically I'm south of the Mason Dixon line. Half my family is from the far north, other half is from the deep south. I mix my language all of the time, but that doesn't matter when I'm giving speeches - I just can't give speeches for the life of me in front of groups of unfamiliar people.

Perhaps thats what Bush's problem was, because he has certainly become much better since his first speech. He may have not been used to speaking in front of Congress and that led to some problems.

But really, who cares about speech ability? Hitler was among the best, if not the best, and look what happened...
-SW

relating Bush to hitler gives you no credibility what so ever.  You do realize this right.  Hitler was just one of many great speakers in that century.

Martin luther King was a great speaker.....does that make him a fascist that wants to kill jews and take over the world?

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2004, 01:10:41 AM »
I guess it is time for bed, because I read SW's Hitler comparison different.  Goodnight!

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #119 on: July 23, 2004, 01:12:38 AM »
Do you realize that Yankees live south of Canada, yet they are not called Southerners?

Makes a fella stop and think, don't it?!