Author Topic: Bush Talk on 9-11 report today.  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Bush Talk on 9-11 report today.
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2004, 10:16:22 PM »
Well, there is this little thing of an election...  

Seriously, it is not something like a daytimer that is a tool you use when you have to, it is just SOP.  Normal and everyday and done without conscious thought.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2004, 10:19:40 PM »
So he's adopted an underdog strategy to such an extent that it has become a subconscious, ingrained, fully realized persona?

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2004, 10:22:26 PM »
No, it is the way the South is.

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2004, 10:23:18 PM »
Why ditch the mask?  It's still very useful.

Howsomevah...it may have become something of a crutch for him.  He's used it so long he can't imagine not ever using it.

Who knows for certain?!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2004, 10:27:36 PM »
The lasting thing to me is the fact that he has thrust himself onto the national stage by way of an affected local persona, but chooses to keep hold of that persona in the face of national mockery.

Yeah... this entire thing could be about duration. The second, final election. And until he doesn't have any use for the game, he might as well spend the 1st four years with a coupla cards up his sleeve.

But that bothers me somehow... I can't put my finger on it.

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2004, 10:34:16 PM »
Try thinking of it as a persona he has used so often it has turned into a kind of verbal "tic" that is difficult to discard.  

I've seen people who grew up in my area...lived here for decades...move to other areas of the country...return home years later...and never realize that their speech patterns and accent have changed.  They may have made these changes to fit in, and then lost control of the process.  The mind can be a funny thing.

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2004, 10:37:28 PM »
Nash, you still don't understand.  It is not an act, a face you put on and take off.  It is the Southern attitude.  Pick up some Faulkner, or for something newer and lighter, read Queen of the Turtle Derby by Julia Reed.  It is kind of funny, and you may even learn something about the South.

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2004, 10:48:35 PM »
Nash,

Liz may be closer to the truth in that last statement than with anything else that was previously posted.  This may be Bush's way of displaying pride in his Texas upbringing and culture.

Clinton wasn't the same person in D.C. that he was in Arkansas.  He cultivated sophisticats with ease.  He could then roll up his sleeves and be perfectly at home munching catfish, hushpuppies, and cole slaw with po' fokes.

Bush does the same thing....but with a different style.  He may not be as comfortable with making the switch as Clinton was.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2004, 10:51:28 PM »
Rgr Shuckins... I think you're onto it. At least it sounds the most reasonable to me.

The debates will be interesting.... like no other debate ('cept for maybe the 1st televised debate). At least to me - I wasn't even alive for Nixon/Kennedy.

Because it will kind of answer the question for once and for all:

Has Bush's entire career of coming off as a dumb-arse been a calculated ploy to create such an air of low expectations as to completely disarm his opponents?

Will his performance in his final act be a continuation of that play?

Or....

Knowing that his use for that character is no longer needed, and further, will be astonishing to almost everyone if it were suddenly discarded, drop it, and floor Kerry with a performance that will stun just about everyone... ensuring another win, and justifying the use of that character for the last 4-8 years?

Or...

Will his "tick" be manifested so thoroughly that he is, despite having an actual hidden intelligence much greater than its expression, stuck?

It'll be fascinating...

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2004, 10:54:46 PM »
started writing that before the last 2 posts, but finished after them.... so the flow is messed.

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2004, 10:55:33 PM »
Originally posted by Nash
Will his "tick" be manifested so thoroughly that he is, despite having an actual hidden intelligence much greater than its expression, stuck?

It'll be fascinating...

Like play'n with a puppy.:lol

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2004, 10:58:10 PM »
At the risk of sounding like Grun... What do you mean?

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2004, 11:05:22 PM »
Oh chit... didn't even look at the nic.

Torque... In that case, I know what yer sayin', so nevermind the last question. :)

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2004, 11:06:32 PM »
being well spoken and being intelligent can be two very seperate things.

Bush is no dummy in my opinion. He gets his point across and seems like he acts on what he beleives is the right thing to do.

Kerry seems like he is just a talker, nothing in his head guiding him or his decisions other than the words or actions he percieves will give him an edge or make him liked.

I can't wait for the debates, should be fun.

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2004, 11:06:51 PM »
As president he has a lot more information at his disposal than he did as a candidate.  That will be useful in any debate.  

Ya got to pity the man.  Whether one agrees with his policies or not you must admit he has NOT had a happy presidency.  

As I've said before, I bet Gore gets down on knees every night and thanks God that he is NOT in the White House.