Author Topic: Vote Bug  (Read 4555 times)

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
Vote Bug
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2004, 09:17:22 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
 But I'm just a bit surprised at all the noise over one night's disruption.

So that's my vote.

- oldman

Is it really just over one night's disruption?  I don't think so.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
Vote Bug
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2004, 09:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike_2851

Oh Yeah, Bug, (just my opinion-take it for what it's worth) you don't get my vote. You have some good ideas, you seem to be passionate for what you believe, and you appear to have the best intentions for the common good of the CT. But in reading your posts I don't feel that you have the "diplomacy" needed to fill a CT Staff position.

There you go, flame away  :aok

Like I said before a CT staffer should hardly be selected for the ability to give you that warm and fuzzy feeling.

Look what the Good 'Ol Boy club has done for us so far.  A staff with about 80% of them that don't even play the game.
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline allmeta1

• Zinc Member
I agree with 2851
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2004, 10:04:18 AM »
Originally posted by Mike_2851
Ok, I'll jump in on this and open myself to all of the usual insults that follow a post.

I vote to maintain the structure as is-for now. Fork and others have some good ideas that should be refined to what the community wants-then implemented. I think the current staff does the best they can with what they have at their disposal

Hawk said it best, when he said that when somebody asks for input-they basically don't get it. All they get for their effort is a bunch of whines and a load of crap-I'm not going to quote here but just review the posts.

The mentality of: I want what I want-and I want it RIGHT NOW-has got to go away. for us it is a game that we pay money to play, therefore we feel that we have a right to demand certain things to enhance our enjoyment and playability-not going to happen (at least right away). To HTC it is a passion but most importantly a business. So the way I see it-most of HTC's bread and butter comes from the vast MAJORITY of players that fly in the MA. That arena and those players will get priority, everything else will come in at a lower priority (hopefully CT is second on that list).

In case you've forgotten-we are still in a transition phase here. The CT needs a lot of "stuff", it will come, and be the CT we were used to and hopefully even better than it was in AH1. In AH1 I absolutly despised the MA, but now that is the arena that is getting "most" of the attention-so I am spending some time in there and having quite a bit of fun, but I still consider myself a dedicated CT'er.

Finally, there have been many good and productive ideas thrown out there by many people. For those with the time, desire, and responsibility-compile those ideas (current CT staff-hint, hint) and make a working document-a mission statement of what the CT will become and who will play what roles to make the CT better than it ever was.

Oh Yeah, Bug, (just my opinion-take it for what it's worth) you don't get my vote. You have some good ideas, you seem to be passionate for what you believe, and you appear to have the best intentions for the common good of the CT. But in reading your posts I don't feel that you have the "diplomacy" needed to fill a CT Staff position.

There you go, flame away  :aok

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
Vote Bug
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2004, 10:25:47 AM »
You've all got good points, and I'm sorry if my thoughts seemed directed at anyone specifically. I know Slash is a helluva guy, and I seem to have stepped on his toes, no aspusions were intentionally cast. I too fly the majority of my time in the MA, thats where my firends are and I'm sure the same is true of the CT-office-holders.

I love the CT concept, I wish its role was reversed with the MA. But wishing that will not make it so, the majority of the players want the air-quake game they have over there, I've tried to get my squaddies to join me in the CT before, I had luck when there was a popular planeset or our side in the main was getting blinded and hammered (but the latter hasn't happened lately). But even the majority of them prefer the melee.

I don't really have any ideas for how to get the CT numbers up (definitely none that you guys haven't tried or thought of before), ironically, increased numbers is what will get the numbers up (IMHO), so you guys are stuck in the catch-22 of all time. I only fly for about 20-30 hours per tour and my schedule is kinda haphazard. I respect the idea that if you want to do something you run for office and do it, but I cannot commit the time and resources to do it well. I also think I lack the proper strategies and diplomacy that it would take to REALLY make a difference.

I look forward to your and the CTs sucess however, if you can think of anything you want a CT-advocate to do or say let me know, I do want to help

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
Vote Bug
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2004, 10:35:11 AM »
Wow, I had no idea slash was on the staff.  Hell he is supposed to be in my squad!

Personally, I think the staff is a bit crusty (besides slash of course).  There are guys in there that play about as much as I do these days.  

Not saying you shouldnt get a family vacation, but if you are volunteering for something, you would expect a passionate zeal for it at least.  

Now, it is summer so hopefully we are all out fishing, biking, working, mowing, and drinking beer in the backyard, not playing computer games....

Thats my excuse, and I am sticking to it.

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Vote Bug
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2004, 12:26:58 PM »
Edbert,
There are several major reasons why there are so few in the CT.

1. Numbers
This itself has several reasons but one being that; "Why go to the CT and try to do what we do in the MA when the plane I like isnt there?"

a. See above; "...what we do in the MA..." What do they do? All three countries do the same thing. Hord over to a base, blow it up, vulch for a while then capture it....move on to the next base.

b. BASE CAPTURE is the HEART of the MA. WIN WIN WIN is the objective!

c. Then there are those that follow the hord to do some furballing

d. Mindset; You can not perform a, b and c without numbers

2. Plane Set
This is a tuff one and is in the top two complaints in the CT and devides the CT player comunity. However, this was one of the reasons for openning the CT. The planes enabled for a week are suppose to be Historical Matchups. Thats kinda hard to do in modern times. We now know how to fly each plane to is strengths so guys dont want to fly anything that is inferior to what they want to fly. Why fly what I dont want to fly in the CT when I can always fly what I do want to fly in the MA?
3. Arena Settings
Most do not like the histroical radar settings, downtimes, item hardness, low range icons etc. Sorry but thats why its called the CT. Well actually the Combat Arena should be called the Historic Arena. If the CT was truly a combat arena then you dont need HISTORICAL SETTINGS. You can combat in anything...even GVs
4. Players Time
You said it. Some guys only have a few minutes to fly so they want to get right to it. No delays, no planning. Get right to the vulching, capturing, dogfighting !!!!! Cant do this in the CT cept on tuesday and thursday nights

The CT comunity has formed it into what it is or what some think it is. "Historic" is the name that most comes out when you mention the name CT.

On a personal note, this is what I vision in a Historic Setting
1. Dated matchups
2. Limited icons
3. limited radar
4. Wind
4. Fog
5. Clouds
6. Haze (limited visability)
7. Limited base captures (historic remember?)

What I dont like
1. Base Porking -very touchy subject right now. This really hurts when trying to plan a Historic Mission or just a mission that relates to the theme for the weeks map when the base needed has been porked, captured etc. The current CT staff refuses to reset the map theme for squad nights. Porking the third country also screws up the settings as well as planes and can even shut down the arena.
2. Furballing However, due to numbers sometimes this is the only thing to do.
3. 10 mile visabilty 24 hours a day. Chasing a dot that is actually 10 miles away heading away from the fight. Being able to see a plane on the deck when yourself is at 30k. Not very realistic
4. Limited maned ack. This goes both ways. If a base is being attacked, there should be several maned ack as well as the GVs to help defend it. Defended HQ with vast amounts of manable ack and AAA. Manable ack in cities if the capture bunker is there.
...and more but nobody wants to here them again :)

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Vote Bug
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2004, 03:02:10 PM »
You've all got good points, and I'm sorry if my thoughts seemed directed at anyone specifically. I know Slash is a helluva guy, and I seem to have stepped on his toes,

I have no issue with you at all Edbert, Bugs comments about my MA time pissed me of was all.
:D

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
Vote Bug
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2004, 10:37:47 PM »
Originally posted by Slash27
[BI have no issue with you at all Edbert, Bugs comments about my MA time pissed me of was all.
:D [/B]

Why would they piss you off?  They are just numbers.  Did I write them down wrong?
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Vote Bug
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2004, 01:44:38 AM »
Your tactics are crap Bug. ( Slash was in the MA. boohoo)You run around stomping your feet cying about how piss poor the staff is, and how your gonna save the world. All see from you is hot air."Im going to fix it" "Im going to change it" Its time to cut the crap. Lay out your plans, ideas, agenda or whatever its you think people should vote for. Put up or shut up. We all get you want our vote. We all get you claim to be the answer. You're just leaving out one minor detail. How?

btw, you miss the part where I have more time in the CT than you this year?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 03:45:57 AM by Slash27 »

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
Vote Bug
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2004, 07:31:40 AM »
Good one, Slash!  :aok

BTW, TheBug sounds more and more like "Scary Kerry" each time he posts, doesn't he?
Got solutions, Bug?
Wanna be "elected"?
Post YOUR plan on how to make the arena better, be specific, give everyone details on what you will do if they elect ya.
If you have that much time in the CT, either they are already doing something right to make you wanna play there, or, you can't hack it in the MA.
C'mon, Bug, tell us everything.

storch

Vote Bug
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2004, 07:50:22 AM »
Originally posted by eddiek
Good one, Slash!  :aok

BTW, TheBug sounds more and more like "Scary Kerry" each time he posts, doesn't he?
Got solutions, Bug?
Wanna be "elected"?
Post YOUR plan on how to make the arena better, be specific, give everyone details on what you will do if they elect ya.
If you have that much time in the CT, either they are already doing something right to make you wanna play there, or, you can't hack it in the MA.
C'mon, Bug, tell us everything.

The MA is for poooooooosies. :D

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
Vote Bug
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2004, 08:41:07 AM »
;)

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Vote Bug
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2004, 08:51:20 AM »
Originally posted by CurtissP-6EHawk

3. Arena Settings
Most do not like the histroical radar settings, downtimes, item hardness, low range icons etc. Sorry but thats why its called the CT. Well actually the Combat Arena should be called the Historic Arena. If the CT was truly a combat arena then you dont need HISTORICAL SETTINGS. You can combat in anything...even GVs
[

There's nothing historical about the CT dar settings. WWII dar gave much more info than you guys have; at better resolution  (yes; even German dar).

The CT wasn't formed to be an historic arena. If it was; HTC were/are perfectly capable of calling it the Historic arena. You'll note that they don't.

The CT was formed to silence an excrutiatingly vocal minority of BBS posters that were nothing more than a bunch of dar whiners.

And it worked; the community is refreshingly free from dar whines compared to 2/3 years ago.

The CT staff; lead in great part by guys such as Brady took that ball and ran with it to make what you guys know today as the CT.

However; one of the whiners main theories was that restricted dar would lead to a better/more populated arena. This has clearly failed.

Get this, you CT'ers: people like MA settings; especialy in an underpopulated arena. No one wants to spend hours dot chasing.

Fix these two issues: anti-historical gaming the game; such as axis CV's parked off the Isle of wight during BOB week; and dot chasing, and you'll see more numbers; especialy the latter.

I  think many more people are attracted to historical match ups than you guys appreciate.

Your fanatical adherence to unpopular arena settings is what's keeping people out (none of this is directed at you personaly; Curtis; I merely thought you're points needed counterpoise).

The CT is in danger of chasing it's own tail. You've got a small bunch of hardcore supporters who by definition don't match the same marketing profile as MA users; trying to come up with ideas on how to appeal to more MA users. About as much use as a Mcdonalds boss trying to market to vegitarians.

Try this: loose the "hardcore" settings for the first two days of the week; suck 'em in to the planes sets; wonderfull maps and "ethos" of the CT. Screw the settings up on friday and saturday to give each week a "hardcore finale". Only issue scores on hardcore days.

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
Vote Bug
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2004, 09:15:43 AM »
From 8-9-2001:
"A new arena is now up. It's called "Combat Theater" and deals with historical, quasi-historical and perhaps even what-if setups. The Theater will rotate between different settings. How long that rotation period will be dictated by response.

We're are now poised to open up a lot more diversity of gameplay in AH, and this is a step in that direction. There's a lot more to do to fulfill the potential of this and other expanded offerings, but we'll continue to add and improve as we always have.

You can find info on the current setup in the login message of that arena.

The arena was, IMO, supposed to be an historical one.  How much reduced icons and dar was intended to be a part of that is something only Pyro can answer.
I do agree with Seeker:  Try enabling MA-style icon ranges for a while and see if the numbers increase.
Do one thing at a time, make one change and evaluate the effect on attendance, before making another one.
I'd vote for increasing the icon range as the first change to be made, just to see if the attendance goes up.
Just my two cents worth.......

:cool: :cool:

storch

Vote Bug
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2004, 09:41:42 AM »
Originally posted by eddiek
From 8-9-2001:
"A new arena is now up. It's called "Combat Theater" and deals with historical, quasi-historical and perhaps even what-if setups. The Theater will rotate between different settings. How long that rotation period will be dictated by response.

We're are now poised to open up a lot more diversity of gameplay in AH, and this is a step in that direction. There's a lot more to do to fulfill the potential of this and other expanded offerings, but we'll continue to add and improve as we always have.

You can find info on the current setup in the login message of that arena.

The arena was, IMO, supposed to be an historical one.  How much reduced icons and dar was intended to be a part of that is something only Pyro can answer.
I do agree with Seeker:  Try enabling MA-style icon ranges for a while and see if the numbers increase.
Do one thing at a time, make one change and evaluate the effect on attendance, before making another one.
I'd vote for increasing the icon range as the first change to be made, just to see if the attendance goes up.
Just my two cents worth.......

:cool: :cool:

That would be altogether too reasonable